Ali music video-what Ali would have wanted?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Kleist, Dec 18, 2001.

1. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Dec 4, 1999
    I happened to catch that craptastic Ali video the other day, but it got me thinking. In the video, it's basically R Kelley in red white&blue boxing outfits, to fit in with the patriotism trend. Also they showed quite a few unnecessary shots of servicemen/women from different branches. IIRC, Ali was and is quite anti-war, and given his heavy involvement with the picture, do you think it was appropriate? Please no political stuff, I'm trying to focus on the actual man and his views
  2. Troy LaMont

Troy LaMont Supporting Actor

Mar 11, 1999
    Typically the music videos from a movies soundtrack have little or nothing to do with the movie itself. That's just another avenue for a third-party creative to get his/her '15 minutes' (or maybe 3 1/2 minutes) of fame.

The most I've seen is maybe clips from the movie itself within the music video.

With that regard, I don't think that Ali (the man) would really have any input at that level.

Just my $.02.

3. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Jul 24, 2000
    The Ali of today, or the Ali of the 60's/70's?

Today: yes, he would have liked a patriotic theme that promotes a spirit of unity and helpfulness.

The Ali of the 60's: no way, he would have made it about islam or black America. He didn't think very highly of America in general, and white America in particular.