What's new

Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection: 9/7! (1 Viewer)

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Cool, thanks for the link. And yes, I know it's Universal, but this was completed in 2001, and it still isn't out yet? Hello! What's the frickin' holdup here?

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
I will be picking up Dial M for Murder and Strangers on a Train (reissue). I am not a Hitchcock completist and so I will try to resist the temptation of getting the rest (I have watched most of them), and besides I won't be able to afford them all anyway (with all the other excellent titles coming out this Fall).

-D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To those complaining about double-dipping, this boxset will probably cost less with the nine films then purchasing the seven unreleased films separately.

Edit: The boxset's MSRP is $99.92 which probably means I'll be able to buy this set from an online retailer further discounted at less than $8.00 per dvd.

Drew Salzan

Second Unit
Great news! I too already own North by Northwest, but don't mind double dipping for the box set. WHV box sets tend to be good values (cheaper than buying them separately), so it's no big loss. I'll give the extra copy to my cousin.

When will I learn my lesson though? Shelling out about $20 a pop knowing The Man Who Knew Too Much and The Trouble With Harry were not from restored prints (note lack of Paramount VistaVision logo at the beginning of the former), I still proceeded. I'm sure Universal Home Video's restored releases will be bargain priced like all of their other DVD's, a trend these days with the exception of Sony-Tristar :frowning:.

A side note: I believe Fox Home Video is planning a release of Lifeboat as a part of their Studio Classics series. Yeah!

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
I might very well get the box set if indeed it turns out to be cheaper, but it's way too early to know what kind of deals will exist (such as at Costco).

I recently bought the 5 dvd Cary Grant box set even though I only wanted 3 of the dvds, since the box set was cheaper than buying the 3 individually. However, I'm not sure if a box set of 9 will be cheaper than 5 (or 6 if Strangers on a Train is truly either a new version or better pq).

Claude North

Second Unit
Drew: I believe you're correct about Fox releasing Lifeboat . In fact, I think I read (perhaps on www.thedigitalbits.com) that MGM is planning to release several Hitchcock titles as well, including those discontinued Criterions, plus Young and Innocent and either Sabotage or Saboteur (I get those two confused--the one that isn't the Universal release).

It's a good year for Hitchcock fans.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Great news. I'll be picking up Dial M for Murder, Foreign Correspondent, Suspicion & Strangers on a Train: Special Edition.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
Can't wait!

NOW...if only Universal will get off their hindends and re-do Pyscho properly.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Warners will have some more of my $ come September. As much as I've spent on them this year and last they might as well be listed as co-owner of my bank account.

Although I already have NxNW and the original SOAT I have no problem double dipping here because the box set price will be too attractive to pass up. I'm guessing around $60 - $65 on line.

For what it's worth, I don't believe Fox has confirmed anything about Lifeboat. They did say in a recent chat that it MAY be considered for a Studio Classics title, but certainly nothing was said to allow a definitive statement to be made about it.

Tommy G

Screenwriter
Very very happy. If I wasn't so bashful, I'd be doing that patented Dave Lambert naked dance right now. Oh, what the heck, for Dial M for Murder I'll do it.:D

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
My only complaint with Psycho is that it is not 16:9 enhanced and they omitted the isolated score which was on the concurrent laserdisc. Neither of those would make me want to divert any resources towards a re-do that could otherwise be used to release many classic Universal and pre-1950 Paramount titles not yet on DVD.

Is Warner really using the title "Signature Collection"? That's more or less the same designation that Universal used to use for their own series of SEs, particularly in the later laserdisc days.

Regards,

Herb Kane

Screenwriter

I would assume so Ken. The recent Cary Grant boxed set was a "Signature Collection" as were the recent release sets of Garland (April) and Bogart late last year.

Conrad_SSS

Second Unit
FYI, Turner (now Warner-owned) used "Signature Collection" for their Bette Davis features (through MGM/UA)on VHS and LD in 1988, and for their Lucille Ball features (through Turner Video)on VHS and LD in 1989....years before Universal ever adopted the term.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks