What's new

Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 2... (1 Viewer)

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
A local store put it out early, but let me buy it despite the fact that they couldn't find it in their system. Early Hitch is welcome Hitch indeed.

I haven't watched any of it yet, but I can report that this time around we get single-sided discs. I've never once had a problem with DVD-18s myself, but for those who have, this should come as a pleasant surprise. Now if Universal could just manage to release the seasons faster than once a year....

One minor gripe: The cover and back cover are IDENTICAL to Season 1 (except for the text on the back). Same pictures, just a different color. I'm all for uniformity, but sheesh.

James@R

Second Unit
My local Best Buy actually included this on their front display last Tuesday. I just assumed that was its release date, and didn't pick it since I was already buying a couple of other sets.

But now that Universal has ditched the dvd-18s, I wonder if future versions of existing sets (ie. AHP S1) will also be single-sided?

Jeff#

Screenwriter
It doesn't matter to me whether the discs are single-sided or double-sided. The first season discs looked great, but I don't like how on a few of the episodes Universal edited down some of Hitchcock's introductions and closing comments. They also edited out the sketch of Alfred leading into commercials.

Did they do the second season right?

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
This episode just might be my fave from Season 2. An excellent ep. with David Wayne having trouble ridding himself of a certain troublesome object he stuffed into the trunk of his car. :)

Jeff#

Screenwriter
The second season of Alfred Hitchcock Presents has at least a few additional remakes of radio's SUSPENSE series including "De Mortuis" and "Wet Saturday". In fact, Wet Saturday on SUSPENSE was remade twice on the same series. I didn't care for any of the versions. TV did it better. :)

"Back for Christmas" was also better on the Hitchcock series than it had been on SUSPENSE (of which again 2 versions were recorded). Both programs relied heavily on short stories by noted authurs, the most talented of whom was Cornell Woolrich.

Tom.W

Second Unit
How about the sketch of Hitch and musical interlude going into and out of commercials, anyone? Neither DVDBeaver nor the other reviews mentioned if this is included. Although if the running time is approx. 26 minutes, that's a good sign.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I have only viewed the first two episodes of disc one so far but I'm happy to report that both had the Hitchcock drawing with music between acts as originally aired.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
I've watched the first four episodes and "De Mortuis" and "Kill With Kindness" do not have the Hitchcock drawing for commercial.

I also notice a low frequency sound every time someone speaks. It's irritating to some degree.

During "Kill With Kindness" there were several audio pops loud enough to hurt my ears. I stopped, ejected, put back in, played again, and they were still there.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

I noticed the same thing. Happened about 3 times in that episode. Its a fault with the show or the transfer. It isnt your player or TV.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
While I don't think the plot synopses give away too much on the case, they still can "spoil" the story for you if you don't want to know anything.

Thanks, RickER. You saved me a trip to exchange this title.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan - What is the r2 release of Season One like? I just came across the r2 release on Amazon.co.uk (I didn't know it had come out) and was planning to get it, but since you apparently have both the r1 and r2, I thought I might just get your comments, if that's okay.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
People complained about freezing on the first season set, but I had no technical problems whatsoever. Maybe that's because I'm using a Panasonic deck.

The 2nd season I'll be buying, but probably not till early next year after I've had a chance to re-watch the entire Get Smart series (plus 9 hours of extras) and 31 episodes of Match Game first.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Jonathan. I think I'll go for the r2 then, cope with that one audio sync problem, and be glad I'm not getting spoiled or any of the episodes (since I've never seen the show) and avoiding DVD-18s.

Chad E

Stunt Coordinator
I picked this up today, and I haven't actually gotten into it yet. However, I noticed something odd, so I thought I'd ask about it here.

On my Season One set, if you place the set in front of you, with the front cover facing you, the opening in the box that the discs slide into is on the right side. This seems to be a fairly standard configuration for sets that use this type of packaging. However, for my Season Two set, the opening is on the left. Are all Season Two sets like this, or do I have some kind of weird variant?

It's not a big deal... I'm just curious.

ThorstenB

Auditioning
Real Name
Thorsten
That's funny, because i ordered my first season from the UK and it has the opening on the left side which i find is strange and now that i ordered season two from the U.S. and A. i thought at least the opening is now on the correct right side... so it looks like it is not... grrrr

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks