Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Season 2

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by JohnOPR, Jun 23, 2006.

1. JohnOPR

JohnOPR Stunt Coordinator

TV Shows on DVD states that season 2 of Alfred Hitchcock Presents is on the way. Release date projected for 17 October....Hooray for great things! I wasn't sure we'd ever see this happen.

2. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Cinematographer

Joe
    And let's hope that Universal really has stopped using DVD-18's. Season 2 of "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" had 39 episodes, and I'd hate to see Universal try to jam them all onto one or two discs!

3. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Joe, they haven't announced a DVD-18 set for awhile now.

Gord

4. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Count me in. I didnt buy season 1 because of the DVD 18, but worse was the apparently edited stuff.

5. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

And they never crammed that many episodes onto one DVD-18. They would have used two DVD-18's. They will probably use four DVD-9's now which is roughly the same space as two DVD-18's. Cramming was never an issue with DVD-18's at least not with the Universal ones. Most of their old movie collections and TV shows they released this way featured great transfers. The only problem was that some could not get them to play on their player so apparently Universal has stopped using them.

6. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Holy Crud Bombs!

Universal has stopped using DVD-18s!!!

This is the best DVD news in years. I can't believe that this hasn't got more coverage.

Personally, I have avoided nearly $1000 worth of purchases from Universal because of the unreliability of the format coming from Universal. I never asked that they stop using this format, simply that they admit there is a quality problem and do something about it.

Either way, I'll take the end result which is discs that I can rely on playing whenever I get around to playing them.

Hopefully, they'll re-issue some of the previous boxes so that I can catch up.

Munsters
    Emergency
    Abbott & Costello
    etc.., etc..., etc....

7. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I'm defintiely happy to see this coming but I wish they'd increase the releases to one every six months as opposed to once a year. At least, it's coming. [​IMG]

8. Susan Nunes

Susan Nunes Stunt Coordinator

Unlike some, I haven't had any problem with the Universal discs.

I am glad to hear the second season is coming out. I love that show.

9. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

I haven't had any problems with Universal discs either. [​IMG]

10. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

God forbid! That'd be a stupid move indeed. If they use only 4 DVD-9s, a lot of people will balk. Four discs wouldn't be enough platters using DVD-9. Season 1 of AHP has three DVD-18s, which means that S.2 (if on DVD-9s) will have six discs.

They could easily get that number down to 5 discs though (with 8 eps. per DVD, a la the perfectly-acceptable MTM sets, which all have 8 shows per disc side). But utilizing only 4 discs via DVD-9s would, indeed, be "cramming".

11. Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald Screenwriter

Peter Fitzgerald
    Good news about ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS: SEASON 2 coming out, especially if it isn't a DVD-18.

I hope Universal will also give the nod to DRAGNET: SEASON 2 (1967-68), since SEASON 1 has been out for a year now.

12. Craig Beam

Craig Beam Screenwriter

Craig Beam
    What amazes me is that people will boycott hundreds (or even thousands) of dollars worth of DVD purchases over a technical issue that's easily avoidable by buying a newer player for under $100.00. I've been using JVCs and Sonys for the past five years, and I've never once had a problem with DVD-18s.

13. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

It's not always the player (although in some cases I'm sure it is). I've had two messed up DVD-18s and they didn't work in a 'good' player, a cheap piece of junk player or on a computer.

14. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    Nice thought Craig. But my once $1000 Sony 7700 and my $125 Samsung upconverting player both hate DVD 18s. I speak with my pocket book, and i guess Universal may have got the point. Glad you didnt have problems though. I have a friend who hates them because he has a 300 disc Sony player. He cant use them in the carousel changer.

15. Jeff#

Jeff# Screenwriter

Panasonic players manufactured from 2004 on are among the best of the consumer units, although in my case I've purchased their DVD recorders instead. The 2003 model lasted almost 3 years but the DMR-E-30 no longer records reliabily on certain discs.

My 2005 Panasonic DMR ES-20 is both affordable ($169 retail, and I still record off the cable TV) and extremely durable.