What's new

Alfred Hitchcock Presents Coming To Dvd In 2005...i Hope!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
While Universal hasn't re-issued the first two seasons of Miami Vice as single sided DVDs, they have put those seasons on single sides for the complete DVDs.

Maybe when they exhaust the stock of boxsets containing flippers, they'll re-issue them as single sided DVDs. They will have to retool the boxes - putting in stacked plastic holding cases.

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator

It's not prejudice. They simply have errors and don't always work. When I first got the set I thought the same thing you did and watched about half of the episodes randomly just to make sure it seemed like they all worked and it was fine. By the time I got around to watching the set all the way through, six months later or so, a handful of episodes on each disc were now defective. Don't ask me why that happened, but there were at least a couple that worked fine initially that don't now. The episodes pixellate and freeze up. With a couple you can just fast forward through it but there are a number of them which are completely unwatchable. The only option is to stop the episode and start another. They won't play on any of my players. And by this point it was too late to return it anywhere. I'm still glad to have the ones that do work, but this set is a disgrace and they should be ashamed for releasing it as they did.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Is there any consistent pattern as to which S1 episodes are problematic? I recently bought S1 and S2 and have been slowly watching the S1 episodes, maybe 2 a week (we're through about the first 10 now). No problems yet.

JeffT.

Deceased Member
It has been such a long time now but it must have been somewhere on the first disc...at least for me!

But once I encounter problems with a DVD set especially the double-sided microcompressions (DVD-18s) I avoid them like the plague.

Most retailers will reasonably permit an exchange or refund on one return but beyond that forget it! The merchants will likely blame the DVD player as the fault not the actual discs themselves.

There will always be someone who says, "These discs are just fine" but such is not the case here as the problem was too widespread in its frequence. Considering how badly this software turned out I am surprised that it is still being marketed.

If Universal Studios Home Entertainment wants to remint the season one episodes on 5-discs with complete and high quality source elements I will gladly give them another try...otherwise no deal! You just don't ignore something that has given you problems.

Jeff T.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Best Buy doesnt even carry most of the DVD 18s that were a problem. You cant find AHP season 1, Adam-12, or Columbo season 3 (the only DVD18 of that show). I assume they were to much a hassle.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
It's alot more likely that they don't stock them because they're old shows that don't sell after being out for two years or so. If they had a popular title and every copy was broken but it still sold, they wouldn't care that it was broken since it was selling. Obviously that's an exaggeration but my point is that if a disc is selling, it would be on the shelf despite any frequent problems.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Count me in as someone who has avoided this series based entirely on the problems with S1 and my own personal experiences with DVD-18s. As badly as I want to own every season of AHP, I am not about to start buying it with season 2 until I know that season 1 is available on a reliable format. Until then, I will skip all of these releases.

Truly sad! :frowning:

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
For Peterson's sakes, it's an ANTHOLOGY series, it doesn't matter what order you watch them in! I have all three seasons and have been watching the latest release (Season 3) and I've been blown away by the quality. This is better than they ever appeared on the televisions of the day (at least to my eyes).

michael_ks

Screenwriter

No, RickER is completely correct on this. EVERY BestBuy I've been in lately stocks every single season of Columbo except for S3. I've specifically asked an employee why. Answer: Not stocking S3 means no customer return hassles over disc freezing. Universal's blunder means I can't take a chance on either this set (one of the best seasons in the Columbo series) nor S1 of AHP.

For the life of me I cannot understand the idiocy of releasing DVD-18s when Universal seemed committed to releasing single sided discs to the first two seasons of "Columbo" to begin with.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I was just browsing on Amazon and found that they are selling all three seasons of Hitchcock Presents for $19.99. Since I previously avoided this series, I'm tempted to pick up all three now for this great price. The other side of my brain is telling me that something is brewing and studios only do this to clear out inventory for a new release. With the long break since season 3 was released, could there be a new super set on it's way or is this just a promotion for season 4? Has anybody heard anything?

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Thanks guys! I'm probably overthinking again! :)

I just ordered mine. For that price, I'll take the chance on skipping discs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks