What's new

Alfred Hitchcock Premiere Collection - Oct 14, 2008 (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Randy,

One thing I love about their return policy (including what you've written above) is that they will take back items even after the thirty days have expired. I don't believe they advertise this as such, but I have had to do it about three or four times, and have had no problem. And another aspect that I really appreciate is that one can, with their thirty-day window, 'mix' and 'match' the replacement item with the first bought item, pretty much assuring that you will eventually get a pristine copy. :emoji_thumbsup:

Wesley Ray

Grip
Real Name
Wes Ray
Assuming they have another 20% off sale at DeepDiscount, I think I'll pick this one up during said sale. I already have Lifeboat, Spellbound, Rebecca, and Notorious, but I've not yet had a chance to pick up any of the PD releases or Paradine Case, so I'll probably double dip on this one and just keep my Criterions for collecting purposes.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
There have not been any PD releases of Paradine Case. Anchor Bay licensed it from the ABC library/Disney in the late 1990s.

Regards,

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
Consumer reviews at Amazon.com reveal a great many people having the same defective disc problem that I experienced....sound like a bad batch??

Jay*W

Second Unit

Ken,

I believe that you may have misread Wesley's post, as I do not think that he was implying that there have been any public domain releases of Paradine Case -- he said "but I've not yet had a chance to pick up any of the PD releases or (emphasis added) Paradine Case".

Regards,

Jay

Fabian Kusch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Fabian Kusch
As expected the plastic case of my set was slightly cracked when it arrived at my German home (sent by Axelmusic from Britain). Well, I've never complained about slightly damaged packages before - I guess I don't care too much about the packaging anyway. At least I understand we can't expect all sets to be in pristine shape after having been shipped halfway around the globe.

But what I'm really picky about is the lack of quality control regarding the discs themselves. NOTORIOUS actually had some remnants of glue at the edge of the disc - on the recorded side! You'd have to scratch it off with your fingernail or treat it with alcohol to get it off. Of my 3000+ DVDs I've never encountered such a badly produced DVD as this one. Luckily the disc played fine and I'm not afraid to mention I instantly produced a private copy of that disc for safekeeping.

ALL of the discs in the set produce a moderate humming sound on my one standalone, but a very distracting loud noise on the other - loud enough for me to have trouble listening to the dialogue.

Some of the discs were scratched but I'm happy to say only slightly so.
All of them played flawlessly on my gear, but with quality issues like these, one can easily imagine sensitive DVD players having trouble playing all of them correctly.

As I understand Fox distributes this set for MGM. I sure hope they put a little more effort in their forthcoming expensive BORZAGE and MURNAU collection.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller

I'm really happy about this, but also annoyed because I already bought the set. I guess I'll try to plow through the box ASAP, eBay it, and the pick up the titles I really want to own (Rebecca, Notorious, Young and Innocent, maybe Sabotage).

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
If I already own all the Criterion versions of these films along with the individual release of Lifeboat, is there really any reason to purchase the entire set rather than pick up the singles of "The Lodger", Sabotage", Young And Innocent", and "The Paradine Case"?

In other words, are the new transfers, supplements and book included in this new collection of quality enough to merit repurchasing all of these movies?

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I think the commentaries on the 3 titles previously available on Criterion are superior...anyhow, I really needed the earlier titles and Paradine Case, so I bought it...still trying to get one without defective discs, though. :frowning:

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Fantastic news. I was starting to consider doling out for this set just to get the one film I don't have (and want) Young & Innocent. Great to find out I'll be able to grab this lesser-known classic without buying 5 other discs I don't need.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
So:

Upset people that already have some of the films, enticing some to double-dip or sell off their other copies

Upset the boxset purchasers when they can't play what they bought

Upset the boxset purchasers when they learn that the titles they really wanted are now going to be available as single film releases

Just beautiful.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
You missed the 4th group Rich D:

Happy people who never had any of the titles previously, got an amazingly classy looking box set that's sturdy, discs with no scratches and play fine on their LG and SONY players, all for a really good price.

Honestly, with all the problems you guys are having, I'm thinking my boxset got made at a different factory or off planet. And you have to remember, the companies aren't out to serve you personally, they're out to move units. MGM never released these titles before, CRITERION and FOX did. You can't really blame the new MGFOX whatever it is to not bundle up all the Hitchcock they can into one wheeler dealer set? WARNERS and UNIVERSAL did, and no ones kicking their balls up their throats are they?

I'm extremely pleased with this set (and yeah, I had one the titles, LIFEBOAT. I gave it to a friend) and my hats off to FoxGM for releasing it. It eases the pain of the even more impressivly Murnau set that's just too pricey for me to blind buy. Thanks Fox/MGM!

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Russell, I'm happy that you're happy but your post is way off the mark.

Criterion didn't have the distribution rights to Rebecca, Spellbound and Notorious they purchased the rights. If MGM HAD just released these films many a Hitchcock fan would have had a quality release of these films at a lot lower price point. Why should we give MGM a pass on that? So saying that MGM didn't double dip on these titles is nonsense. They just got our money through a transaction with another company, nothing more.

When Universal released their Masterpiece set of Hitchcock titles in 2005, Hitch fans BLASTED them for not releasing those titles individually. Now Universal is trolling for suckers by releasing the big titles yet again before the eventual Blu-Ray release and some of us have commented on that as well.

It would be one thing if the vast majority of this Hitchcock set was new AND the customer won't regret paying a good chunk of change for it a year later. But, hells bells some for sure are already regretting it with individual releases coming out before six months have gone by. How are they going to feel when this stuff gets released in Blu-Ray?

Face it. There is only one reason that Notorious and some of their other big titles are not being released on Blu-Ray now. That's to hoover some more sucker change before they do.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

As far as Blu-Ray, everything gets double dipped to Blu-Ray, So get used to it. And no ones forcing anyone to buy any of these titles. Don't be angry with the studios just because you decide to buy every version of every title released.

The studios could be doing this:
Hmm... looks like sales are stagnant on Hitchcock. It would be nice to get more money out of these titles, especially with remasters done for HDTV but the fans hate double dips, let's just sit on these.

Also, it worked out to about $9 a title for me. In the land of double dips, this is hardly the rack of pain screw job that it's being portrayed as.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

I always love the 'it only works out to X per title' rationale. That's the sort of logic that gets someone ... living in a van down by the river.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks