What's new

Alfred Hitchcock films in 4K?? (1 Viewer)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
So basically the best results you're going to get out of the Hitchcock catalog for 4k AT PRESENT (good luck restoring Trouble With Harry and Man Who Knew Too Much) are from these titles:

Dial "M" for Murder
Vertigo
North By Northwest
Marnie
Torn Curtain
Topaz
Frenzy
Family Plot

No. Dial "M" is nowhere near 4k. Marnie is soft. Torn Curtain, all you'll see are (I believe it's Gloria Gorvin's) protective knee pads.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
I watched a little Black Narcissus on TCM the other night and it looked like a new 4K scan. Could Criterion be prepping that as it’s first?

sjbradford

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
sjbradford
I’d like to see Hitchcock’s take on “White Christmas”. Maybe Emma the nosy housekeeper, who causes all the trouble in the last act, is murdered.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
If they can do anything with the two that have always been sourced from reductions...that's the question.

At least since 2012 (masterpiece collection) they were not sourced from reductions anymore but from 8-perf IP's and they have the detail to prove it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I’d like to see Hitchcock’s take on “White Christmas”. Maybe Emma the nosy housekeeper, who causes all the trouble in the last act, is murdered.
If she is, then I'm probably the culprit (though I love actress Mary Wickes to distraction, but that character does not get the comeuppance she deserves for causing so much trouble).

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I really doubt many Hitchcock films would end up on physical UHD disc besides Vertigo, North by Northwest, and Psycho. Though, some of his films could use newer masters.

I watched a little Black Narcissus on TCM the other night and it looked like a new 4K scan. Could Criterion be prepping that as it’s first?

From digging around, looks like there's a 4K restoration from 2015. Criterion released their Blu-ray (and DVD upgrade) in 2010 alongside The Red Shoes, which was from its 4K restoration at the time. Though, the original Blu looks quite beautiful, even if a notch or two below the full 4K workflow ones for the rest of P&P's Tech films.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
From digging around, looks like there's a 4K restoration from 2015. Criterion released their Blu-ray (and DVD upgrade) in 2010 alongside The Red Shoes, which was from its 4K restoration at the time. Though, the original Blu looks quite beautiful, even if a notch or two below the full 4K workflow ones for the rest of P&P's Tech films.

I don’t see 4K source mentioned on the case or inside the the pamphlet of the current criterion from 2010.

Noel Aguirre

Supporter
Real Name
noel
That would be difficult if the 4k restoration was finished in 2015.

LO- now be nice! I thought he meant there was also an older 4K restoration- but he's referring only to The Red Shoes having one in 2010. Thanks for the reading comprehension test.
Now I can only hope Black Narcissus gets released in UHD in addition to it streaming.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
LO- now be nice! I thought he meant there was also an older 4K restoration- but he's referring only to The Red Shoes having one in 2010. Thanks for the reading comprehension test.
Now I can only hope Black Narcissus gets released in UHD in addition to it streaming.

Sorry but it did actually not cross my mind that you could have meant a second 4k restoration as I still believe that it is miraculous that these movies got even one :)

I think that Black Narcissus having a 4k master does not mean that much, Criterion has quite a few titles that have a 4k master but so far only 1080p Blu-rays for those and 1080p streaming of course as their channel does not offer 4k yet. At least if they decide to start with UHD they'll have quite a number of movies to choose from that actually have 4k masters - something that today's 200 million $$ blockbusters often don't have.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Warners might give us North by Northwest since its Blu-ray master is so spectacular and seems to be in good shape. Would it being in VistaVision make getting a 4K scan more problematic?

I'd be more impressed if they'd just suck it up and do a new to Blu scan of Stage Fright, and, Mr. and Mrs. Smith - the only two Hitchcock's from Warner still MIA in hi-def.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
I really doubt many Hitchcock films would end up on physical UHD disc besides Vertigo, North by Northwest, and Psycho. Though, some of his films could use newer masters.

Could Uni just get off its lump and remaster The Man Who Knew Too Much for standard Blu-ray - a painfully ugly viewing experience currently. I will second To Catch A Thief as a great looking UHD title.

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
Hitch should have made a Christmas film, either religious or secular.

I think PSYCHO was as close as Hitchcock got to making a Christmas film. The opening shot contains a caption, "FRIDAY, DECEMBER THE ELEVENTH"

And when Marion is driving out of Phoenix with the loot, you can clearly see festive Christmas decorations hanging across the boulevard. Norma Bates as the Ghost of Christmas Past?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks