What's new

Alfred Hitchcock films available on blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Criterion generally will release one a year with a major filmmaker who they hold several films for, like Chaplin or Hitchcock. That's just the way it is and I like that they take time and make great editions with extras rather than just jamming everything out at once.Foreign Correspondent is likely for January 2014 from Criterion.The titles that are left are lower tier and I doubt we'll get most of them, I think even considering Hitch has maybe more of his films out in Blu than almost any other director so it's hard to complain!

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
While I agree that most of the 'important' and 'must have' films have been released, and that most people won't buy what titles are left, there's still a lot of fans like me who aren't getting any younger and would like to see more than 1 title a year released. This is why I'd like a box set from Criterion. Quite frankly, I usually watch extras about once or twice.

It would be interesting to figure out what percentage of a director's films are out there on blu-ray in any country. Hitchcock is at 50%. I would guess Spielberg, Scorcese, Coppola and that era would be close to 80%. Ford, Huston, Hawks may be less than 50%.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
I think it's more instructive to go by # of titles rather than percent, because many directors have 100% of their works on Blu if they only did one film!I can't think of a director that has more actual titles on Blu off hand, you'd have to get into counting Spielberg's films maybe to match him for volume.We're not going to see the same level of comprehensive release on Blu that we got on DVD. I'd say beyond the 4-5 more that Criterion may release and possibly the other Warner titles via Archive Blu when it's sorted, we may not get too much more than we have right now.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
It's interesting to remember that it wasn't that long ago that there was NO Hitchcock on Blu-ray. Except for a few disgraceful transfers, he hasn't done too badly in a fairly short amount of time.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
if I'm not mistaken the home rights of the 9 are owned by different companies, some Studio Canal which would go to Lionsgate and the rest are with Criterion here. CC also has Foreign Correspondent through the Winchester deal, since Warners lost it's rights. Warners would be able to release:SuspcionMr. & Mrs. SmithThe Wrong ManStage FrightI ConfessMGM/Fox has the ABC titles for now though they've already put out the "Big" titles from that group without releasing the rest that were in their earlier set, including The Paradine CaseFox also owns Lifeboat from that set which to me is the last major title we need to get in a US release format.I believe Cohen has Jamaica Inn coming at the end of the year or next year.I'm Uncertain about who owns Under Capricorn, though Image released the last DVD so theoretically Criterion could get hold of it if they chose to, or Image could release.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
You are correct on the above, Moe. I was also just looking at the LA Museum's promo for the recent Hitchcock 9 screenings, and it says this: The Hitchcock 9 is a joint venture of the BFI, Rialto Pictures/Studiocanal, and Park Circus/ITV. So, one or more of these companies will likely put these out or license them for a box set after the tour.

And yes, until 2012 I think there were only 2-3 titles out there. I got spoiled by the gluttony of releases last year.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
The Park Circus/ITV titles are Criterion's to release I believe, and after the way SC has treated Criterion I doubt they'd be interested in any sort of license for the remaining SC controlled titles. So look for, if anything one box set and annual releases from Criterion, or the very small possibility of a "British Sound Hitchcock" Box set of lesser titles.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Of the American films, my opinion is that there are 3 "big" films yet to hit BD in the US. LIfeboat, Foreign Correspondent, and Suspicion. I'm hoping that Fox is holding off releasing LIfeboat in order for Mr. Belston and team to have more time to work their magic on it. It's a terrific film all around and RAH explained the difficulties bringing it to DVD in one of his threads.

FC should be coming from Criterion within a year....no worries.

Suspicion is one that will be debated. I really enjoy this film and it's hard to beat a cast that has both Cary Grant and Nigel Bruce in it :) Would it have been better with Hitch's preferred ending? Absolutely but it didn't happen so time to move on.

The remaining British films will all be first time buys for me if released so I'll take whatever Criterion or Studio Canal will release to the US.

Thanks to Mickey by the way for the great job he does to keep HTF informed about all Hitch home video matters. It is much appreciated. Thanks also to Moe for the info from his post about ownership, etc. :thumbsup:

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Robert Crawford said:
I have the UK BD of Lifeboat and have watched it a couple of times even though it's B Region locked.
I have it, too and think it looks pretty darn good, but I'd like to see a U.S. release as well. The Lodger also looks wonderful and is region B locked, and even though the new score has a couple of vocal numbers it seems to work pretty well.

I'll hope for the best from Criterion and maybe there will be a U.K. box set release of the silents.

Thanks for the kind words Steve...O!

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
Yeah, I don't want to seem like I'm "against" anything getting released but more like being a realist about it. I have every Hitchcock film on DVD that is legally released in America (I'm looking at you Waltzes from Vienna), and I'll buy them all again on Blu without a moment's hesitation.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Robert Crawford said:
I have the UK BD of Lifeboat and have watched it a couple of times even though it's B Region locked.
It seems odd that Lifeboat was not released in the US on blu ray.

I have it on DVD currently.

Yorkshire

Screenwriter
Real Name
Steve
mikeyhitchfan said:
While I agree that most of the 'important' and 'must have' films have been released, and that most people won't buy what titles are left, there's still a lot of fans like me who aren't getting any younger and would like to see more than 1 title a year released. This is why I'd like a box set from Criterion. Quite frankly, I usually watch extras about once or twice.

It would be interesting to figure out what percentage of a director's films are out there on blu-ray in any country. Hitchcock is at 50%. I would guess Spielberg, Scorcese, Coppola and that era would be close to 80%. Ford, Huston, Hawks may be less than 50%.
An interesting thought.

Quentin Tarantion has directed (as sole director) 9 films with 100% on Blu-ray Disc. Not everyone's cup of tea, but there you go. Leone hasn't done too badly in terms of numbers released, but the quality hasn't always been the very best.

With Hitchcock, I think most of his big/famous/important films are now on Blu-ray Disc, and dare I say it most have a decent transfer.

But yes, it'd be great to see them all.

Steve W

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
I searched a few stores for the Aussie Blu-ray of "Lifeboat" without success so ordered it online instead, and it arrived today. Have yet to screen it but here is the cover - it appears to have the extras package featured on the UK edition. Worth pointing out that the standard DVD from the same label was bare-bones.

img588.jpg

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Byron,

Since you have the Australian version of Lifeboat, can you tell if it is Region 'B' locked? I see the 'B' symbol on the cover you included, but I don't know if that means it is locked or just unknown.

David

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
My only Blu-ray player is "B" so I'm not sure how I'd manage to obtain that info. My hunch is that this is a direct porting of the transfer & extras from the UK release.

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
Robert Crawford said:
The UK BD Steelbook has a 36 page booklet as well as the DVD.
As does the regular UK MOC plastic case version which I have, in case people don't want to pay a premium just for a steel case.

The region B code logo generally indicates region locked B in Australia. Offhand I can't remember any movies I've bought locally with the B logo that have turned out to be region free. I'd suggest checking the disc itself for any logos, as it's possible that the case has a B, but the disc itself has an ABC logo, indicating region free.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks