What's new

Alfred Hitchcock films available on blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Alan_H

Stunt Coordinator
mikeyhitchfan said:
The individual titles from The Masterpiece Collection are all coming this year. Rear Window, Vertigo and The Birds are not listed in the U.S yet, but as other countries list them I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

The Essentials Collection is also coming soon and has 5 titles from the set for those that want Rear Window, Vertigo, North by Northwest, Psycho and The Birds.
The Essentials Collection is coming out on June 4th in the U.S.

larryKR

Stunt Coordinator
I'm assuming that this Essentials Collection will further delay the individual titles that I want for release in the North American market. I already have two titles from the Essentials Collection and so I won't be buying them again.

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
larryKR said:
I'm assuming that this Essentials Collection will further delay the individual titles that I want for release in the North American market. I already have two titles from the Essentials Collection and so I won't be buying them again.
Welcome to my boat. Make room for more.

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
I have the Amazon-UK Hitchcock box of the Univeral Masterpiece Collection which claims for be ABC,

I also bought a few weeks later the box Region free of Warner's Dial M; Strangers; and North for a black Friday Week Price of circa 12 pounds

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
According to The Digital Bits

"Speaking of Universal and Hitchcock, the studio will release BD singles of Rope on 5/7, Shadow of a Doubt on 6/4 and The Trouble with Harry on 7/2."

David

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Are there any more Hitchcock titles coming to blu ray later this year or 2014?

I noted that Universal is splitting up the box set and releasing those individually now.

Thanks!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I haven't seen any announcements. Criterion supposedly holds the rights to Sabotage, Young And Innocent, and Foreign Correspondent, and they may put them out sometime (but when?).Lifeboat had a Region-B locked release and might get a domestic release at some time (but again, when?)I believe the rest (non-silent) are under Warner's control, so that is another unknown

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Lifeboat is coming out in Australia, too. Not sure if it's region free, though.

All of the masterpiece collection films are due out this year individually. There are pre-orders on Amazon for mostly all but no release dates. 1 or 2 per month it looks like.

It appears that the U.S. is holding off on Rear Window, Vertigo and The Birds individually, for now, as they just released the essentials set. This years is The Birds 50th, so I would guess that one will come out here this year by itself. Perhaps a Digibook.

All other regions have some out already and pre-orders for ALL the remaining titles coming Sept 23rd.

As far as Criterion, yes, they have the rights to several titles but so far this year have only released one Hitchcock film.

Cohen media group in the U.K. is supposed to be restoring Jamaica Inn for release this year.

The restored silent 9 had thier U.K. screenings last year and they are touring the U.S. in theaters this year. I would hope some time after that someone will release a box set with all the restored films and new scores.

Moe Dickstein

Filmmaker
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
T R Wilkinson
(Edit: I see you meant this year only)Criterion have released more than one Hitchcock film lolThe Lady VanishesThe 39 StepsThe Man Who Knew Too Much They have more on their Hulu so Foreign Correspondent is likely later this year or early next.Not to mention their Laserdisc releases, including Blackmail with commentary from the screenwriter.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Id like to see Number 17 get a Criterion release ..very good early Hitchcock film

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
David Steigman said:
Id like to see Number 17 get a Criterion release ..very good early Hitchcock film
Since it's only a little over an hour long it would likely come in a box set or as a bonus feature with another title. Personally, I find it almost impossible to not doze off during this one..until the last 10 minutes. One of my top 5 least favorite Hitchcock's, along with Jamaica Inn, Stage Fright, Juno & The Paycock and Waltzes From Vienna. OK, a few of the silents are kind of dull, too.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
David Weicker said:
I haven't seen any announcements.Criterion supposedly holds the rights to Sabotage, Young And Innocent, and Foreign Correspondent, and they may put them out sometime (but when?).Lifeboat had a Region-B locked release and might get a domestic release at some time (but again, when?)I believe the rest (non-silent) are under Warner's control, so that is another unknown
You've omitted The Paradine Case, haven't you? Doesn't MGM own that one along with the three Selznick releases it has already released on Blu-ray? Or does someone else own it?

Persianimmortal

Screenwriter
Real Name
Koroush Ghazi
mikeyhitchfan said:
Lifeboat is out today in Australia, as seen here. I don't have any details on whether it's region free, but I'll see if I can find any details on the back of a copy in-store. I already have the Masters of Cinema release of the film, which is excellent, so I won't be buying this.

/EDIT: Checked in-store late today, and couldn't find a copy of it anywhere. Asked a staff member about it and they had no idea about the release, much less whether it was region free or not.

classicmovieguy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Byron
The standard DVD of the Aussie 'Hollywood Gold' "Lifeboat" release had a strange video blip in which the screen went blank in the middle of an important scene. Hope this was fixed for the Blu-ray.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
mikeyhitchfan said:

All of the masterpiece collection films are due out this year individually. There are pre-orders on Amazon for mostly all but no release dates. 1 or 2 per month it looks like.

It appears that the U.S. is holding off on Rear Window, Vertigo and The Birds individually, for now, as they just released the essentials set. This years is The Birds 50th, so I would guess that one will come out here this year by itself. Perhaps a Digibook.

All other regions have some out already and pre-orders for ALL the remaining titles coming Sept 23rd.

As far as Criterion, yes, they have the rights to several titles but so far this year have only released one Hitchcock film.

Cohen media group in the U.K. is supposed to be restoring Jamaica Inn for release this year.

The restored silent 9 had thier U.K. screenings last year and they are touring the U.S. in theaters this year. I would hope some time after that someone will release a box set with all the restored films and new scores.
Thanks for the info! It is curious that Lifeboat is not being released on blu ray here in the US.
I'm still working on the Universal set and I just got The 39 Steps and the original Man Who Knew Too Much. So I have plenty of Hitchcock films to keep me busy!

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Half of Hitchcock's 53 film are NOT on blu-ray yet. Listed in RED below. It's been a slow year with only 1 release so far in 2013.

The Pleasure Garden (1925)
The Mountain Eagle (1926) (Lost Film)
The Lodger (1927)
Downhill (1927)
Easy Virtue (1928)
The Ring (1927)
The Farmer's Wife (1928)
Champagne (1928)
The Manxman (1929)
Blackmail (1929)
Juno and the Paycock (1930)
Murder! (1930)
The Skin Game (1931)
Rich and Strange (1931)
Number Seventeen (1932)
Waltzes from Vienna (1934)
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)
The 39 Steps (1935)
Secret Agent (1936)
Sabotage (1936)
Young and Innocent (1937)
The Lady Vanishes (1938)
Jamaica Inn (1939)
Rebecca (1940)
Foreign Correspondent (1940)
Mr and Mrs Smith (1941)
Suspicion (1941)
Saboteur (1942)
Shadow of a Doubt (1943)
Lifeboat (1944)
Spellbound (1945)
Notorious (1946)
The Paradine Case (1947)
Rope (1948)
Under Capricorn (1949)
Stage Fright (1950)
Strangers on a Train (1951)
I Confess (1953)
Dial M for Murder (1954)
Rear Window (1954)
To Catch a Thief (1955)
The Trouble with Harry (1955)
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)
The Wrong Man (1956)
Vertigo (1958)
North by Northwest (1959)
Psycho (1960)
The Birds (1963)
Marnie (1964)
Torn Curtain (1966)
Topaz (1969)
Frenzy (1972)
Family Plot (1976)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I was hoping that Warners would release a box of their Hitchcock titles this year but that window seems to be closing. A box like that would only get released in September or October so if it doesn't get announced soon it probably won't be happening until fall 2014 at the earliest.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
TravisR said:
I was hoping that Warners would release a box of their Hitchcock titles this year but that window seems to be closing. A box like that would only get released in September or October so if it doesn't get announced soon it probably won't be happening until fall 2014 at the earliest.
Me, too. This year is their 90th and I hoped to see an 8 disc set including the 3 WB titles already released. It could still happen this year..maybe. Only 1 release from Criterion, as well. I know they've got the rights to several titles..don't know what's taking so long.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks