What's new

Alfred Hitchcock films available on blu-ray (1 Viewer)

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Just watched Lifeboat Region B BD last night. Wonderful detail throughout, and still a damn good film experiment. One of the 5 best director nominations he ever got. Would any film get made these days on a single set? Doubtful.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
PHONE BOOTH and PANIC ROOM come fairly close, but those are 10 years old now.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I didn't see it, and it didn't get very good reviews, but the recent Silent House was shot on a single set in one long take.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
mikeyhitchfan said:
Just watched Lifeboat Region B BD last night. Wonderful detail throughout, and still a damn good film experiment. One of the 5 best director nominations he ever got. Would any film get made these days on a single set? Doubtful.
I like this film a lot.
The DVD, however, shows a lot of signs of water damage. Can you give some comments on the PQ?

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
It still shows some 'water damage' looking artifacts, though I'm not sure what it is. I doubt that it was a full restoration effort, which would've been costly. Still, a definite upgrade in PQ over the DVD. Some shots show great detail.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
mikeyhitchfan said:
It still shows some 'water damage' looking artifacts, though I'm not sure what it is. I doubt that it was a full restoration effort, which would've been costly. Still, a definite upgrade in PQ over the DVD. Some shots show great detail.
Is there anything further on Lifeboat coming to Region A? It's owned by Warner Bros?
Hope there is more news on The Birds and some of the others very soon.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Osato /t/318802/alfred-hitchcock-films-available-on-blu-ray/30#post_3922927
Is there anything further on Lifeboat coming to Region A? It's owned by Warner Bros?

I don't think Warners has it. I think it's still under Fox's banner.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
just saw the masters of Cinema Bu ray for Lifeboat last night . The water damage circles are still there of course.
A bit like Fox's The Grapes of Wrath/Zorba i felt like the black levels could have been deeper on Lifeboat . And there were some scenes where the contrast was too hot . For all i know this pertains to what they had to work with and the absence of funding for an expensive restoration/scanning
I prefer how Warners encode their 0-20 ire , like clint eastwood in The Gauntlet : the scene where he is in the cave talking to sandra locke. The blacks are pitch black , and it makes the image look very 3 dimensional (even though details can get crushed ! :)

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Osato said:
Twilight Time MAY be working on a region A release. Look at their Facebook page.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Originally Posted by mikeyhitchfan /t/318802/alfred-hitchcock-films-available-on-blu-ray/30#post_3923026
Twilight Time MAY be working on a region A release. Look at their Facebook page.
Thanks, Micheal. No offense to the good people at TT, but it would be disappointing to me if Fox doesn't feel Lifeboat is worthy of a BD on their own. This is one of their major titles not to mention the fact a Fox release would be more affordable and accessible to the general consumer.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Steve...O said:
Thanks, Micheal.  No offense to the good people at TT, but it would be disappointing to me if Fox doesn't feel Lifeboat is worthy of a BD on their own.  This is one of their major titles not to mention the fact a Fox release would be more affordable and accessible to the general consumer.
Fox didn't feel that it was worthy of a release by them in the country of Hitchcock's birth?

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
John Hodson said:
Fox didn't feel that it was worthy of a release by them in the country of Hitchcock's birth?
Are you joking? He was born in England and made 23 films there before coming to America.
I agree TT is an expensive label but it's better than no release here. I'm not sure who owns the rights. Fox released the three Hitchcock titles on BD earlier this year, which were part of the MGM DVD box set Premiere Collection, which included Lifeboat. Maybe they're testing the waters to see how those sell before releasing others.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
mikeyhitchfan said:
Are you joking? He was born in England and made 23 films there before coming to America.
I'm aware and you have misread. My point is precisely this; Lifeboat has been released in the UK under license to Eureka/MoC and not by Fox directly - therefore I'm not entirely sure that it will be released by Fox in the US.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
John Hodson said:
I'm aware and you have misread. My point is precisely this; Lifeboat has been released in the UK under license to Eureka/MoC and not by Fox directly - therefore I'm not entirely sure that it will be released by Fox in the US.
Yep, Eureka have released two 50's Fox films on Blu a year or two ago, Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter & Prince Valiant, & no sign of a US release yet.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
John Hodson said:
I see your point now. I think of Eureka like Criterion here in the states. Their releases are of high quality and usually complete with supplements. Eureka included both the wartime shorts in HD, which I doubt Fox would but TT or Criterion probably would. But, you do pay a premium price. I think Eureka's pricing is fair, even when importing, provided you've got a region B player.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
U.S. releases unless noted.
In chronological order...
1927 - The Lodger - Network U.K. (Region Code unknown) (rumored Sept 2012)
1935 - The 39 Steps - ITV - U.K. (Region B locked)
1935 - The 39 Steps - Criterion (coming June 2012) :D
1938 - The Lady Vanishes - Criterion
1940 - Rebecca - MGM
1942 - Saboteur - Universal (box set coming 12-2012)
1943 - Shadow of a Doubt - Universal (box set coming 12-2012)
1944 - Lifeboat - Masters of Cinema - U.K. (Region B locked)
1945 - Spellbound - MGM
1946 - Notorious - MGM
1948 - Rope - Universal (box set coming 12-2012)
1953 - Dial M For Murder - Warner (3D/2D rumored 2012/2013)
1954 - Rear Window - Universal (box set coming 12-2012)
1955 - To Catch a Thief - Paramount
1955 - The Trouble With Harry - Universal (box set coming 12-2012)
1956 - The Man Who Knew Too Much - Universal (box set coming 12-2012)
1958 - Vertigo - Universal (box set coming 12-2012)
1959 - North By Northwest - Warner
1960 - Psycho - Universal
1963 - The Birds - Universal (coming Fall/Winter 2012)
1964 - Marnie - Universal (box set coming 12-2012)
1966 - Torn Curtain - Universal (box set coming 12-2012)
1969 - Topaz - Universal (box set coming 12-2012)
1972 - Frenzy - Universal (box set coming 12-2012)
1976 - Family Plot - Universal (box set coming 12-2012)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, if you included Dial 'M' for Murder as a "rumored to be coming" entry, why not Foreign Correspondent rumored coming from Criterion?

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Isn't this box-set just for Germany though?
How do we know they are new HD transfers?
The BFI is said to be working on restorations of Hitchcock's silents and early talkies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks