What's new

Alfred Hitchcock films available on blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I have the Premiere DVD box set as well as the 3-blu ray set. I was hoping they'd get around to doing the rest of the set (The Paradine Case,Sabotage, Young and Innocent and The Lodger) on blu ray.

I noticed this as wel
Is Disney doing a reissue soon???
I have the MGM releases.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
MGM's license for those titles and the rest of the Selznick Library reverted back to Disney.

How did Disney one to acquire the rights? Have they ever released these on their own or always by other studios???

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I noticed this as well.
Is Disney doing a reissue soon???
I have the MGM releases.

I doubt that Disney will release them. They seem to be doing a very poor job of their own live action classic library. I think it's is almost a crime that 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea is not out on Blu-ray let alone so many others.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
Apparently Disney/ABC owns the these Selznick titles and licenced them to MGM to release them via Fox for a period of time. I can't imagine Disney releasing them, but I also suspect they won't stay off the market for too long.

How did Disney one to acquire the rights? Have they ever released these on their own or always by other studios???

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen

Disney acquired the rights to these titles due to their merger with ABC. Many years ago ABC acquired the Selznick Library from the estate, basically as programming material for their Night At The Movies. I pretty sure that ABC is the original entity that licensed them out to first Anchor Bay, a couple to Criterion then two times to MGM before the titles were given to Disney Home Video.

Disney does not seem to license any titles to second parties at the present so I don't have a lot of faith that the titles will be reissued anytime soon.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Disney acquired the rights to these titles due to their merger with ABC. Many years ago ABC acquired the Selznick Library from the estate, basically as programming material for their Night At The Movies. I pretty sure that ABC is the original entity that licensed them out to first Anchor Bay, a couple to Criterion then two times to MGM before the titles were given to Disney Home Video.

Disney does not seem to license any titles to second parties at the present so I don't have a lot of faith that the titles will be reissued anytime soon.

Crazy! I would think these are 3 major films that would always be in print.
Does Disney own any other titles similar to these 3?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Crazy! I would think these are 3 major films that would always be in print.
Does Disney own any other titles similar to these 3?

They own the complete Selznick library including Duel In The Sun and The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer, also the ABC Films, such as The Last Valley, Krakatoa East Of Java, and The Song Of Norway.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
They own the complete Selznick library including Duel In The Sun and The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer, also the ABC Films, such as The Last Valley, Krakatoa East Of Java, and The Song Of Norway.

Very interesting.
I noticed that the 3 Hitchcock films are not available digitally as well.
At least not Amazon and vudu.

Mikey1969

Second Unit
Real Name
M. Fox
I suspect when the prices start really rising on the secondary markets, we'll see an arrangement made and a release of the titles. Disney renewed the original MGM contract so anything's possible. It's frustrating though to see all of these great extras created and then thrown to the wind with each release.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Disney/ABC Films owns the rights to the Selznick (save for A Star is Born and Gone with the Wind), Palomar, and Cinerama Releasing Corporation catalogs, as well their own Circle Fims and ABC Motion Pictures. Its a surprisingly large catalog.

Frankly I'd kill to see Criterion get the rights back to Rebecca, Spellbound, and Notorious (as well as Straw Dogs) but that's probably not happening.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Criterion
The Lodger.....

https://thefilmstage.com/news/films...e-coming-to-the-criterion-collection-in-june/

28001-the-lodger-a-story-of-the-london-fog

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Frankly I'd kill to see Criterion get the rights back to Rebecca, Spellbound, and Notorious (as well as Straw Dogs) but that's probably not happening.

Now that this thread has been brought to the top, I note that this post from November 2016 has come 3/4 true! And since they have redone Rebecca and Notorious, Spellbound may not be far behind.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Does the trouble with Harry Blu Ray include a digital copy???

Is there any rumors on the Hitchcock films coming to UHd Blu Ray??

Last edited:

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Can we just get the Warner Archive to release their last two Hitchcock holdings - Stage Fright and Mr. And Mrs. Smith?!? It's about time, given that it's been years since they gave us Suspicion and The Wrong Man.

Also, can we get MGM/Fox to get off its lump and release Young and Innocent, and, do a remaster of The Paradine Case, whose Kino release looks atrocious!

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I'd really like to see Stage Fright! Wonderful film imho.

I personally don't care for Mr. and Mrs. Smith, which seems to me like the most boring movie Hitch ever made in America. It's not funny or suspenseful imho.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I actually love the twist in Stage Fright, which doesn't bother me at all. Not only is it suspenseful and scary, but it's very funny. Alastair Sim is hilarious imho. And what a cast—Marlene Dietrich, Jane Wyman, Richard Todd, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks