What's new

Alfred Hitchcock films available on blu-ray (1 Viewer)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by David Steigman /t/318802/alfred-hitchcock-films-available-on-blu-ray#post_3919425
That would be cool - Foreign Correspondent is a FANTASTIC film, maybe they will slowly release all the titles in that Box set that had 9 Warner Hitchcock titles ( I Confess, Th Wrong Man, Strangers on a Train etc )

AFAIK, Foreign Correspondent was the only title in that box that was licensed to Warner from the Caidin Trust, so the other eight are still with WB. Of those eight, North by Northwest is out, Dial M for Murder is known to be on its way, and Strangers on a Train is rumored, though I wonder if it'll have both versions like the DVD did. The other five (Suspicion, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Stage Fright, I Confess, The Wrong Man) are usually considered "minor" Hitchcock, so they may be a while before a release, if ever. Personally, I quite like I Confess, but can do without the others.

stevenHa

Second Unit
I would also like to see Torn Curtain and Topaz which shows off Albert Whitlock's amazing slight of hand matte paintings.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Brandon Conway said:
AFAIK, Foreign Correspondent was the only title in that box that was licensed to Warner from the Caidin Trust, so the other eight are still with WB. Of those eight, North by Northwest is out, Dial M for Murder is known to be on its way, and Strangers on a Train is rumored, though I wonder if it'll have both versions like the DVD did. The other five (Suspicion, Mr. & Mrs. Smith, Stage Fright, I Confess, The Wrong Man) are usually considered "minor" Hitchcock, so they may be a while before a release, if ever. Personally, I quite like I Confess, but can do without the others.
I agree with part of that - Stage Fright is one my least favorites, but The Wrong Man with Henry Fonda is very good. Made right before Vertigo, wide screen black and white with a brooding Bernard Herrman score. I saw this in HD on TV and even there it looked nice. Anyway, we all have our favorites. He made 53 films, some better than others, but any Hitchcock film on blu-ray is a good thing.
I'll keep updating the list as needed...post any release rumors.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
mikeyhitchfan said:
Anyway, we all have our favorites. He made 53 films, some better than others, but any Hitchcock film on blu-ray is a good thing.
I'll keep updating the list as needed...post any release rumors.
So true. I'll buy any Hitchcock on blu-ray, just as I did on DVD.... even the titles I'm less enamored of. Every Hitchcock film has something worthwhile, something to teach.
This needs to be said: David Weicker, seriously? You DON'T like Vertigo?????

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Craig Beam said:
David Weicker, seriously? You DON'T like Vertigo?????
Hey, what can I say - not a big Kim Novak fan either :rolleyes: To me, it is a perfect example of the 'this means something' film - which Hitch himself joked about "except the train at the end of NNW"
I prefer his earlier works - 39 Steps, Young And Innocent, Notorious. The suspense ones, not the psychoanalytical ones.
I don't think its not a great film, but I just don't enjoy it. And I find more entertainment in his other works. To each his own.

The Wrong Man is a great one. Im hoping Lifeboat gets a stateside release as well.
Even the *lesser* hitch titles deserve to be on BluRay :)

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
It's funny how "Stage Fright" never gets any respect. While it's not among my all-time favorites, I think it's Hitch's most underrated picture, as it's far better than its reputation would indicate. Alistair Sim and Joyce Grenfell are both delightful and Marlene Dietrich is in her mid-career element. Jane Wyman is perhaps miscast, but she's fine nonetheless. I've seen "Stage Fright" many times and think it holds up rather well. "Under Capricorn" is the one I need to give a second try. I just couldn't get into that one.
"Wouldn't you like to shoot some lovely ducks? Only half a crown."

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by Rob_Ray /t/318802/alfred-hitchcock-films-available-on-blu-ray#post_3920214
It's funny how "Stage Fright" never gets any respect. While it's not among my all-time favorites, I think it's Hitch's most underrated picture, as it's far better than its reputation would indicate. Alistair Sim and Joyce Grenfell are both delightful and Marlene Dietrich is in her mid-career element. Jane Wyman is perhaps miscast, but she's fine nonetheless. I've seen "Stage Fright" many times and think it holds up rather well. "Under Capricorn" is the one I need to give a second try. I just couldn't get into that one.
"Wouldn't you like to shoot some lovely ducks? Only half a crown."

Same here re Under Capricorn. I have found it to be a complete bore the two or three times I've watched it.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I love the fact that there's so many Hitchcock fans out there like me, waiting for more blu-ray releases. The better they sell, the more they'll release. I finally got a region free blu-ray player because I knew some releases of his films would be released in other countries, just like the DVD's were. In the U.S. we got crappy public domain releases of his early films on DVD, and Germany and France had great prints but region B.
I saw Vertigo first in 1984 when it was reissued theatrically and loved it. I've had it on VHS, DVD, and will buy the blu-ray. I also saw it in 70mm restored in 1998 in L.A. But, it's not everyone's cup of tea. It is slow paced and long, so I can see people preferring his shorter and faster paced British films.
Regarding the silent 9 films, extensive restorations and screenings with a live orchestra in the U.K. this year. Many links to be found with info.
http://www.facebook.com/BritishFilmInstitute
http://www.bfi.org.uk/hitchcock/events.html
http://www.bfi.org.uk/hitchcock/introduction.html

Stage Fright was ok, but Under Capricorn was dull and I was not into Rebecca despite all the good things I had heard about it .

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
This is fun!

I own the following on blu:
LADY VANISHES (1938)
REBECCA (1940)
NOTORIOUS (1946)
TO CATCH A THIEF (1955)
NORTH BY NORTHWEST (1959)

eagerly awaiting some of the others

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
In addition to the list I posted previously, I just picked up To Catch A Thief.
Best Buy, to offset their store closings sent me a $10 coupon to keep my business. And they are running their DVD trade-in to BLU upgrade program, but instead of just a small list of titles, anything priced $9.99 and up qualifies. So since TCAT was priced at $14.99 - well $5 for a DVD trade-in plus the $10 coupon meant I got to add another worthy Hitchcock to my collection for free.
It was a good night.
David

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Originally Posted by Craig Beam /t/318802/alfred-hitchcock-films-available-on-blu-ray#post_3920096
I'll buy any Hitchcock on blu-ray, just as I did on DVD.... even the titles I'm less enamored of. Every Hitchcock film has something worthwhile, something to teach.
I couldn't have said it any better.

I've never seen a Hitchcock film where I couldn't find at least something within to interest and intrigue me. I used to teach a course on him and even then I never ever got tired of seeing his art; I was always finding new discoveries to tinker with. Whatever makes it onto Blu, I will own.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I have most of what's on the list. Don't remember if I upgraded my Lady Vanishes Criterion from regular DVD to Blu.

I expect that September will see a Universal Hitchcock pack of Blus that will include Vertigo, The Birds and Rear Window to complement their earlier Blu release of Psycho.

For completion's sake, I also have 4 years of Alfred Hitchcock Presents on regular DVD. Seriously doubt any of those will make it to Blu, but they are good to have around. (Waiting for the price drop to pick up S5)

Cineman

Second Unit
Real Name
David B.
I've quadruple dipped (or more, going back to VHS!) for these on Blu-ray so far.
1955 - To Catch a Thief - Paramount
1959 - North By Northwest - Warner
1960 - Psycho - Universal
I'm a huge fan of Hitchcock and believe I have on DVD/Blu-ray every feature film title he was credited with directing (except for The Mountain Eagle, of course...) but refuse to quadruple dip (or more!) on Blu-rays for most of his pre-1950 films unless they're practically giving them away. On the other hand, I will lay out the Blu-ray bucks on day one for anything Strangers on a Train and afterward.
Unfortunately, some of the most highly anticipated Hitchcock Blu-rays have been or will be released just as industry interest and standards are declining in the treatment and handling of Blu-ray releases of 50-60 year old films (West Side Story, My Fair Lady, One-Eyed Jacks, etc.), so I worry about what they'll do with some of Hitch's masterpieces of the '50s and '60s and, therefore be considered the archival version of record.
To Catch a Thief and North by Northwest were handled beautifully, but I was truly disappointed that the Blu-ray of Psycho was that same old 1970s edited-for-television version of it we'd been getting on home video formats ever since with no indication that an effort was made to restore the missing frames.
IMO, Vertigo ought to be presented with the original soundtrack recording and foley sounds as the default setting with the souped up Dolby-ized re-recording of them the secondary option. Having seen Vertigo many times in the theater and on home video with both the original and the "newly recorded" soundtrack, the emotional impact of the movie is kicked up several notches with the original soundtrack, however supposedly damaged it was. But I doubt very much Vertigo will be presented that way on Blu-ray. It might not even include the original soundtrack option at all, which would be somewhat akin to a desecration of the movie, imo.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I have the following:
1944 - Lifeboat - Masters of Cinema - U.K. (Region B locked) together with Bon Voyage and Aventure Malgache
1945 - Spellbound - MGM
1946 - Notorious - MGM
1955 - To Catch a Thief - Paramount
1959 - North By Northwest - Warner
1960 - Psycho - Universal

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
I've picked up most of the US releases so far. I am missing Psycho and The Lady Vanishes.
I believe Barnes and Nobles will do their 50% off sale in June or July. I'm hoping to get the 2 Criterion ones at that time.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Osato said:
I've picked up most of the US releases so far. I am missing Psycho and The Lady Vanishes.
I believe Barnes and Nobles will do their 50% off sale in June or July. I'm hoping to get the 2 Criterion ones at that time.
Amazon currently has The Lady Vanishes at $20.99. Considering the tax that Barnes and Nobles charges, this is an equivalent price to their 50% sale ($19.99)
David

RM Eastman

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert M Eastman
I love Hitchcocks's films. I would buy on Blu-ray almost all his films. My favorites are the ones scored by Bernard Herrmann i.e. "Psycho", "Vertigo". "Marnie", "North by Northwest" etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks