What's new

Alfred Hitchcock Collection Box in 2012! (1 Viewer)

bruceames

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bruce Ames
Looks very tempting to me. However I have the DVD set and haven't watched several movies from it yet, so I'll wait for the reviews first I think.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Originally Posted by bruceames /t/320682/alfred-hitchcock-collection-box-in-2012/30#post_3932743
Looks very tempting to me. However I have the DVD set and haven't watched several movies from it yet, so I'll wait for the reviews first I think.
I agree, it's a very handsome set, but seeing how I haven't watched the Masterpiece collection (or the Warners Signature collection for that matter) since purchasing them, this will wait for reviews and a price drop.

Still a gorgeous set for the fans willing to bite. Hope the reviews are great!

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Unfortunately, this is a German release, and we don't know yet if it will play here in the US.
There's been no real talk about a US release,

Sumnernor

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sumner Northcutt
When it comes out - I will check the region code on the box. Currently I don't have a BR player (in part $$$$). I want a player that will handle codes A,B,1,2 at least. Any tips from others living in region B and 2???

Eerik

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eerik Paal
The German box-set will be region free and there will be a US box-set as well. December 28th isn't the real release date, it will be released earlier. I'm Nostradamus.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Now I'm confused. If this is the actual box set, why is NBNW and 39 Steps on there? It's released by Universal. Is this a 'complete' Hitchcock set?
http://www.amazon.de/Alfred-Hitchcock-Collection-Blu-ray-Limited/dp/B00826XC7M/ref=sr_1_11?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1340045983&sr=1-11
69a63c9f_hitchcock.jpeg

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
mikeyhitchfan said:
Now I'm confused. If this is the actual box set, why is NBNW and 39 Steps on there? It's released by Universal. Is this a 'complete' Hitchcock set?
Looks like a Universal/Warner etc set. The running time must include over 20 films.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
A Universal/Warner collaboration would constitute nearly the entirety of Hitch's post-1947 output (outside of Under Capricorn which is PD I think, and To Catch a Thief). That would be amazing if it was real.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
To clarify, we're still talking about non-USA releases, correct? There is no US release that has been announced. Hopefully positive news about a domestic release will surface soon on the Universals.

Osato

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim
Steve...O said:
To clarify, we're still talking about non-USA releases, correct?  There is no US release that has been announced.   Hopefully positive news about a domestic release will surface soon on the Universals.
I'm confused as well. The 39 Steps is coming out on 6/26 on Criterion blu ray.
Hmm.
Hopefully someone can clarify and what the US release will look like?
Thanks for the posts!

Eerik

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Eerik Paal
Douglas R said:
Looks like a Universal/Warner etc set. The running time must include over 20 films.
The running time listed at Amazon.de is for the 14 films listed in the first post of this thread. Most of Hitchcock's films are around two hours long.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Either the picture or the description is wrong. My guess is the latter, which is common with Amazon. 39 Steps is likely a different transfer as I doubt Criterion would release this in Germany.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
mikeyhitchfan said:
Either the picture or the description is wrong. My guess is the latter, which is common with Amazon. 39 Steps is likely a different transfer as I doubt Criterion would release this in Germany.
I don't see how the picture can be wrong unless someone has created something phoney. It shows a book with both North by Northwest and The Birds (ie Warner Bros and Universal) along with the discs (looking as if they slot into the top of the pages).

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
my two cents.
When I looked at the picture, I saw a book and some pictures of Hitchcock pictures (almost like postcards). To me, they don't look like disc or disc cases. It possible that since this is a 'Hitchcock' box, the book and swag deal with his entire career, including his top pictures, and not just the films included in the set.
Also, since this is a foreign release (non-US), its also possible that the film rights are different in Germany than they are here in the states. I've heard of many films that were released by one 'studio' here and by another in another country. Its a possibility that even though these films are 'owned' by different companies here, they may be 'owned' by the same company over there.
And for myself, I don't see this as a sign, either positive or negative, that a US release of these films - either in a collection or singly is coming. Too many DVDs were released overseas that never saw a domestic release, or were years away from a domestic release.
David
edited after re-viewing picture
I do now see a disc sticking out of the book that looks like NBNW.

mikeyhitchfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
As I said, I think the description is inaccurate as the pic clearly shows a NBNW disc. Universal has stated that a Hitchcock box set is coming since early this year, and if the U.K. and Germany get one looking pretty identical, to me it is just a matter of time before we get an official announcement for the U.S. release.

John Stell

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Stell
Got an email from Classic Flix. The US set comes out 9/25/12.

http://www.classicflix.com/alfred-hitchcock-masterpiece-collection-bluray-september-a-1252.html?osCsid=a4ed8e0a4d8d050fd9b1225d1fc2bbb9

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks