What's new

Alf : Season 2 <----- When? (1 Viewer)

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Why are people who buy a show they enjoy, even if it is missing a couple minutes, "suckers?" Just because you don't do that and don't agree with people buying it, that makes us suckers? Not everyone is "in the right circles" to be able to find/acquire the original off-air transfers.

I could feel that someone not buying ~90% of a show that you enjoy because it would be missing a fraction of the show would make that person a "sucker." I enjoy ALF and don't have access to the uncut episodes so for me having the syndicated episodes on DVD is smart, especially since it doesn't air in syndication where I live. And since it was my favorite show of my childhood, I will buy what I can of it. So explain again how that makes me a "sucker."

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Would you be a sucker if you knowingly bought a book which had 15% of the pages removed or accepted your paycheck when you knew your boss had skimmed 15% of your money off the top?

Most people would say yes.

How is knowingly buying a DVD missing 15% of the footage different?

Sucker is perhaps too harsh a word though. I mean, it's your money, you can spend it on anything you want.

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke

Exactly. It's pretty much the same as accepting pan & scan as opposed to widescreen movies. With P&S, you're LOSING footage. How is this different? With "ALF", again, you're LOSING footage. These are NOT the episodes which originally aired. They're hacked up, just like pan & scan movies are hacked up. I don't think it's any different. Either way, you're still losing material that was supposed to be there in the first place. Lion's Gate was definitely in the wrong for releasing the first season in such a manner. It's not right.

I understand to each their own, but I was under the assumption that one of the staples here at HTF was to support the release of movies/TV shows the way they were intended to be viewed. Whether it be OAR, or unedited content.

Mark To

Supporting Actor

You know what, if you don't have the wherewithal or the inclination to put the effort in to find complete copies, then hey, live with whatever they put out. I guess it's not that important to you to put the effort in. But in this day and age, especially with the internet, finding people to trade with and who have material, is far easier than it was 25 years ago. It just requires a modicom of ingenuity. People I know who are serious collectors, no one handed them anything. They worked for it. So if you choose not to want to work to get something, don't blame it on not being in the right circles, just say you don't care to try.

John McM

Second Unit

I agree. If it's a show that hasn't been on in awhile and I am DYING to see it again, syndicated episodes would suffice more than nothing. For example, if Facts Of Life came out, I would hope Sony airs the uncut versions... but if they're the syndicated prints, you know what? I'll still buy it. It's one of my fave shows and I haven't seen them in some time so edited FOL to me is better than no FOL at all.

Josh LM

Stunt Coordinator
I honestly can't see the big uproar about the slightly cut episodes. Is that extra 1-2 minutes of footage that important? Not in my opinion. I'd rather have it cut than not at all.

Juan Books

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Juan
All those fellows out there who make it profitable for studios to release butchered episodes by nonetheless buying them are just as guilty as the studios themselves. If you care about this fine hobby, please don't support butchery.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Let me pose a question...

Would anyone here NOT buy a disc set of a TV Show if it WERE uncut?

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
So if uncut episodes are not an impediment to one buying a show one likes, it should therefore be a no-brainer.

But Lion's Gate doesn't agree.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Their excuse doesn't even make any sense. Why would the syndicated masters, which were copied from the originals, look better than the originals themselves? The quality of the Canadian "ALF Files" DVD (which had uncut episodes) looked pretty good to me.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
True, Jeff, as the syndicated cut versions would be at least one generation down from the original.

I'll bet VSC had the opportunity do get the rights to the whole series, but they piddled it away. Sigh.

JasonLa

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason

Where are you guys getting these advertisements for discounts like this for DDD? Back when I 1st learned of them I sent them an email asking if they had any promotional/sale/discount type emails or other sales or related type discounts of any form and i never recieved a reply.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks