Alexanders Ragtime Band

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joe Caps, Sep 4, 2004.

1. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

I got this dvd today and its a wonderful transfer. Beautiful shrp picture and great sound.
    Good extras too - threee songs cut from the film - including Marching with Time - cpmplete for the first time
    We also get the Alice Faye Bio from a and e - Fun, but it only reminds us what we don't have ondvd and what we probablywill never get on dvd. especially all those early and mid thirties black and white films that are so rare that even Fox movies doens't show them.
    Trailers - one for the film and two bonus trailers from upcoming fox studio classics - How to steal a Million and three Coins in the Fountain.
    I love three coins but I have never seen the trailer and there are several shots in the triler that are not in the film - Great!!
    Dear Fox - how about a box set of the early Alice Faye black and white musicals??

2. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I have this on order. [​IMG]

3. RafaelPires

RafaelPires Supporting Actor

Please!!! Please!!!
    More Alice Faye!!! Sing Baby, Sing; In Old Chicago; Sally, Irene and Mary; You Can't Have Everything; Wake up and Live; On the Avenue; Hollywood Cavalcade; Rose of Washington Square; Tin Pan Alley; Lilian Russell; That Night in Rio; Weekend in Havana; The Gang's All Here; Hello, Frisco, Hello. So many wonderful pictures...many of then never released even on VHS.
    I hope Fallen Angel makes the Fox Noir Collection.
    Great news about the transfer quality of Alexander's, Joe. I have my copy pre-ordered.

4. ArthurMy

ArthurMy Supporting Actor

I have Fallen Angel on a region 2 disc. A wonderful film. I haven't watched all of Alexander's yet, but it looks and sounds great.

5. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

I watched this through today.

For much of it, there's a white stripe along the left side. It's quite distracting.

Is this part of the picture? Or is it a defective disk?

If the disk is defective, I could return it.

6. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

It's the transfer - not all that surprising given the age of the movie...

7. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

If that stripe is on the negative (or from a print) then it must represent the soundtrack. In other words, the movie has been cropped incorrectly for the DVD.

The stripe is so consistently there, and always in the same place.

8. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

While I question Fox's quality-control on many of their releases, I think it's unlikely they'd release a DVD from a transfer where the optical soundtrack is clearly visible on screen.

9. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

We must be looking at two different transfers. [​IMG]

On my DVD, starting about 25 minutes in, there are multiple scratches in the left 1/4 of the frame that come and go. They look like emulsion scratches which are an occupational hazard for any print that is ever run through a projector.

As Colin says: Not surprising for a movie of this age.

Ted

10. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    Yes!, Yes! FOX, please!, please!, more Alice Faye.

and also Betty Grable, June Haver ( 3 Little Girls in Blue)
    Rita Hayworth ( My Gal Sal) and Jeanne Crain ( Centenial Summer )

I find it astounding that Pat Boone, who was so very popular in the Fifties has been almost completely ignored by Fox.
    April Love, State Fair, Mardi Gras, Bernadine and All Hands on Deck are all crying out to be released.

11. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

I'm sorry, I didn't mean that that white "stripe" which I see is the actual soundtrack.

I don't see a white stripe like that on any other movie I own, and I own a lot from the 30s, 40s and so on.

It's obviously some kind of scratch, but since it is always on the left side, it made me wonder if the area to the left of it might have held the soundtrack -- in other words, that white stripe should represent the actual left edge of the picture.

That was all.

12. TedD

TedD Supporting Actor

There is no it. There are multiple scratches which are not even at a consistent location. Some are pretty close to the left edge, some are not as close, but all the scratches I saw on a quick run-through are in the left 1/4 of the frame.

I have seen way worse print damage than this after a single weeks run in many of todays multiplexes, so I sure would not let this issue interfere with my enjoyment of the film.

But, then I am used to actually watching film. [​IMG]

Ted

13. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

These scratches are NOT there on the old laserdisc. These are also the kind of scratches that can be digitally removed. WhenI first watched the disc, I was so engrossed in the movie, I didn't even notice them.

14. DeeF

DeeF Screenwriter

Where do you suppose those scratches came from, Joe?

15. Will Krupp

Will Krupp Screenwriter

Will
    Yeah, Joe, I'd be interested to hear what you think about that, too. If the scratch wasn't present on the old LD, this must be from different elements, right? Could this transfer, scratches aside, have been from better preserved elements? Did they decide that cleaning the scratches might have somehow compromised the pq? Doesn't make sense...but I'm just guessing now. I humbly bow to your FOX knowledge.

I picked this up as a blind buy today based on your enthusiasm for it (it seems impossible to me, but I've never seen it before...and Tyrone Power was so dishy in 1938 too :b) I would LOVE to see the first Alice Faye movie I ever saw--WEEK-END IN HAVANA--on dvd...stunning in Technicolor.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to giving it a spin...thanks for the review!!

16. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

I have no idea where the scratches came from or why they were not digitally taken out - especially from this series thats all been restored elements.

17. Adam_S

Adam_S Producer

Adam_S
    darn I can't remember how the restored print looked when it played at the Academy theatre last month. I too was too engrossed in the film to be distracted by the pq (which was excellent and from a new restoration I believe...)

Could it be that Fox wanted to recoup their film restoration of this film by putting it on DVD but didn't want to invest in a digital restoration?

18. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

I ran this last night and there are a few sections with a light white scratch on the extremem left of the picture. This may/might be outside overscan on most tv sets. There was also noticeable picture weave at those points as well. Why TCF didn't blow up or slightly reposition those sections is a question for the colorist doing the transfer.

BTW when you next go to a theatre, DEMAND that they run the SMPTE RP-25 alignment loop before the screening so you can determine exactly how the aperture plate is cut. This could easily not be seen in a theatre depending on how the projector plates were cut and filed.

Overall the picture looks great for it's age and the inclusion of the deleted numbers and the A&E Bio are icing on the cake.

John

19. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Screenwriter

including the outtake musical numbers is great. They should next do Rose of washington Square - I think Fox has at least four or five cut filmed numbers with both Alice Faye and Al Jolson.

20. John Morgan

John Morgan Supporting Actor

John
    I must also mention Ray Faiola's outstanding audio commentary. What a treasure trove of information and told very entertainingly. For the Fox musical buffs out there, I recommend the Screen Archive release of the music from this film. This CD, fully authorized by Fox, has the complete underscore and songs in glorious mono sound. Ray Faiola also produced this CD and his knowledge of the era, both filmic and music that makes this one of the most enjoyable commentary tracks I have ever heard.