Alex Proyas to direct "I, Robot"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rich Malloy, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

http://www.cnn.com/2002/SHOWBIZ/Movi...eut/index.html
    Asimov's "I, Robot" was the first sci-fi novel (collection, really) I recall reading as a kid, and one of those books that really stayed with me over the years. I think Alex Proyas could do a great job with it, despite the fact that the book isn't exactly a perfect fit for his more gothic tone. Definitely looking forward to it. [​IMG]

2. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

Sounds pretty great. I look forward to any movie directed by Alex Proyas. (Including the recently released, in Austrailia, Garage Days.) However, Will Smith's involvement has me a little worried. I sure hope he doesn't bring his brand of humor to the project.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

So...who plays Susan Calvin? (She does appear in this book of short stories of robots, right? I've read almost all of Asimov's robot stories, but can't keep them straight as far as what appeared in what book).

4. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

The only thing I'm afraid of is that Avika Goldsman is doing the screenplay.[​IMG]

5. Chris Harvey

Chris Harvey Second Unit

Harlan Ellison wrote a screenplay for "I, Robot" some time ago. Any word on whether Proyas will be using that as a foundation or starting point?

I'm totally stoked to see his name attached, btw -- I had the opportunity to chat with him several months ago and he's a well-rounded, very pragmatic individual, and (of course) his movies speak for themselves.

6. Michael Caicedo

Michael Caicedo Second Unit

Michael Caicedo

7. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

"Six Degrees" and "Ali" are all I need to know about Smith... but this Akiva Goldsman thing does have me concerned. He strikes me as all wrong for adapting Asimov, and the thought of him being a "prevailing presence" in the shoot is just depressing.

8. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

9. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

It all depends on what Will Smith shows up, Ali or MIB2. With Proyas at the reigns, I think he'll give a good performance.

Avika Goldsman though, yikes!! He's written some of the worst screenplays in recent history, but won an Oscar last year. Who knows which version of him will show up.

This could get dicey.

10. Louis C

Louis C Supporting Actor

Will this have an Alan Parsons soundtrack? [​IMG]

11. Randall Dorr

Randall Dorr Second Unit

It's nice to finally see a serious film (as opposed to that trecaly piece of crap Bicentennial Man) about Asimov's positronic robots.

But why is Proyas using "I, Robot" for the title? Only a film made from Ellison's screenplay should have that honor. "Hardwired" sounds fine to me.

And I'm not that worried about Will Smith. We know he can play drama, and I suspect he's tired of his shtick, too. I think the problem will be with audiences that go to this expecting Men in Black with robots. When actors primarily known for comedy move into drama, (and's it's not very, very obvious that the film is a drama, like with Ali) idiot audiences go in with the wrong expectations, come out disappointed, and say the film sucked, as evidenced by Ebert's Movie Answer Man from Nov. 17:

12. GeorgeTW

GeorgeTW Stunt Coordinator

Wouldn't that be cool if Allan Parsons Project scored the movie?

13. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

The thing that aggravates me about Goldsman is that I've seldom really hated any of his movies - they've just felt like they needed another trip through the word processor (even the Batmovies), but no-one had the guts to say so.

I'm wondering how much "I, Robot" will be in this; I don't think Will Smith will be playing Dr. Susan Calvin (although there was another robopsychologist who appeared in Asimov's later stories).

And as much as I love Proyas and think he can do great things with "I, Robot"... What about "Berserkers"? Has New Line axed that?

14. Norm

Norm Cinematographer

Norm
    Will Smith has me not so exited about this movie now. What will happen is they will change the story to suite Smith.