Alex Proyas comments on I, Robot DVD

Discussion in 'DVD' started by PaulP, Sep 17, 2004.

1. PaulP

PaulP Producer

2. David Illingworth II

David Illingworth II Second Unit

Disappointing. Good movie though.

3. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Yeah, this seems to be Fox's strategy as of late (Club Dread, Man on Fire, etc.). And it sucks.

What's the word on "Day After Tomorrow" (not to hijack the thread). Is this a one-disc set or a two-disc one? I know the R2 is two-disc and full of extras. I have a feeling we're going to be saddled with a bare-bones release followed by an SE later down the road-- down the road far enough to lose my interest and not get this at all.

4. Jay Gunn

Jay Gunn Stunt Coordinator

Mark, since we all know that there are 2-disc versions coming out in practically every country BUT the U.S., I would bet money that we'll see a 2-disc SE of The Day After Tomorrow a few months after the single-disc streets. Fox's new policy is really disheartening, IMO. They were always one of the front runners of the DVD format, putting out some of the most impressive discs and SEs on the market. But now it looks as if they've fallen into the whole "take 'em for what they've got" facade of other studios and their DVD releases. I for one am not planning on buying any Fox single-disc releases of new films just out of my own suspicions of a better version down the line.

5. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

I, Robot has been announced in 1 and 2 disc versions for R4 and R2 in November, so add this to the pile of Fox double dips down the track in R1.

6. Mike~Sileck

Mike~Sileck Supporting Actor

No!!! I just bought MoF!! Oh man, I guess my 2 disk special edition will have to be the one disk release plus my Best Buy bonus disk! (Hardly a Special Edition... [​IMG] )

Mike

7. Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl Screenwriter

Christian Preischl
    Well, there certainly goes my vote for studio of the year. [​IMG]

Chris

8. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Loved I,Robot, looking forward to the R2 2-disc sp.ed.[​IMG]

9. David_Blackwell

David_Blackwell Screenwriter

I hate this one disc with little features stuff only to have a 2 disc special edition to come out later. If they want to do this, please put a little more effort into the extras for a one disc release.

10. PaulP

PaulP Producer

11. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    Yes, this "great" news is a double edged sword. It's definitely better than releasing a single disc than announcing a 2-disc set a week later like with Man on Fire.

Although it does not seem like these single disc releases are any cheaper than what was common pricing when there was only a 2-disc release. It is seems to be a smoke screen for charging you more (on both the single and double disc), just like the ice cream industry quietly changing the size of a half-gallon container to 1.75 qts hoping no one would notice. [​IMG]

12. Shane_M

Shane_M Stunt Coordinator

I never saw the movie, but from the looks of the trailers and well it performed at the BO I expected a much better set. I wonder if holiday pressure has prompted Fox to release this single disc version?

Either way, I would still would have prefered something along the lines of the Master & Commander: CE.

13. Herschel

Herschel Stunt Coordinator

Doesn't seem like it, since the R2/R3/R4 2-disc releases with all the extras are coming out before the R1 1-disc version.

14. Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet Second Unit

it surely makes for a refreshing change for R2. Since the beginning of DVDs we have been getting discs with less extras than the R1, then we became even and now we are "taking over".

weird. for all those that have no PAL compatible system the R3 (which is also NTSC) will be a two dics version as well (just as it is for shrek2 and Day after tomorrow)

HTH

15. Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins Supporting Actor

the u.s get all the movies 1st i always hated that

now we get the better dvd's balance returns to the force [​IMG]

16. Tom_Bechet

Tom_Bechet Second Unit

Mike even that is changing rapidly. the UK sometimes gets DVDs weeks earlier than the R1 (still exceptions though) But R3 seems to improve as well with I robot being released a few weeks earlier.

17. PaulP

PaulP Producer

The time difference isn't the problem. It's just that it seems R2 is getting much better editions now.

18. Mike Wadkins

Mike Wadkins Supporting Actor

the time diff was the big problem to me anyway.

hellboy is out on dvd in jan same with the punisher !

i have a multi region dvd player so i can at least stay a bit ahead.

but with the extra res and the extra features im buying more r2 discs of late as my pc can get rid of pal speed up(not that it bothered me in the 1st place)

19. AaronMK

AaronMK Supporting Actor

Aaron Karp
    I haven't seen the R1 2-disc up for pre-order anywhere. How "official" was that blurb on dvdanswers.com?

In any case, Fox has lost purchases on I, Robot and The Day After Tomorrow until they release the two disc special editions that other regions are getting.

Why can't studios make more money by making products more people want to buy instead of intentionaly manipulating the consumer to get the same product over and over again.

20. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim
    Bleh. Time to cancel my pre-order and wait for the 2-disc edition.

S'funny, R1 has always been king in terms of timing and features/extras, but this seems to be changing. Troy is actually available on R3 already and has been on the shelves for several weeks, and it looks like a fairly comprehensive release. It remains to be seen if the R1 is identical, or actually has more extras.