What's new

Alec Guinness collection? (1 Viewer)

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
I see that Link Removed Link Removed, Link Removed and Link Removed Are going to be included in "The Alec Guinness collection" due out... any minute now!
Who's releasing this set? Anyone know what the transfer is like? I just saw Kind hearts... on TV (TVO, to be precise, they're showing one every night this week!) and the sound seemed to be inconsistant in a few places. Are the discs fully restored, or put together from existing transfers?
I'll be getting them all in any case, but I'd like to hear from anyone who knows anything about them.

Dan Brecher

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Daniel
Anchor Bay is putting them out on September 10th. Some of the new transfers SHOULD be made from the newly restored prints that have just seen a theatrical release here in the UK... We'll have to wait and see.

Dan

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Any chance the Alec Guinness Collection will include Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. Since he was in all three.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
John - you must have missed the memo. George Lucas has decided to reshoot all of Alec Guiness' scenes in the original trilogy with Ewan McGregor in old man makeup because he decided they look too different. He also announced that he's never releasing the original series on DVD but instead will wait for SHD-DVD (the format coming after Blu-Ray HD DVD). He knows fans will understand.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.
-greg
;) (You realize I'm joking, right?)

Sam Graves

Stunt Coordinator
I see that Kind Hearts and Coronets, The Man in the White Suit, The Lavender Hill Mob, and The Ladykillers Are going to be included in "The Alec Guinness collection" due out... any minute now!
I think you might be referring to some e-tailers, such as Amazon, that have the Alec Guinness Collection being released on August 13 (today). Anchor Bay's website lists it for September 10. I am also waiting for a review.

Daniel J

Stunt Coordinator
Sam, you're correct about my seeing that date on Amazon. I was looking for info on these movies because they are on TV this week, and I saw the amazon link on IMDB. Didn't see the releasing studio there, though.
What is Anchor Bay's reputation for quality of releases? Can I expect special features of any sort?

John, this set includes the films mentioned, they were made at Ealing Studios in the late 40s - early 50s. And BTW, 'Bridge on the River Kwai' belong in a Guinness collection just as much as 'Star Wars', or 'Passage to India' or 'Doctor Zhivago' for that matter.

I guess I'll just have to make due with VHS in the meantime. Oh well, I suppose there's really too much other stuff I want right now anyway...

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bleddyn Williams
Sam, where did you find the Alec Guinness set at Anchor Bay's website? I went looking for it yesterday and only found the individual releases...

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just received the screeners yesterday.

Problem is, I have stacks of other DVDs I
have to review first.

If any of you have a favorite title out of
that collection, list it here, and I'll try to
review it this weekend.

John Watson

Screenwriter
If you can squeeze it in, perhaps Lavender Hill Mob. How does the orchestra sound?

PS - I'm one of those unfortunates who has trouble on my player with some AB releases - Wicker man, Candy, even Scandal, so I'm anxious about this series

Randy A Salas

Screenwriter
I led my DVD column today with this outstanding collection. You can read the online version here:
http://www.startribune.com/stories/459/3220638.html
I love the unintended irony in 1949's Kind Hearts and Coronets that foreshadows Guinness' later role as Obi-Wan Kenobi in 1977's "Star Wars": Sharing some wine with the main character, Guinness' character says, "My lord, the port is with you."

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
Randy,

Thanks for providing the link to your recent article! I have only come across your writing recently, but have enjoy your coverage of new DVDs. Keep up the good work!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks