What's new

Aldrich Family Tv Show (1 Viewer)

Real Name
rob
This is a sitcom from I believe the early fifties. I have seen one episode involving a costume party, does anyone know if any other episodes still exist?

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
An interesting question, which I've often wanted an answer to, along with several other early 'live' sitcoms, like "Meet Millie" and "A Date With Judy," and such. I've wondered for years about such things, but it's the kind of info that just doesn't seem to circulate.

And speaking of Henry Aldrich, I'd love for the Paramount film series with Jimmy Lydon to make it to dvd. Very fond of those movies. I always found them vastly more amusing than the more common "Andy Hardy" series from MGM.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

There might be, but even if they are, episodes have to be fairly rare as neither Shokus or Moviecraft have them listed in their online catalogs. And I have to believe that Alpha Video would release anything that they could get their hands on of this series, even if it was just a single episode, but they haven't at this point in time.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

As to the TV series, I'd love to see it released if for no other reason than it has a Christmas episode, so that would be one more hole filled on my list. I've never seen the show, but I'd give it a go.

I'm with Bert on the Paramount films. I've seen most of them and would love to see an official release. If nothing else, since TCM has acquired some Paramount titles that they will be airing sometime in the near future, maybe we'll see these films pop up on that channel. Would give me a chance to upgrade some I have and record those I don't.

Gary "I think Bob is right about there never being a PD release of this show - I know I've never seen any releases from outfits like Alpha" O.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Universal controls the Aldrich films and I don't recall ever seeing them on cable. The first of the series was WHAT A LIFE with Jackie Cooper playing Henry. Billy Wilder worked on the script.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Oh, that's a shame. I was really hoping I'd see these on TCM when I read of them acquiring some Paramount titles. Guess that's a no go.

Gary "this is a real rarity series (both TV and Film versions), that's for sure" O.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Well, you certainly have a better chance with Universal than Paramount (who are totally indifferent to their pre- and post-1950 product). Universal deals with TCM also.

Real Name
rob
The 11 Henry Aldrich movies are out there with collectors, it's the tv show that seems to be lost except for one episode.

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
Henry Aldrich conquered all aspects of show business. It began as a successful Broadway play in 1938 (entitled WHAT A LIFE!) and then went on to be a successful series of movies ... a long-running radio series ... and then a television series. It was even a comic book.

And then it disappeared from the face of the earth. There must be "rights issues." As for the television series, it was done live, and if the kinescopes no longer exist, then that's the end of it.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
Even this site, which specializes in kinescopes, doesn't list "The Aldrich Family."

KineVideo : Vintage Television Programming

I'm inclined to think that Joe is probably correct about the kines no longer being in existence, though there's always the possibility that the shows are still under copyright and the kines are locked away somewhere.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Have the Jimmy Lydon films EVER been shown on TV in the last quarter century or so? I don't recall ever seeing these films but they have a good reputation and should be in decent shape if Universal controls them.

Mr. Lydon is still very much alive and lucid (a lengthy interview with him was just published in FILMS OF THE GOLDEN AGE). Ideally Universal or whooever owns the films gets on the ball and engages him to do a HENRY ALDRICH themed special feature for a DVD release. Jackie Cooper is also still alive, but no longer makes public appearances or does interviews IIRC.

Steve

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
The last time I encountered the "Henry Aldrich" films on television was roughly 1986, on a local independent channel. They were still the old ragged 16mm prints. Never seen the series in nice, remastered prints. I'm almost 100% certain they've never been aired on any of the familiar movie channels in these past two decades. It's a shame. They're great fun, and capture the vibe of their era (1941-44), in terms of teen pop-culture.

Real Name
Kevin
I have the one TV episode of The Aldrich family. As mentioned, it is the episode involving a costume party. The info I have on it is that it was broadcast on 6/18/50 on NBC. It has the cast from the first year (1949-50) and has the original commercials (Swans Down cake mix and a short Jello promo combined with the opening credits).

I would love to see additional episodes but have always assumed it is the only episode that still exists.

I've looked on the Internet numerous times and can find no one offering any TV episodes for sale.

BTW, apparently a young Paul Newman played the friend of the lead character (Henry Aldrich) during the last year of the series (1952-53).

Real Name
rob
How can a show that was on for four seasons have only one episode surviving?The fact that one is out there isn't it likely that at least some others could still exist?

KayEn78

Auditioning
Real Name
Kristi
I have been listening to The Aldrich Family radio series for quite some time now. Recently, I attended an OTR & Nostalgia Convention in Cincinnati, OH and was able to obtain the 11 Henry Aldrich Movies from a dealer there. I enjoyed watching them. I was born in 1978 and love to learn about the 1930s and 1940s. I love listening to many shows of OTR and was thrilled, but soon disappointed when I found out that no one has The Aldrich Family TV Show. I didn't even know there was a TV show until I research information on the internet. I read that TV Nostalgia Guy has one episode of The Aldrich Family. Would you be able to copy it for me? I would love to see it. I wish they would release the TV show on DVD. They've released other rare early TV shows such as Meet Corliss Archer and I Married Joan among others.

-Kristi

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Hi Kristi, welcome aboard! It's great to hear from a fellow old-time radio fan! I really enjoy the Ezra Stone shows. Some people think they're too corny but I enjoy the innocence of them. I have thousands of shows on mp3. How are the Aldrich movies? Are they as good as the radio show?

I'm kind of wary about radio shows that become tv shows because in general they don't live up to the radio show ie: Fibber Mcgee & Molly and The Great Gildersleeve. We have an old time radio convention here in Jersey every Oct. I always say I'm going to go but never seem to make it there. A good old-time radio forum to visit is The Nostalgia Pages Forums.

I would have sent you a pm but you seem to have it disabled.

KayEn78

Auditioning
Real Name
Kristi
Hi, Bob!

You know, I tried to send/recieve PMs, but the page always says I don't have access to that. Strange... Anyway, the Aldrich movies, I thought, were pretty good, even though they were "B" movies. I still thought they were cute and kept my interest. I know what you mean about the radio show. I've read some things about it and people would say that it's corny or bland and just not really funny. Like you, I like the innocence of the show and it portrays the times (the 1930s and 1940s). For those who do not remember those years, you get a good feel of what they were like when you listen to The Aldrich Family or other radio shows of that era). But I love listening to Henry and his antics too and laugh at the episodes.
Which episodes do you have? I'm trying to get all the ones that are available. I've found different websites that have a different number of episodes, but also some a repeats. I don't know if these were repeated back then? (Sometimes, listeners would send in requests to hear certain episodes of a show again), or did the person who was selling the mp3 CD want you to think there was a lot of episodes on their discs? I too, have several OTR shows on mp3 CD.
I think I know what you mean about radio to TV. I have the Suspense TV show collection and while it was interesting seeing the episodes, it just wasn't the same as the radio series. And this was early television, filmed live in kinescope. But I guess that's what early TV was. I wonder of the Henry TV show would be the same way. I guess when one does see a show that originated on radio, they would think "So that's what they look like!" You always picture something different in your mind. Well, this is getting long, so I'll end it here. You could also e-mail me which Adlrich episodes you have or other OTR shows, instead of us clogging up the board. My e-mail is [email protected]. Thank you for your reply.
-Kristi

KayEn78

Auditioning
Real Name
Kristi
I posted a reply, but it didn't go through. Oh well, I'll try again. Since I just joined this board, I don't think I have access to sending/receiving PMs. I tried to do that, but it would say I don't have access to that page. Strange...

Well, it's great to hear from someone else who enjoys The Aldrich Family radio show. Which episodes do you have? I have several on mp3 CD. Different dealers and people on Ebay have different episodes in their lists. I'm trying to get all that I can of the episodes that's avaiable. Collecting radio shows is certainly different than collecting a TV show series. Usually, you know how many seasons/episodes there were and eventually collected them all. But with radio, you don't know which episodes are lost forever or are around. So, most likely, with a long-running show (like Henry Aldrich or Suspense) you won't get every single episode. It's sure fun to listen to what is out there though!

I, too, like the show for its innocence and the time period. The Henry Aldrich movies, I thought, were pretty good, even though they were "B" movies. Jackie Cooper plays Henry in the first two movies and then Jimmy Lydon takes over the part. I think he did a better job at portraying Henry than Jackie, but no one was like Ezra Stone. He portrayed him the best. Although, I do like the episodes with Bobby Ellis. (I think of those episodes as Henry's voice finally changed, it didn't crack anymore, even though he had been 16 for 14 years or so.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
In the movies, "Henry" is 17, Basil "Dizzy" Stevens is his best friend, and Homer Brown is nowhere to be found. Dizzy was in the earlier radio episdoes, but soon disappeared for some reason. Perhaps, they liked Jackie Kelk the best or Eddie Bracken had another movie to do. Well, whatever the reason is, I hope my message goes through this time. Since my PM is disabled, I can be contacted through e-mail: [email protected]
Thank you for the reply and the welcome.

-Kristi

Real Name
Kevin
I was surprised to see this topic back on the first page. I didn't think there was much left to discuus about the TV show.

Kristi, I'll contact you via e-mail about sending you a copy of "The Aldrich Family" TV show. Since you are a fan of the radio series, the best part of seeing the (one episode) of the TV show is that several of the characters on the radio series were on the TV show as well and you can see what they looked like! Both House Jameson (who played the father) and Jackie Kelk (who played Henry's best friend Homer) appeared on both the radio and TV series. So you finally get to see what two of the radio characters looked like, and still in character!

I also believe that the actress who played Henry's sister on the TV series played the same character on the radio series at least briefly, as I heard her introduced and give a greeting (out of character) at the end of one of the radio episodes.

I've got about 80 episodes of the radio show downloaded from the Internet. It was seeing the one episode of the TV series that got me interested in the radio show. Yes, I'm really enjoying the radio series.

I do have all eleven of the Henry Aldrich movies, which I bought off a seller on ioffer. I haven't had a chance to watch more than two of the movies yet. So far, they seem to be OK, but more different from the radio series than the one TV episode. I like the radio show somehat better than the movies and I think I would like the TV show better than the movies as well.

I did find a website (several years ago) that had some details about the TV series, giving some transmission dates and brief (one or two sentence) episode descriptions. I'll have to look again and see if I can find the URL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks