ALCS: Angels vs. Twins

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Patrick Sun, Oct 8, 2002.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Which team has the upper hand going into the ALCS?

I think it'd be great if the Angels made it to the World Series (change of pace, new team), but the Twins might have that whole "Contraction/Respect" angle driving them to get to the World Series.

2. Mark Schermerhorn

Mark Schermerhorn Second Unit

I'm not sure who to pick. The Angels are hot, but the twins are impossible to kill. It should be a great series. I'll have my hankies out at the game tonight.

Did anyone else notice that the underdog won every one of the divisional series?

3. Bill Harada

Bill Harada Stunt Coordinator

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

A very tough pick, although the Angels seem to be the hot team, it is arguable (after the fact, to be sure) that they came up against the weakest pitching staff in the AL playoffs, maybe of all eight teams.
    Can they win by out-hitting the Twins. Considering that my team, the Rangers, constructed as an offensive team, managed to out-hit their way to 90 losses this season, I’m skeptical that the Angles can keep it up.
    Twins

5. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

Actually, both teams have quietly put together respectable pitching staffs. I'm leaning toward the Angels simply because top to bottom, they have a lineup that just flat out can execute. and it doesn't hurt to have the rally monkey on your side.

6. Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer Producer

Tough to call. I ordinarily wouldn't bet against a Rally Monkey, but the Twins have the incentive to give Carl Pohlad a big hearty "Fuck you very much." [​IMG] So let's say Twins in 7. As long as the Yankees are gone, either one winning won't bother me. My fantasy team had a ton of Angels on it (Eckstein, Glaus & Anderson for starters). Alas, I traded Washburn at the start of the season. Who knew?
    Is this series actually going to be shown on a network that somebody carries? ABC Family doesn't register on the dial around here.

7. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Its on FOX, if that's your idea of a network. [​IMG]

8. Valerie Brown

Valerie Brown Stunt Coordinator

Wow, I can't beleive that the Angles are this close to a World Series. If they make it, it will probably be the first baseball game I will have voluntarily watched in years.

If they lose, I won't care who wins the WS.

Valerie

9. Mark Schermerhorn

Well, I'm off to my parents house to pick up my dad for tonight's game in just a bit. Should be a blast.

For the twins tonight, I think the biggest question is how well Mays pitches. He hasn't hit his stride this year since he's been injured for so much of the season after having an all-star year in 2001.

10. Patrick_S

Patrick_S Producer

I would like to see the Angles simply because they have never been and it would be nice for their fans to finally have the team win the ALCS.

In fact out of the teams left I would like to see them win it all this year.

11. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

I'd like to see the Twins since I used to live in Minnesota. However I'm worried if the Cards win, face the Twins and have to try and catch fly balls in the Metro/Homerdome.

12. Bill Harada

Bill Harada Stunt Coordinator

Playing the Twins in the WS with them having the home field has not been kind to NL teams. Twins: 8-0 at home; 0-6 away. Talk about playing up for the home crowd.

13. Rich Romero

Rich Romero Supporting Actor

Twins all the way. They beat my White Sox, but what are ya gonna do?

14. ToddR

ToddR Agent

The Twins had the best record in baseball against right handed pitchers this year (71-38). The Angels have one starter (Washburn in game 3) and one reliever (Schoeneweis) that pitch left-handed. The Twins starters have a combined 21-10 record against the Angels.

Twins in 5 or 6 games. It will not be as close as many of the "experts" are predicting. I think the Twins take a 3-1 series lead, and then finish it off in the 5th if they don't lose focus. Otherwise they finish it off back at the Dome in game 6.

15. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    The Angels are definitely the better team right now, but you know... so were the A's.

Anything can happen, that's what makes the game of baseball so great!

16. Jerry Klawiter

Jerry Klawiter Screenwriter

One down.
    Seven to go.
    Go TWINS![​IMG]

17. Mark Schermerhorn

Great game. I figured Mays would throw the kind of game he did or throw the kind of game he did against Oakland (5 or so runs in 3 or so innings). The last time I saw him (august sometime) he threw a 2 or 3 hit complete game shutout, with the twins getting Pedro for 5 or 6 runs (he had like a 30 inning no-runs-allowed streak going into the game). That game was their best all around performance of the year, I think.
    Tomorrow...Twins need to keep the pressure on and win again. I'll be back again in right field over the garbage baggie [​IMG]
    Oh and that drunken dumbass that ran onto the field wasn't all that amusing, but the 20 (!) guys that started running after him sure was [​IMG] He had no chance of escape.

18. Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter Screenwriter

Mark they didn't show a second of that guy, but the manager of the Angels came out to argue they should get a redo because of it.

19. John Thomas

John Thomas Cinematographer

Of course!
    [​IMG]

20. Mark Schermerhorn

A redo? I didn't even notice Socia was out there. There is a funny picture of a guard trying to tackle Mr. Boozehound on www.startribune.com if you're interested.
    You know I was thinking...I should have bought a rally monkey while I was out in SoCal last week. I could have strung him up in a noose, put him on a stick and brought him to the game with me. Of course, at the time I didn't know we were going to pull out the divisional series.