What's new

Albums that you'd like to be covered in the "Classic Albums" DVD Series (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

As a music fanatic, audio guy and amateur musician, what Jeff wrote basically sums it all up for me. :D

ElevSkyMovie

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kyle
Toy Matinee - Toy Matinee

The story of how this band came together and then came unraveled would be interesting.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I'll throw out three.

Tori Amos - Little Earthquakes. This is an album with a powerful story behind it that made into a "classics" DVD would have some great interviews and be a good way to raise awareness and funds for RAINN and other causes. Plus, the music on this album is still beautiful stuff.

Cat Stevens - Tea for the Tillerman. Probably Steven's most open album this could be really interesting because this was in a period where Cat was doing a certain thing.. before he fell off into weirdness.

Simon & Garfunkel - Bridge Over Troubled Waters. This is one of those albums I find myself returning to often. And damn, would this have an incredible story for DVD. They hated each other. Couldn't stand to be in the studio at the same time as the other. But they trusted the art of each other to do the work. And together, while seperate, they turned out a real feat. This could have some kick-ass backstage interviews with crew.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Even though they are freinds from childhood they did have their problems. But Paul did collaborated on Art's "My Little Town" from '75. They released a concert dvd a couple of years ago where they humorously talked about past differences and how they have mended their relationship. Quite a good concert too.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
They are friends now, but when they were doing "Bridge Over Troubled Water" they were fighting so badly that neither could be in the studio at the same time as the other. Simon famously mixed the output and Garfunkel would listen to it later and "leave notes". It's a fantastic story and ripe for a good review DVD :)

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
I read this thread on Sat. Thought about it a little bit, and I think they should cover

Pearl Jam - Ten (if for nothing but its huge influence on many artists from the 90's)

Alice In Chains - Jar of Flies. I'm pretty sure a long time ago I heard Jerry Cantrell say in an interview that Jar of Flies happened because the record compay wanted another record and put them in a studio and gave them a ton of drugs to make. I wonder how much truth there is to that story (If I'm even telling it right)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Okay a few more, same reasons as above:

Rush - Moving Pictures
The Cars - Candy-O
Gary Numan - Replicas/The Pleasure Principle
Sweet - Desolation Boulevard - This one would be particularly interesting given the completely different US and original releases, and the band's history as a prefab act.
Black Sabbath - my pick would be Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath, but the first album or Paranoid are more likely contenders.
Aerosmith - Toys in the Attic
Kiss - Destroyer
Todd Rundgren/Utopia - hard to pick, I think any of these would be interesting (Todd is on the Meat Loaf disc as producer).
Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells
Supertramp - Crime of the Century (although Breakfast in America is more likely)
Styx - Equinox
Bachman Turner Overdrive - any, although the first album would be interesting with the progression from The Guess Who and Brave Belt.
Jean Michel Jarre - Equinoxe
Vangelis - Albedo 0.39

I've been snapping up some of the existing titles on ebay, and just finished watching the volume one boxset with The Wailers - Catch a Fire, Meat Loaf - Bat out of Hell and The Who - Who's Next. All three were pretty interesting, especially not having a lot of background on any of these albums. Soon to come are Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road, Def Leppard - Hysteria, Deep Purple - Machine Head, Motorhead - Ace of Spades and the second box with U2, Phil Collins and Steely Dan.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You might want to check out Randy Bachman's concert dvd "Every Song Tells A Story". As the title suggests he tells a little something about each song before he (and the back-up band) performs them. Not quite a "Classic Album" but better than nuthin'. I found mine for $6.99 in a discount bin. Also, The Turtles "Happy Together-the Hits...the History...the Humor" dvd is pretty entertaining. Again, not a CA but...

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Colin, definitely not. S&G were a little bit before my time. However being a HUGE music fan, I was surprised that I had no idea about the rift between the two.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, I'd definitely welcome a PJ "Ten" release. It kinda surprising that they haven't covered it yet, especially since they've already done "Nevermind."

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Duran Duran's Seven And The Ragged Tiger. By the time they started recording they were the hottest pop group in the world, flew to exotic locales to record and shoot their music videos, so it might be interesting to learn something about their creative process amidst all the hype and hoopla. And there was some story about how the title track had to be dropped, much to their regret, for some reason which I can't remember.

I know, a bit 'flaky' compared to the other choices. For similar reasons, and since it was my first 'favourite album', Spandau Ballet's True, though I don't think True's story would be as colourful as Ragged Tiger's.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Seven and the Ragged Tiger would be good, as would Sabbath Bloody Sabbath, although I bet Technical Ecstasy or Never Say Die would make for great docs due to the chaotic state of the band at that time. ;)

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike

If they're going to cover Sabbath, wouldn't they cover the most popular (and best) Sabbath album - Paranoid? Even their debut album would be more appropriate, as it is a classic in its own right (and, in most minds, rivals their sophomore effort).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
What I think would be cool and what would be lucrative for them to actually release are two entirely different threads. ;)

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
I'd love to see The Beatles Let It Be, except it would be too one sided, with John Lennon gone from the scene. Let It Be, the Film, would cover that album nicely, come to think of it.

In that case, The White Album would be great. The band was totally at odds (worse than Let It Be, I think) - each song only has one Beatle playing on it, maybe two, never three or four. They had session musicians to cover the other instruments. I don't think John or Paul were in the same song at all. Plus with all that Manson madness, it would make for a great DVD.

The White Album would be minus John in new interviews, but I'm sure they have archival footage from that time period (1968).

What puzzles me (a little off-topic) is how they couldn't get it together for the White Album, but came together in a big way with Hey Jude during that same period (Hey Jude was not a song from that album). Remember - The White Album was released in December, 1968, so it was essentially a 1969 album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks