Alan Clarke Box Set

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Anthony Neilson, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Anyone else excited by the fact that Blue Underground are releasing - supposedly on June 1st - a box set that includes SCUM (both the tv and film versions), MADE IN BRITAIN, THE FIRM and ELEPHANT , the inspiration for Gus Van Sant's movie ?

Strange that this is an R1 release only, as these BBC films are very, very British. Anyone know if there are any extras on this set ? I think I heard that there was, but I can't remember where.

2. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Yup, count me in. From thedigitalbits.com:

"In August, British filmmaker Alan Clarke gets the limited edition box set treatment with a lavish five-disc set. The box includes the movies Made in Britain, The Firm, Elephant and both the BBC and theatrical versions of the feel-good hit Scum. Also included is the documentary Director: Alan Clarke and promised participation by such notables as Tim Roth, Danny Boyle, Ray Winstone, and many more. Keep your eyes peeled for this one on 8/31."

I've read elsewhere that Danny Boyle will be providing a commentary on Elephant and I think (and I can't remember where I saw this) Tim Roth will be doing the same on Made in Britain. The only downside, IIRC, is the srp of $99

3. Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams Supporting Actor

Bleddyn Williams
    Funnily enough, on my recent trip to the homeland, I picked up The Firm for about a fiver. It was in a lot of bargain racks.

Watched it the other night. Great stuff. Nothing to write home about in the visual front, however. I wonder if the Blue Underground versions will look any better?

4. Daniel Windsor

Daniel Windsor Stunt Coordinator

Anyone seen this listed for sale yet?

5. ChristianB

ChristianB Stunt Coordinator

Yes, but I'm unsure whether it's ok to list store names.

6. Daniel Windsor

Surely no harm with a name? Don't need a link.

7. Daniel Windsor

DVDSOON

Synopsis

DIRECTOR: ALAN CLARKE: 1991 – 53 min. – Documentary – Not Rated – English – Colour – 1.33:1 - 4X3 A documentary featuring rare behind-the-scenes footage and interviews with friends and colleagues of Clarke (a who’s who of British Cinema), including Tim Roth, Danny Boyle, Stephen Frears, Ray Winstone, and Phil Daniels. DVD SPECIAL FEATURES: Alan Clarke biography THE FIRM/ELEPHANT: 1988 – 70 min./39 min. – Drama – Not Rated – English – Colour – 1.33:1 – 4X3 THE FIRM: Gary Oldman stars as the leader of a gang of football (soccer) hooligans, whose plan to unite rival “firms” for the Championships results in violence. ELEPHANT: In the inspiration for Gus Van Sant’s award-winning film of the same name, a series of killings are committed randomly and without explanation in Northern Ireland. DVD SPECIAL FEATURES: THE FIRM: Still Galleries ELEPHANT: Audio Commentary with Producer Danny Boyle; Memories of Elephant: Interviews with Gary Oldman, David Hare & Molly Clarke (5 min.) MADE IN BRITAIN: 1982 – 76 min. – Drama – Not Rated – English – Colour – 1.33:1 – 4X3 Tim Roth portrays a young, intelligent, and sometimes violent skinhead who rebels against all authority, including those who want to help him. DVD SPECIAL FEATURES: Audio Commentary #1 with star Tim Roth Audio Commentary #2 with Writer David Leland and Producer Margaret Matheson Archive Interview with Tim Roth (5 min.) Poster & Still Gallery SCUM (1977 BBC VERSION): 1977 – 78 min. – Drama – Not Rated – English – Colour – 1.33:1 – 4X3 Ray Winstone of Sexy Beast plays a young troublemaker caught between the menacing staff and touch inmates of a British prison for young offenders. DVD SPECIAL FEATURES: Audio Commentary with Stars Phil Daniels and David Threlfall and Producer Margaret Matheson Selected Scenes with Audio Commentary by Star Ray Winstone SCUM (1979 THEATRICAL VERSION): 1979 – 96 min. – Drama – Not Rated – English – Colour – 1.66:1 – 16X9 After being banned by the BBC, director Alan Clarke remade Scum as a theatrical feature, utilizing the same story and several of the same actors. DVD SPECIAL FEATURES: Audio Commentary with Star Ray Winstone Interviews with Producer Clive Parsons & Writer Roy Minton (17 min.) Poster & Still Galleries Theatrical Trailer

8. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    And here are the details as posted on thedvdforums by Jon (I knew I'd seen them somewhere...)

The Alan Clarke Collection

"The Greatest British Filmmaker Of His Generation." - The London Observer

His films exposed a real world of raw life like no others. His career inspired a generation of British actors, writers and directors that changed cinema forever. In the years following his untimely death in 1990, Director Alan Clarke has remained one of the most influential and controversial talents of our time. THE ALAN CLARKE COLLECTION brings together his greatest works, most never before seen in America until now.

Each film in THE ALAN CLARKE COLLECTION has been fully restored from original UK master materials. Extras include interviews and all-new commentaries by such celebrated colleagues and proteges as Tim Roth (RESERVOIR DOGS), Ray Winstone (SEXY BEAST), Phil Daniels (QUADROPHENIA), David Leland (MONA LISA), Margaret Matheson (SID & NANCY) and Danny Boyle (TRAINSPOTTING).

SCUM (1977) Starring Ray Winstone, Phil Daniels, David Threlfall. Written by Roy Minton. Produced by Margaret Matheson. Clarke's graphic indictment of British juvenile prisons made for - and subsequently banned by - the BBC.
    1977 – 78 min. – Drama – Not Rated – English – Colour – 1.33:1 – 4X3
    DVD SPECIAL FEATURES: Audio Commentary with Stars Phil Daniels and David Threlfall and Producer Margaret Matheson; Selected Scenes with Audio Commentary by Star Ray Winstone

SCUM (1979) Starring Ray Winstone, Phil Daniels, Mick Ford. Written by Roy Minton. Produced by Clive Parsons and Davina Belling. Clarke responded to the banning of SCUM by remaking it as a shocking, uncompromising theatrical feature.
    1979 – 96 min. – Drama – Not Rated – English – Colour – 1.66:1 – 16X9
    DVD SPECIAL FEATURES: Audio Commentary with Star Ray Winstone; Interviews with Producer Clive Parsons & Writer Roy Minton (17 min.); Poster & Still Galleries; Theatrical Trailer

MADE IN BRITAIN (1982) Starring Tim Roth, Eric Richard, Terry Richards. Written by David Leland. Produced by Margaret Matheson. Tim Roth in his stunning film debut as a ferocious, teenage skinhead on a rampage through Thatcher's grim empire. Music by legendary UK Punk band The Exploited.
    1982 – 76 min. – Drama – Not Rated – English – Colour – 1.33:1 – 4X3
    DVD SPECIAL FEATURES: Audio Commentary #1 with star Tim Roth; Audio Commentary #2 with Writer David Leland and Producer Margaret Matheson; Archive Interview with Tim Roth (5 min.); Poster & Still Gallery

THE FIRM (1988) Starring Gary Oldman, Lesley Manville, Philip Davis. Written by Al Hunter. Produced by David M. Thompson. Gary Oldman gives a blistering performance as a middle-class family man who leads a violent gang of soccer hooligans.
    ELEPHANT (1988) Produced by Danny Boyle. The stark study of eighteen separatist killings in Northern Ireland.
    1988 – 70 min./39 min. – Drama – Not Rated – English – Colour – 1.33:1 – 4X3
    DVD SPECIAL FEATURES: THE FIRM: Still Galleries; ELEPHANT: Audio Commentary with Producer Danny Boyle; Memories of Elephant: Interviews with Gary Oldman, David Hare & Molly Clarke (5 min.)

DIRECTOR: ALAN CLARKE (1991) Directed by Corin Campbell-Hill. In this posthumous documentary Clarke's brilliant legacy is explored via revealing interviews, rare behind-the-scenes footage and more.
    1991 – 53 min. – Documentary – Not Rated – English – Colour – 1.33:1 - 4X3
    DVD SPECIAL FEATURES: Alan Clarke biography

It's up at dvdsoon.com for $92.98 CAD.

9. Anthony Neilson

Anthony
    Wonder if this'll make its way over here ? If not, it's another donation to the old customs fund.

10. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

11. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Yup, me too...