What's new

Alan Ball creating 'Southern Vampire' series for HBO! (1 Viewer)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
This is totally unexpected but really cool news! I recently began reading the Southern Vampire series by Charlaine Harris and today AICN is reporting that this is going to be the next new series for HBO. The book series isn't on the same level as Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series (which is stuck in development hell for the movies and is in dire straits, creatively, in the latest books) it's definitely in the same vein. Anyone else eagerly looking forward to this series?

When this debuts I'll definitely be subscribing to HBO again.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Not my cup of tea, but I'll definitely be checking it just because Alan Ball is involved.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

My wife is a fan of the Anita Blake books. are you saying that the Harris books aren't as good or they are better?

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I was worried he'd disappear after doing a few more movie scripts. Glad to see he's coming back to TV. HBO better let him do what he wants. :)

I've had an empty place inside since SFU ended...

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Sorry for the confusion. The Anita Blake series is much better up to a certain point. Laurell Hamilton's last few books have been very off... pretty much since she started her wretched fairy series. The Anita Blake series really peaked with Obsidian Butterfly and it's been downhill ever since.

I've now caught up with all of Charlaine Harris' 'Dead' books and she's definitely getting to be a better storyteller with each book, though she was quite talented from the start. I've really enjoyed how well her last three books have flowed one into the next.

The only other series really worth mentioning here, imho, is MaryJanice Davidson's 'Undead' series. She really manages to combine Vampires with Buffy-esque comedy incredibly well *and* write 2 books a year (which is manna from heaven when you love an author and can't wait for the next book). The author states on her website that her first book, Undead and Unwed, is currently in production as a Made-for-TV movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks