1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Aladdin (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jake Lipson, Nov 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

Maybe they'll have Will Smith rap in this! :laugh:

2. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I get that you're joking -- but if he is going to rap, we might see some of that very soon.

Disney's Facebook re-posted the teaser poster and added, "See the first look tomorrow!" So it appears the trailer is coming even sooner than I expected. They do tend to drop trailers online a couple weeks in advance though, so I still think it will be in theaters with Nutcracker.

3. SamT

SamT Producer

Sam
    [​IMG]

4. Message #64 of 110 Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Additional thoughts about that poster besides its similarity to the other ones which I already noted:

1) It's funny to me that they didn't even bother to put the title on there. They know people will know what it's for immediately with or without the name.

2) In the original film, Aladdin says the lamp "looks like such a beat-up, worthless piece of junk." That lamp looks way nicer than that description. I wonder if this is just for the poster, or if they've actually decided to make the lamp look fancy this time. I'm not saying it would be a problem to do that, just that it would represent a change if they did (and they probably couldn't use the line I just quoted again if they did change the lamp.)

3) The use of "May"at the bottom seems to indicate that they are sticking to the May 24 date they previously announced. At the beginning of this thread, Josh and I were discussing the surprising prevalence of Disney remakes next year. Aladdin is May 24, Toy Story 4 (a sequel, but still a '90s nostalgia play) is June 21, and The Lion King is July 19. I cannot believe that -- particularly after Bob Iger admitted it was a mistake to release so much Star Wars in such a short period of time -- that they are going to put those three films out so close to each other (not to mention Dumbo on March 29.)

There is simply no way that they will all perform to their maximum potential if they open that close to each other, since each successive one will effectively cut off any potential legs of the previous one as the 100% overlapping target audience shifts focus to the new one. They'll all make money...but less than they would separately.

How Disney does not realize this is beyond me.

5. holtge

holtge Supporting Actor

Gordon Holt
    Maybe it's just a question of having too many riches all being ready in a short period of time. They can't just sit on finished product indefinitely. But you're right. It does seem odd that Disney is determined to release all four of these films---in addition to Avengers 4---within a short four-month window.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  6. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    The funny thing is that they were going to sit on Aladdin until December -- which I think would have given it appropriate distance from The Lion King, since the latter would have completed its theatrical run by then -- until Colin Treverrow's Star Wars firing. When J..J. Abrams came on and needed time to rewrite the movie from scratch, Aladdin and Episode IX swapped release dates. They hadn't announced Aladdin beforehand, but had a placeholder date for a "Disney Live-Action Fairy Tale" on December 20, and announced that that was Aladdin but that it was moving to May 24 (which was Episode IX's original release date.)

So this gridlock of having Aladdin/Toy Story/Lion King so close together is due in part to Disney giving preference to Star Wars. I get why they would do that, but I still think they've set themselves up to leave money on the table if something doesn't move to a different release window.

holtge likes this.
  7. holtge

holtge Supporting Actor

Gordon Holt
    Yeah, I get why moving Episode IX was probably the right call. But premiering that many high quality and highly anticipated films in such a short timeframe will surely hurt their overall box office returns. Maybe not all of them, but certainly some of them. Talk about competing against yourself unnecessarily! :wacko:

Jake Lipson likes this.
  8. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I think all of them will be affected to varying degrees. That they will all make money is not in doubt for me, but I think they would all make more if they were dated as events, rather than grouped together in such successive fashion. As Josh and I discussed at the beginning of this thread four pages and a year or so ago, I think they're churning through the big titles to remake at a very fast rate. It feels weird saying that the novelty factor of a remake will wear off, but effectively that is what will happen if they keep pumping these out at the rate of two or three a year (including Dumbo in March as well as Aladdin and Lion King in the summer), instead of taking things slower and making one at a time as a yearly event.

They'll also eventually run out of things to remake if they don't slow down. I'm sure that Frozen will get its turn eventually, but they can't make that into a live-action film until after the animated iteration has run its course, which won't be anytime soon since it should be good for at least one more, minimum, after Frozen 2 (which is also next year.)

As usual, Disney is more focused on short-term gain from producing all of these immediately than making this an effective long-term strategy they can keep using for years to come without erosion. We'll see how that goes for them over time.

holtge likes this.
  9. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    For comparative purposes, here is the original 1992 trailer. I don't think they did a teaser back then; this one is full-length, and wow, a lot has changed in terms of marketing in the last 26 years.

It will be interesting to see what the first look teaser shows when it drops later today.

10. Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek Producer

Joel Henderson
    Disney trailers always sucked in those days. The only notable one was The Lion King teaser, and that wasn't even a teaser. It was just the entire first 4 minutes of the film with a Coming Soon slapped in at the end.

11. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Looks more like a gravy boat than a lamp.

TravisR likes this.
  12. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

[​IMG]

13. Tino

Tino Executive Producer
    Supporter

Valentino
    Hoping there will be more acknowledgments to the 1940 film The Thief Of Baghdad which Aladdin not so discreetly ripped off.

14. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Special first look at Aladdin during the timeout at the 2-min warning (just before halftime) of the NFL game tonight on FOX.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  15. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Well that was a whole lot of nuttin'

Some sand dunes, a distant shot of Agraba, Iago flying in the night sky, and a few seconds in the Cave of Wonders.

Nothing there that generated any excitement for me.

16. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Crazy comment of the day....

I might end up seeing this before ever having seen the other one.

17. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    You’ll probably enjoy it more that way.

18. Message #78 of 110 Oct 11, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson

Iago is in it!

That's enough to make me super happy tonight. He hasn't been confirmed up until now. I wonder who is voicing him.

I'm excited.

SamT and holtge like this.
  19. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I thought he died at the end of Infinity War.

20. Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon Moderator

They saved the gravy boat for the very end!

Knowing Disney, I bet tthere's no lumps in that gravy...