1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Aladdin (2019)

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Jake Lipson, Nov 2, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I don't entirely disagree with your point; I just think that this audience segment is less now than it has been in the past, and people are becoming more and more okay with this. I also think that films like Aladdin and The Lion King are so universally beloved that they would be exceptions anyway.

It also likely depends on the age of each individual person. If, like me, you grew up watching and loving the original versions of these films, you're less likely to mind the experience of seeing the new ones in a theater. If we're talking about a 75-year-old who never had any particular emotional attachment to either Aladdin or The Lion King, then yeah, I could see where they could be judge-y about it. But I doubt that a 75-year-old who has avoided the older films for their whole existence will suddenly decide to go see the new ones, either.

In the case of these specific properties, they have both also previously been adapted into enormously successful Broadway musicals. In the case of The Lion King, it has been running in New York for 20 years as of this month. It's also possible that adults who are uncomfortable attending an animated film without kids have seen and been exposed to these properties through their stage counterparts, and if they liked those, it would logically send them back to the animated film with a new appreciation for it (as well as build an audience for the new films.)

2. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    I'm a real fan of animation, IMHO, and I will see these remakes unless the reviews or buzz is bad.

I have been watching animated films in theaters since I was a kid (a condition that I have long since aged out of). I've never felt like I was being judged and I've seen many a kidless adult in the theater with me. The beauty of great animation is that it can appeal to kids and adults.

Disney is remaking these movies as "live action" to make money and to bring a fresh perspective to the property. Heavy emphasis on the money. We enjoyed Jungle Book and BatB (It would have been vastly better if the heroine could sing, IMHO).

I am not an admirer of Disney the corporation, I think they are in the top tier of greedy studios. Still I go see their movies.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  3. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    They also got Nell Carter to sing "Friend Like Me" at the Oscars when it was nominated, but the movie lost to itself for "A Whole New World."*

*Addy said to Nell when she first came to Glenlawn on Gimme A Break!: "Nell, there's nothing wrong with being a maid, but I hope you haven't forgotten there's a whole new world out there for the modern black woman."

Jake Lipson likes this.
  4. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
  5. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    Wow. They actually said "86 the mother" almost as if they were ordering a mob hit.

One wonders if there's a secret burial ground for Disney characters' mothers.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  6. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I wouldn’t take that too seriously. When I was in college and taking a class about educational TV, our instructor told us an anecdote about a local TV production of that had a nativity scene on the set. When taking down a set instructions such as strike and kill our often used. So the director said “strike Jesus and kill Mary.” So, don’t take the 86 comment to heart.

7. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    I think a “Friend Like Me” is the better song.

8. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    I shouldn't since they do it all the time.

9. Message #49 of 110 Nov 27, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Terry Rossio (who co-wrote the original film with his now-former writing partner Ted Elliot, as well as directors Ron Clements and John Musker) says he has has been consulted on the remake script.

From an interview with Final Draft:

https://www.finaldraft.com/learn/final-draft-blog/terry-rossio-writer-pirates-caribbean-part-business-screenwriting/

This makes me happy. Reaching out to the original creatives seems to indicate that the new filmmakers are attempting to be respectful of the original, and I'm really glad to hear that they sought his perspective on what they're doing. Even if they don't end up using whatever notes he gave them, it's a classy move wand one that I suspect will be beneficial to the project.

10. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I already posted this interview with Alan Menken in the Beauty and the Beast thread since it's motly about that film, but I wanted to post here as well in order to break out and discuss his quote about Aladdin. The interviewer mention that he has Aladdin coming up, and...

https://www.awardsdaily.com/2018/01/01/interview-alan-menken-beauty-beast-writing-magical-disney-songs/

This is interesting to me. I'm all for Jasmine getting her own song -- it's hard to believe that A Whole New World is the only thing she sings in the original -- but I'm concerned about them having "rewritten a lot of the older material" to fit Will Smith. In the Broadway show, the Genie is reinterpreted, but Friend Like Me and Prince Ali are still there, basically as we know them. I'm okay with Will Smith doing his own thing with the role of the Genie -- a Robin Williams impression would be a bad idea -- but I don't really like the idea that they would change songs for him, especially since his songs from the original were all written by Howard Ashman. I trust that Menken is going to do the right thing, but this still makes me feel funny. We'll see what happens.

Thoughts, anyone?

11. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
  12. Message #52 of 110 Jan 24, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2018
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Mena Massoud (Aladdin) says on Twitter that the film has wrapped (presumably principal photography.)

Even though they would likely be CGI characters, I think it's kind of weird that we've gotten all the way through the end of filming without any announcement as to whether Abu or Iago are in the film, and who may be voicing them if they are.

As much as I love Abu, he is fairly simple to remove from the story; the Broadway musical already did that. Iago, however, is much harder to imagine not being in it.

13. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
  14. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
  15. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

This seems like much ado about nothing. The overwhelming majority of extras and background players were of Middle Eastern and South Asian descent. The only time they employed "brownface" was when nobody of that background with the required specialized skills could be hired within the constraints of time and budget. And all it most of them are likely to have less than 30 seconds of screentime.

The exciting thing for me is that the new number for Jasmine was written with Naomi Scott's voice in mind.

16. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Yeah. Good move. If she was cast before it was written, that only makes sense.

I do wonder from the article why they would have had to write a new verse for Arabian Nights. That's Howard Ashman's song, and the 1992 movie didn't even use the full version of it that he wrote, so I wonder why they wouldn't have just gone back to his full lyric if they needed something new in there.

17. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell
    Wasn’t that the censored song?

18. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Yes, but only one lyric. The theatrical release used "Where they cut off your ear if they don't like your face," and the VHS (and every version since) has used "Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense."

The Broadway production turns it into a six-minute opening number including Ashman's entire original longer lyrics (except for the change discussed above, which has been maintained for the show.) So, I'm not really sure why Pasek & Paul would need to write new lyrics for it when they have Ashman lyrics which were unused in the original film.

Johnny Angell likes this.
  19. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
  20. Message #60 of 110 Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Will Smith posted this on social media today:

Aladdin 2019 poster.

I think it looks cool, but they also went in the obvious direction.

Compare this to the teaser poster from 1992:

Aladdin 1992 teaser.

And the poster for the Broadway production:

Aladdin Bway.

So...the new one is cool, yes, but basically the same concept they always use for initial marketing on this property. And it's so obvious what it is that they didn't even bother to put the movie's title on the new poster.

And yet I still got hyped up when I saw it today.

I wonder if the teaser trailer is coming soon too. Maybe on The Nutcracker and the Four Realms?

holtge and TravisR like this.