Directors Al Pacino vs. Robert DeNiro

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Bobby K, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Bobby K

Bobby K Auditioning

I was recently involved in a dispute with a friend of mine over who is a "better" actor. Better is such an opinionated word so I just wanted to get some thoughts on the comparison between the two. The argument started because I felt at the very least, they were both COMPARABLE to each other....my friend insists that Robert DeNiro is above and beyond Mr. Pacino. For me personally I enjoy Pacino's work slightly more then DeNiro's.

2. TheodoreQ

TheodoreQ Extra

id say deniro. sometimes they are one in the same.

3. Daniel DeLawter

Daniel DeLawter Stunt Coordinator

I would tie them. (at the top, mind you)

Pacino picks better roles, although some may say he chews scenery.

4. Joe Karlosi

Joe Karlosi Producer

Seems like a tie for me. Funny thing is, while I'd consider DeNiro the slightly better actor, I usually prefer watching Pacino.

5. Anthony Wolfe

Anthony Wolfe Stunt Coordinator

A humble opinion if you will. Now uh, what the hell are you guys doing here? Come on, you cannot compare a certain tier of actors. There are just some things you don't do, this is one of them. You cannot decide a clear victor here, they both have their drawbacks in roles, acting, etc...But in reality they are both stellar practicioners of their crafts.

This is one of those debates I hate, much like the 'retired' debate that comes up every now and then. They have completely different styles of acting, get off it, enjoy them both and leave it at that is what I say.

6. Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear Screenwriter

Pacino emotes outward, DeNiro emotes inward--your favorite will depend on the approach you personally find most satisfying. For me, it's easily Pacino; some accuse him of scenery chewing--I would counter that he's an actor willing to take risks and go 110% of the way in committing to a performance. It really comes down to something as unobjective as personal taste. I'm reminded of the interview Steven Spielberg gives on the EYES WIDE SHUT DVD regarding his list of favorite actors vs. Stanley Kubrick's.