What's new

Akira (Signature Series) on 1/04? (1 Viewer)

I searched around but can't find the details of what this is coming up for only $15. Should I wait?.....which version do you recomend if the extras aren't my biggest priority on this one? DTS and japanese soundtrack would be nice though.

thanks...b

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
The Signature Series is just the same disc at a lower price point (in this case it would be the single-disc non-DTS versin).

For Akira, I would recommend the DTS disc if want the best version of the movie and don't care about extras. It has beautiful anamorphic picture and Japanese DTS sound.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
The Special Edition only has Dolby 2.0 Japanese language with the same exact transfer. You do get some nice extras though, I have both ;)

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
I don't know if they still have it at this price, but Suncoast was selling the SE for $10 over the weekend.

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
If you are as big a fan of AKIRA as I am, you will want both discs unfortunatly. The SE is worth having for the original theatrical audio mix, and the 2nd disc's extra features. The DTS version is worth having because the DTS 5.1 mix is simply amazing. hard to get into a DD vs DTS mix on this one. The DTS mix dominates big time. Not subtle.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
The SE is worth having for the original theatrical audio mix...
Actually, Akira was given a 70MM release in Japan... so the original theatrical mix would be a 6-track magnetic mix with split surrounds. Therefore the Japanese DTS mix would be closest to emulate this.

Jason Hennigan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason Hennigan
Well, I thought that the original English track was so bad it was funny, so I guess for that reason I miss it. But I don't even watch the SE, I go straight for the DTS version each time (SE is good for the extras).

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
i miss the original eng track greatly.

although i would probably only watch with the japanese track, i sometimes feel like switching the soundtrack for just one scene eg "Tetsuo, you peebrain", i love that bit !!

unfortunately i have the R1 2 disc without orig dub

Brandon_S

Second Unit
I grew up watching the original English dub, so it does hold a special place in my heart. My favorite line was during the riot scene near the beginning of the film. A rioter walks out of a tear gas cloud gasping for air. Nearby, a cop turns and sees him, firing a tear gas canister at him while exclaiming "Scumbag!". I really miss that line :).

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
Bill, have you heard the Japanese DTS mix? Its a major improvement over the English DD mix.

Matt_P

Second Unit
Have they lowered the retail on the SE, or is it still going for around 35 bucks at B&Ms? Luckily, I found a good deal on mine, but I always thought it was too expensive. The extras are good, but not overwhelming.

Jassen M. West

Supporting Actor
The line I miss from the original dub is "Just when my coils reaching the green line!!!" Only because now its something stupid like "Just when my electro heater coils were getting warmed up" I'm sure everyone had an idea what Kaneda was talking about. OH, another thing his name is KANEDA not Canada (I'm not trying to offend anyone from Canada) The new dub lacks heart.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"Am I the only one who misses the original english dub track?"

One of the worse dubs ever done IMHO.

The Japanese DTS version rocks! I couldnt believe what I was hearing. Ive been watching this film since 1989,but I was totally unprepared for the DTS track.It was like a hearing the audio for the first time - theres SO much there I hadent heard before.:emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks