What's new

Akira Kurosawa's RAN - Masterworks Edition (street date: September 9th, 2002) (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
BTW, for anyone who may have missed the other threads that mentioned it, the only Kurusawa movie I'm more eager to see than Ran, Kagemusha is coming out soon in R2 UK -- click here.
Ted

Maryann W

Auditioning
Everyone at Wellspring is very excited about the Kurosawa Boxed Set on which we are working and the new Masterworks Edition of Ran we are producing and we're really thrilled that everyone else is looking forward to it too. Please be aware that Fox Lorber is not producing the Masterworks Edition of Ran and neither is Winstar. This is solely a Wellspring release.

Some of you have acknowledged the work we've done on our releases of Under The Sand and Breathless. Thanks very much for your support.

We are working to upgrade the old Winstar catalogue and have even partnered with Criterion to increase the speed of product improvement.

Please keep an eye out for our upcoming Masterwork Edition releases of Costa-Gavras' Z and Fassbinder's Merchant of Four Seasons due out this spring.

Thanks for your support.

Best wishes,

DonaldB

Supporting Actor
Maryann,

Thank you for joining the forum and for your comments. It's heartening to hear about Wellspring's commitment to producing quality DVDs, and we're all excited about the partnership with Criterion.

I hope you'll visit us regularly, as I'm sure you'll find many informed cinephiles here that can provide you and your company with invaluable feedback. There are representatives from other companies that have established a good relationship with this forum, from Fox and Paramount, for example, which has led to improved DVDs for us and good business for them. I hope you'll similarly make yourself available for questions and input from us.

Regards,

Don

Steve_Ch

Supporting Actor
First, thanks to Jeff Wilson for the link to Stuart Galbraith's review of the Kurosawa doc, I was going to get it, but now I have serious reservations, BTW, The Emperor and the Wolf is excellent, a must have for serious Kurosawa and Mifune fans.

Just out of curiosity, has anybody check DeepDiscountDVD? Amazon does not (usually) has the best price. I have not looked because I am not interested in any "collector" packages (the ones with LE poster, cards,...).

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Just out of curiosity, has anybody check DeepDiscountDVD? Amazon does not (usually) has the best price. I have not looked because I am not interested in any "collector" packages (the ones with LE poster, cards,...).
It is an Amazon exclusive.

Rodd Sato

Grip
Amazon updated the pic. I think this one's gonna sell out (if it hasn't already).
B000065BW7.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Maryann W,

Thanks so much for participating in this forum.

I'd like to ask why Wellspring decided not to release the "Kurosawa" documentary with an anamorphically-enhanced transfer? For a company that's in dire need of improving its reputation re quality issues, I consider this a missed opportunity - a grave mistake, even.

Will Wellspring's commitment to anamorphic enhancement remain on a title-by-title basis, and can you confirm that RAN will be so enhanced?

Best regards,

RICH.

BrentPollard

Second Unit
Well, bloody Criterion, I just paid $75.50 CAN for Rashomo, so $100 US for 3 DVDs is better deal than what I got.

Ken. I bought mine at Futureshop for 42.00 + tax. Where did you go to buy yours?

Ken Situ

Stunt Coordinator
I got it at HMV online.

Getting Criterions from Futureshop is like playing a cat and mouse game - you never know when it will show up, if at all.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
This box set is to be shipped from Amazon on September 23rd.
If anyone here receives this, please give us a review as soon as possible!
Ran is one of my favorite movies, and I am dying for a better transfer of this great film!
Have there been any specific announcements regarding the release date for the single Masterworks disc (other than in 2003)?

David Glenn

Second Unit
Yeah, I'm still on the fence as well. I'm hoping to see a review of the new Ran disc to help me decide on whether or not to cancel my Amazon order.

David Glenn

Second Unit
According to my order status and the estimated ship date, it looks like Amazon is going to ship today 9/16.

Any reviews on the Ran disc. If the new tranfer isn't that good I really want to cancel my order before it ships.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Thanks a lot David! Don't you realize that we were all relying on you to act as the guinea pig and tell us how the transfer is on Ran??? ;)
I really need this DVD, but I just can't justify the cost of this entire set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks