Akira Kurosawa's Dreams: original language issue?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Raphael, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Raphael

Raphael Stunt Coordinator

Akira Kurosawa's Dreams comes out in March, and that makes me excited. I've never seen it, but have been told about it by multiple sources.

IMDB gives the original language of the movie as Japanese (well, duh). However, DVDPlanet's specs for the film state that the disc will be English only.

I assume that this was not a mistake and Dreams was originally in Japanese. Is Warner Bros. doing the unthinkable and releasing a dub-only version of a foreign classic?

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

It is in Japanese. Joe SixPack has no interest n the is kind of film so it'd be a waste of money to dub it

3. Raphael

Raphael Stunt Coordinator

Jeff, I know very well of your credentials, and I typically take your word as stated Truth, but I do have to ask how you can be so sure. I understand there's only a smattering of dialogue in the film anyway, so it would be pretty easy to grab someone from the studio and spend 10 minutes recording a few minutes' worth of dialogue (much like Dimension films does with their HK films, I'm sure).

4. Matthew_Millheiser

Matthew_Millheiser Supporting Actor

Martin Scorsese's dialog is in English, while the rest of the movie is in its native Japanese. Perhaps that's how DVD Planet got confused...?

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer