What's new

Akira dts - so what's the verdict? (1 Viewer)

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
I only found one review, but I want more opinions...
Who picked this disc up?
And how much better is the dts track over the English Dolby track on the LE/SE?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
I think only the admin. can change your thread title.

AKIRA- DTS

Buy it. Probably one of the biggest "wow" differences I have ever heard. The japanese DTS devastates the english DD track. The english DD track seemed to be based on the Japanese 2.0 track, with everything re-tooled for 5.1. The DTS seems to be an entirely new mix, having very little in common with the previous 2.0 or 5.1 mixes.

Comparing the original Japanese 2.0 from the first disc to the new DTS, sometimes effects that barely exist in the original mix (wind, alarm sounds, gunshots) are large and loud in the new mix.

The drum hits in the opening title scene were well defined and clean on the DD track, but in the DTS version they rumble the room with punch and clarity, with full surround sound presence. .

The transfers are identical, although strangely, the THX seal of approval is absent from the DTS disc.

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
Wow...that made me drool...being a dts enthusiast, I must get this disc...are the menus and (minimal) extras identicle to disc 1 of the LE/SE?

Looks like another upgrade...thanks for your comments...

AaronMan

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
My first post!

Yes, I agree with Jeremy. The DTS version is a huge difference! It simply blows away the Dolby Digital version. It seems the music was given an overhaul or something. It sounds great, and of course, its the Japanese version! This was what I have been waiting for for a long time.

Also, even though the THX logo is no were to be found, look on the back cover just below the Dolby Digital and DTS logos. The THX registered trademark fine print stuff is there. Strange, you'd think they would put the THX logo all over the box.

Now only if Manga Entertainment would release a DTS Ghost in the Shell...

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
One due note, the R1 Akira DTS is at half bitrate with an English 5.1 DD. The R2 (Japan) Akira DTS is at full bitrate with a Japanese 5.1 DD as well. The original R2 DVD of Akira had a 5.1 Japanese, 5.1 English and a 2.0 Japanese.

And the R2 is closer to being progressive than the R1, but not quite progressive enough.

Daniel P

Stunt Coordinator
One due note, the R1 Akira DTS is at half bitrate with an English 5.1 DD. The R2 (Japan) Akira DTS is at full bitrate with a Japanese 5.1 DD as well. The original R2 DVD of Akira had a 5.1 Japanese, 5.1 English and a 2.0 Japanese.
Well Kong Chang, now you've thrown a spanner in the works...can anyone do a comparison between the R1 dts and R2 dts tracks? Does anyone own or have access to both? Also for their picture quality?

Also, does this Japanese version include English subtitles?

JeremySt

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeremy
The menus and music are identical on the DTS disc, however, there are no special features on the disc, so non e are listed on the menu. Also, I dont think the THX logo plays before the movie on the DTS version.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
The R2 has no subtitles, hence making it useless to 98% of the members, Most people either a-Do not speak Japanese and do not care to watch untranslated material, or b-are not running an HTPC and hasn't ripped the sub track from the US disc.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Due note, the Akira DTS R2 DVD (Pioneer Japan), the limited edition package, includes a 2nd disc of extras, which is not the same as the package that came with the regular Akira R2 DVD (Bandai Japan).

Just a heads up on this info as well. :)

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
the R1 Akira DTS is at half bitrate with an English 5.1 DD
Huh, why is there a DD 5.1 English track on there if a DVD with such a track already exists? Seems a waste of space because anyone buying this is doing so for the DTS track. If they wanted a English DD 5.1 track, they would have already bought the first disc, right? Or is this related to that rule where a DVD can't just have a DTS track on it?

ChrisJefferys

Stunt Coordinator
A DVD must have a DD or PCM track on it, nothing said it has to be 5.1 though
Yeah, I was thinking that DD 2.0 or PCM would be good enough.
Sooo, why the hell are they putting a DD 5.1 English track on the new release (when they could have used the extra space for full bitrate DTS instead)? If someone wants to buy Akira in 5.1 but doesn't want to "read a movie", they can just buy the first version, right? I'm not sure I'm following Pioneer's logic.

JonBoriss

Stunt Coordinator
I have the LE 2 disc tin set of this movie so I wasn't going to get the DTS version but you guys are saying its so radically different I think I'm going to go pick it up soon, thanks for the info!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks