What's new

Akira DTS coming. New mix? Bitrate? (1 Viewer)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Link Removed
I'd love to know more details about this. I wonder if this is the exact same mix as the DD5.1 track.
If this is full bitrate, I actually might pick it up.
I'd love to see a separate release, full bitrate DTS trend.

Jay Sylvester

Supporting Actor
Dual releases with one being full-bitrate DTS would be a great trend--provided we know the DTS release is coming. I'm kind of miffed that I'll be buying Akira again, but I'll do it because I love the movie.

DTS used to be an option on receivers, but it's everywhere now. Even the cheapest HTIB systems have DTS decoders built in. I don't think it's a big risk for studios to release DTS-only DVDs.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I noticed that it said Japenese DTS 5.1. I don't know if it significant or not but on Metropolis I believe the english version is DD 5.1 and Japanese version DTS 5.1. It would be great to have a DTS version of this movie.

StevenA

Second Unit
If this means there will be a 5.1 Japanese track on the disc, it will be a must-buy for me, as there is only a 2.0 Japanese track on the original Region 1 release (which I am glad to have as it is the original track, but it would be very nice to have the souped up 5.1 track as an option).

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Steve. The only thing marring the current release is that they only remixed the English track. I've been in the habit of swapping to the English mix during heavy action scenes just because of the excellent sound.

I'll pick it up and pass the current one on to a friend.

Chris M

Second Unit
I agree with Steve and Alex. Akira would be PERFECT if it has a 5.1 Japanese track like Metropolis does.

Chris.

StevenA

Second Unit
The R2 has a Japanese 5.1 track, but I'm not sure if it has a DTS track or a DD track only.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There was no room for it

The Japanese DTS release is coming out 3-4 months before the US one

I'll be picking it up for 5.1 OSL

Given that this is probably going to be a virtual direct port of the J disc, my guess would be full bitrate DTS

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Jeff,

Are R2 anime DTS discs typically full bitrate?

I noticed the R2 version is a full 2-disc set, not a movie-only release.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Yes, the R2 anime discs I have seen are all full bitrate, hence my assumption

If you have the first Akira 2disc, you have what's on the Japanese 2 disc.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Yes, most likely, the DTS R2 DVD of this movie (being sold for 3800 Yen, about $31 USD) will have only Japanese on it, and the Japanese studio will most likely try to full max bitrate the audio for DTS. The R2 already has Japanese 5.1 DD, but a DTS 5.1 or 6.1 (not sure, since the announcement is not clear) would be just awesome.
Me, I'm investing in the R2 because, damn, I want full max bitrate. :)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
If you mean will it have Japanese stereo, Akira did have a 70mm 6-track release, which is most likely the source of the 5.1 Japanese.

The R1 DTS DVD will have Japanese DTS and a DD5.1 English dub. Unknown at this time if it's full or half bitrate, but signs are pointing to full.

Gabe Oppenheim

Stunt Coordinator
Add me to the list of those that will purchase this (a double-dip, as I bought the original tin) if it has any sort of OSL 5.1 track on it (though the "O" in OSL and the fact that the remix is 5.1 sort of contradict each other).

DTS at 1509 would be just terrific.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Gabe, as I just said, Akira had a 6-track 70mm release during its original run, which is likely the basis for the 5.1 track

I personally have always wanted to see it in 70, given that all of the backgrounds and cels were 2.20:1, but 1:85:1 is the preferred AR by the direcor.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks