Akira and Seven Samurai questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dome Vongvises, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

I have means to which I can get the regular edition, special edition, and the much coveted limited tin box (a store I know has three or four of them) of Akira. Should I get it?
    If anybody is in the Lexington, KY area, Best Buy just recently got in a shipment of some rare DVD Criterion titles. Anybody interested, go fetch some for yourself. Anyway, I wanted to ask if Seven Samurai was a good buy for everybody else. I thought it was.
    ------------------
    "I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson

2. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

Get the Akira tin - it really is pretty cool!
    Seven Samurai was one of my first dvd purchases and certainly one I don't regret.

3. Brandon_S

Brandon_S Second Unit

Dome,
    I was out and about at Fayette Mall today and saw a ton of Akira Tins in various stores. It really suprised me to see that many left out there. But I did finally track down a copy of the Goonies!
    Brandon Smith
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    http://sweb.uky.edu/~btsmit2
    [email protected]

4. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

Expect a lot more hard to find Criterion titles in Best Buy stores. This seems to be the future. Our selection is ever closer to matching Suncoast, only we have more of a given title in stock. I encourage everyone to go in and look. I found Sanjuro the other day. Also, lots of imported kung-fu flicks as well. HOORAY!

5. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

I went into Best Buy today to get Forrest Gump and saw 3 copies of Criterions Brazil which shocked me.
    Also saw 4 copies of Criterions Seven Samurai(One of my 10 All time Faves). I thought it was discontinued.
    Also saw Criterions Sanjuro for a mere $22.
    ------------------
    Visit My Pathetic WebPage
    "....With that in mind,I humbly add my own prophecy of
    what the dawn of the new millennium shall bring forth-
    one thousand more years of the same old crap" Jose Chung
    [Edited last by JonZ on August 28, 2001 at 07:55 PM]

6. Dome Vongvises

Criterion Collection DVD's at Best Buy
    - All That Heaven Allows
    - Last Temptation of Christ
    - Armageddon
    - The Rock
    - Seven Samurai
    - Sanjuro
    - The Third Man
    - Spartacus
    - Chasing Amy
    - Rushmore (I'm not sure about this one though)
    - Brazil
    Those were the ones that popped out at me, but I'm sure there's more that I didn't look for.
    ------------------
    "I don't know, Marge. Trying is the first step towards failure." - Homer J. Simpson

7. Jun-Dai Bates

Jun-Dai Bates Stunt Coordinator

Seven Samurai was only discontinued for a while. It was reissued. I heard that there were some issues with Toho (Toho hadn't realized that the subtitles were going to be removable), but they seem to be resolved (the rerelease is R1, and I think the original was regionless)

8. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

Dome, add The Hidden Fortress and Lord of the Flies to that list. Also, Rushmore can in fact be purchased at Best Buy.
    Also, if you are a collector of DVDs or just like cool cases, get the tin. Here in Houston, I can't find the tin in any of the major BMs ('course, there are many I haven't checked. Give me a break, it's a large city! [​IMG] ). I got mine on the first day and haven't regretted it. Looks mighty sweeeet!
    [Edited last by James D S on August 29, 2001 at 06:31 PM]

9. Dome Vongvises

All I can say is, I finally got the tin!!! Man that thing is humongous (relatively speaking of course). I'm a little disturbed by the plastic part that holds the DVD's. Anybody within a two hundred mile radius of Lexington, KY should head to the Fayette Mall and pick up a tin. At last count, I've found five tins in two different stores.
    ------------------