What's new

AKIRA 4K UHD (1 Viewer)

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I've had Akira at home since the almighty Criterion CAV three-disc laserdisc - it was my first experience of Japanese manga. I subsequently purchased the 2009 blu-ray and thought the picture looked pretty decent then. However, this 4K UHD is a significant improvement. Compared with the blu-ray included in this 4K package, the 4K picture is superb. There is much more detail visible in dark areas of the picture, the colours really shine and there are no speckles visible on the 4K picture. Also, the subtitles have been improved.

IMG_2939.jpg
IMG_2937.jpg
IMG_2938.jpg

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I thought I read a post here somewhere, can't remember from who, that said this 4K release of Akira was an abomination, or something to that effect.

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I thought I read a post here somewhere, can't remember from who, that said this 4K release of Akira was an abomination, or something to that effect.
Looks absolutely beautiful projected.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Good to know! I'll be picking this one up soon. Thanks for posting your impressions.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Caps-a-holic have published their screenshots. The film is simply gorgeous in motion - would have liked to know which company was responsible for preparing the master. Would guess a Japanese company.

I believe Funimation is releasing a 4K version for the US ...
This may be of interest if you have HDR10 ...

The UK version which appears to be the picture in titch's post is from Manga Entertainment and it has had some negative reviews.

Manga set
1609408377738.png

Funimation set

1609408481280.png

For those of you who would like to request the 4K HDR version of AKIRA, please send an email to [email protected] (US/CA) or [email protected] (UK/IRE) with “AKIRA 4K” as the subject, and provide your name, mailing address, email address and proof of purchase (receipt or confirmation email and photo of the disc).

If you’re unable to provide a receipt or confirmation email as proof of purchase, you will be requested to send your current disc to Funimation. So fret not if you get the
AKIRA 4K Limited Edition for Christmas, you can still upgrade your disc!

Last edited:

titch

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Oppegaard
I believe Funimation is releasing a 4K version for the US ...
This may be of interest if you have HDR10 ...

The UK version which appears to be the picture in titch's post is from Manga Entertainment and it has had some negative reviews.

Manga set
View attachment 85008

Funimation set

View attachment 85009

For those of you who would like to request the 4K HDR version of AKIRA, please send an email to [email protected] (US/CA) or [email protected] (UK/IRE) with “AKIRA 4K” as the subject, and provide your name, mailing address, email address and proof of purchase (receipt or confirmation email and photo of the disc).

If you’re unable to provide a receipt or confirmation email as proof of purchase, you will be requested to send your current disc to Funimation. So fret not if you get the
AKIRA 4K Limited Edition for Christmas, you can still upgrade your disc!
Negative reviews? On forums? Because of lack of HDR or something? Those people never saw Akira theatrically. This is a 32 year old film. The quality is far better than on the blu-ray editions.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Negative reviews? On forums? Because of lack of HDR or something? Those people never saw Akira theatrically. This is a 32 year old film. The quality is far better than on the blu-ray editions.
At least one review I looked ad was basically no HDR was a bit of a deal breaker - but gave it a 7 out of 10

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks