Akai/Samsung 42" - green tint problem

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Craig, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Craig

Craig Second Unit

First off, no I'm not watching The Matrix.

This is the Akai PT4298D, which is basically a rebadged Samsung without the DVI connection.

Dark areas of the picture have a pronounced green tint, in fact I'd say the set doesn't display true blacks, just dark greens. Brightly lit scenes outdoors look pretty good, but anytime the scene switches back to shadows, the green is back. I'm using a new Sony NS575P DVD player in progressive mode.

Since the set is only a couple of days old and I got it from Circuit City I'm probably just going to ask for an exchange while it's in the 30 day return window. I think with a new set I shouldn't bother to go thru any repair hassles.

Thought I'd check first before heading back to Circuit City in case there's something I'm overlooking.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

It's not tracking an accurate grayscale at low light levels. This could be corrected with a proper, professional calibration. But, then, some sets are difficult to get to track accurately.

3. Craig

Craig Second Unit

Thanks Jack, you're probably right. I've played around with it some more and gotten it to look somewhat better, but it's obvious it's not something I'm going to be able to fully resolve in the user menu.

I only paid $899 for it during a Memorial Day sale, so I'm not expecting state of the art. It's just for casual DVD viewing at a friend's house, I've got my own HT setup in my own house.

It's obviously a pretty cheap set, but it should be able to a little better than what I'm seeing now. I went back and looked around again at Circuit City and Best Buy, but it looks like all the manufacturers are doing away with smaller CRT based RPTVs, and the Plasma, LCD & DLP sets are a little too expensive. Given the price, I think I'll just stick with this one and try to get it calibrated after it's broken in.

4. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

It could also be your green gun is pushing too much green and your guns hasn't settled in because it's brand new. I don't know about Akai, but on my Panny, you can reduce the output by opening up the tv and using those dials on the guns for adjustments.