Akai RPTV's?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott Strang, Nov 14, 2001.

1. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

I saw one at Sam's and it had a hideous picture.
    Has anyone seen these?
    I guess they're some Chinese junk?
    ------------------
    "What did Mr Spock see when he looked in the toilet? The Captain's Log."
    Stolen from a BBS in 1985

2. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Akai is a Japanese company. Their products were rather popular in Sweden at least, back in the 80's. Haven't seen much about them in years though, and their website hasn't been updated in 2 years according to the date stamp on the pages.
    Maybe they're gearing up for a comeback a la Zenith and Samsung... they used to have decent products.
    /Mike

3. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

That TV looked pretty bad, but it may just need to be calibrated. There was also an Akai flat tube TV that looked A LOT like a Sampo sitting near it.
    What I was thinking is are they the same company that used to be in our market years ago. Or are they a completely different company with the Akai name purchased like Curtis Mathes, Zenith, etc.
    I do remember their Open reel and cassette decks. For a while they even had some turntables, receivers, int amps and tuners. They had some weird video formats too and one of them ended up being used in some small audio multi-track apps.
    Do you remember their 1/4" Open reel video format? Now that was weird.
    I think they were in bed with Roberts at some point.
    Thanks for your response.
    ------------------
    "What did Mr Spock see when he looked in the toilet? The Captain's Log."
    Stolen from a BBS in 1985