What's new

AKAI CFT2790 vs CFT2791 (1 Viewer)

jeff_el

Auditioning
I just stopped by sam's club wanting to pick up the akai cft2790 after hearing the good reviews on the samsung and the akai clone. sam's club had the cft2790 for 349, but they also had a cft2791 for 379. Does anyone know what the difference between these two models are? i might've missed something, but they look identical to each other and both boxes list out the same specs.

Dan V

Stunt Coordinator
I was wondering the same thing. I opted or the 2791 because they only had a display left of the 2790 and the clerk said they were discontinued. In previous posts on the 2790, it was stated that if you used the component and s-video hookups both, you had to unplug the one not being used. In my 2791, from the remote you can access the video inputs, and you can switch between av-1(composite), av-2,(composite jacks on side), s-video, and dvd (which I assume is component).I bought this tv for the bedroom, and as I don't have a spare dvd player yet, I haven't been able to try any switching and my dvd player is rack mounted so I don't want to tear it out to try it. I was wondering if anyone has tried to switch between s-video and component. Could this be a difference between the models? By the way, I love the 2791 and have no regrets.

Michael Johnston

Stunt Coordinator
Dan,
I believe the component/s-video problem was that the audio inputs were shared between the two. So, you can switch between the video sources fine, but the sound will be wrong on one on them (e.g. S-Video source sound through the TV speakers while watching a DVD).
Of course, if you listen through a receiver the problem is solved.
Michael

Dan V

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Michael, I plan on hooking up a dvd player thru the component, don't know if I will ever use the s-video, but regardless, everything audio will be routed to a receiver, so i should have no problem.Thanks for the info.

Larry F.

Agent
Dan

I had actually called the AKAI distributer and talked with their tech rep. He told me there was no difference between the akai 2790 or 2791. Mostly marketing as they will be soon distributing the product through other sources as Best Buy, etc. besides just Sam's. I picked up the 2790 at Sam's for $349 and was just in the store they just got more in (2790) I got an extra year warr on mine for $19.95 at Sam's also supported by a local service firm. I called them and asked specifically about qulaity etc. He said they see very few problems with the Samsung and AKAI clone.

Larry

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
treed99
Recent bookmarks