What's new

Akai 30" 16:9 CRT for $499 at Sams Club (1 Viewer)

Joey_R

Stunt Coordinator
I did not see High Definition referenced on the website. I assume this is a Widescreen Non High Definition television?

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
I keep checking back to this thread because I am extremely interested in this set. If anyone has more information on it that would be great. I checked out the samsung version and it is $1000.00, making this set and price a great deal. Keep me updated if you can. Thanks.

-Eric

Aurel Savin

Supporting Actor
Cool deal .. but it is not HD ready ... notice that it does not even have Component input, or S-Vhs for that matter (which is strange)

Looking for something similar myself. Currently the Samsung unit for $999 is the cheapest.

Daniel Mai

Stunt Coordinator
I've seen this at my Socal location for $599. A very nice unit. It does have component input for DVD, but I don't think it's HDTV ready or takes a progressive scan signal. I'm not a 100% sure about the S-video, but it should have one contrary to the previous post. If I had seen this 6 months ago, I would have bought it without hesitation for my son's room. Tempting, very tempting....

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I really wish I hadn't seen this thread. I've been looking at the $999 Samsung for a while. I really want 16:9. The HD part doesn't really matter to me. Plus, at this price, I can afford a larger 16:9 set later. Now I'm torn. Crap.

Eric Walsh

Stunt Coordinator
It does have component input it....well according to the specs page linked above. Any other info would still be helpful...I will try to check it out tomorrow and let you all know what I learn. That's if they even have it there of course.

-Eric

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'd be wary of paying $500 for a 480i set at this point, when (admittedly smaller) sets that do 480p are approaching the $600 point already.

16:9 is great, but it's still 480i.

Then again, I'm sure some of us have different criteria. And there's nothing wrong with that!

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
I probably won't be looking to buy for another two months or so, so there will probably be something better for this price by then.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This would be a nice set for PS2/Xbox in the bedroom IF it has standard inputs besides component. It HAS to have them, doesnt it? =p

Can you link that Anandtech discussion please?

Sam

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...hreadid=941975
There it is. I'm certainly not recommending this set as the be all and end all of home theater, but for a dorm room/beach house/kids room setup that price is hard to beat.
The Akai website indicates it has both front and rear "standard" inputs (composite+stereo). Not sure about S-video, but logically it should given that it has composite and component. According to the ongoing discussion, it has Full, Wide, and stretch modes.
If you're looking for a comparably cheap HDTV, the Samsung 309x sets are tough to beat for the price. A friend just got one, and after Avia and a little burn in time, it has a beautiful 480p and 1080i picture.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Thanks for the update!

Any further details on whether or not it has Svideo on any panels would be appreciated. If it has Svideo at one or more, this would be the perfect, cheap upgrade for my bedroom.

Sam

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Should mention that I was one of the lucky few who got the RCA 34" Widescreen Console TV from Sams Club about 5 years ago. Best $800 I ever spent on a TV and it is holding me over quite nicely for my main set until I can get a real HDTV for the living room.

Progressive scan would be a nice bonus, but since its for the secondary room (where my PS2 is hooked up since I dont have room for both it and the Xbox) 480i is still a huge step up over a 25" 4:3....

Sam

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Yah..."beachouse?" Obviously not all HTF members are alike (in pocketbook, that is). This would be a great set for my living room...where 16x9 probably won't be present for a looong time.
:D

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
It does have component inputs. I was just taking a good look at it at the local Sam's. Only alarming thing is that their seemed to be a 3-5 second delay between the time you hit the button and the time it actually changed channels on the display model. But this was of course at Sam's, so who knows what kind of abuse that display model has suffered.
Also was the only TV that they didn't have hooked up to a cable signal or DVD player, so I have no clue on the picture quality out of the box. It appears to be a stripped down non-HD version of the Samsung 30" HDs.

Beau B

Stunt Coordinator
My Sam's in Northwest Indiana does not carry this model in store. The closest store that does carry it is about 1 hour away. I wish it was not $99.00 to ship it. Maybe a little Road Trip is in order.

Beau

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
Man. I should of NEVER had seen this post.
Beau. Which store in NW Indiana had it?? The one here in Mishawaka? Anyone wanna buy a slighty used 32 inch JVC ??
Now that I look at it though. Don't think it would fit in my entertainment center.
Anyone own this set that can chime in?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks