What's new

Akai 1080i Connection Question (1 Viewer)

Cold Sore Freddy

Auditioning
Real Name
Josh
Hi. Forgive me if this is an idiotic question but I have a Akai PDP5016H Plasma TV. I also have a Sony Blu-ray player, Xbox 360 and HDTV via Satellite. The Akai has a DVI input but the HDTV mode is only in YPbPr through compnent connections. In other words if I hook up the Blu-ray through the DVI it doesn't work. When I hook it up through components it's great. I would like to hook everything up through YPbPr to get the 1080i experience. My question is if I were to buy an AV receiver that has HDMI Inputs (for the BR player, XBox and Satellite) and a YPbPr monitor out would this solve my problem? Would it weaken the signal? Thanks.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I don't think receivers downconvert from HDMI to component. It's the other way around. The receiver would probably also have component inputs for you to use. Today's receivers shouldn't degrade the signal any.

I thought DVI was also an HD connection. Maybe you have to tell the player to use DVI, instead of HDMI, in it's setup menus? Or in the tv's setup menus? This must be an older Akai plasma? Maybe an HDMI to DVI cable?
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trishy!
Recent bookmarks