What's new

Airtags buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yea. Unless you signed up for TSA Pre.
Didn’t know that was a thing.

Well, you do also have to pay for that too... although some (pricy, premium travelers) CCs offer to cover that cost -- probably worth it if you fly fairly often/regularly, but maybe not if you only fly once or twice a year...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Didn’t know that was a thing.
It's a great thing.
Well, you do also have to pay for that too... although some (pricy, premium travelers) CCs offer to cover that cost -- probably worth it if you fly fairly often/regularly, but maybe not if you only fly once or twice a year...

_Man_
It's less than $100 per five years. If you travel even a couple times a year, I think it's the best money spent on travel. If you only fly once every five years, then not worth the bother.

If you do international trips at all, then spend the extra $20 to get global entry.

And if you have a credit card with travel-related perks, see if it covers the cost of TSA Pre or Global Entry. Many do.

If you're a *really* frequent traveler or have absolutely no patience for any kind of waiting-in-line, you should get Clear. But that's $100 per year. A friend has it and loves it. I think that's too much money for the modest improvement over TSA Pre.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Tell me more. From what I gather, it’s $70 for 5 years which is fine. I wonder if I can get approved in a week since my next flight out is next Saturday.
That's a new renewal rate. Initial enrollment is still $85.

It requires an in-person appointment, so act tomorrow (Monday) if you hope to get it done this week.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
But they do, kind of. They are actually leveraging the nfc readers in Android devices to extend their network outside of the Apple ecosystem.
Is this true? Android phones also help in locating AirTags? This is on my mind since my wife just lost her wallet with every single credit/debit/id/ssn card in it you can imagine. She’s organized, keeps things together. Also $200 in cash. She was taking cats to the vet and she thinks she put her wallet (with Prius key attached ) on the roof of the car while she loaded the cat carriers. She then got in the car and drove off with the wallet on the roof. The Prius allowed the card to be started even though the keys where not in the car. That’s the theory.

I tried duplicating the situation with the spare key and the Prius cannot detect the key and will not start with the key on the roof. So how the wallet was lost is only a theory, but it’s lost. A long way to say I wish we had an air tag.

So do they really use android phones too? Are Apple air tags still the best choice?

PS: Yes we are cancelling cards etc. Since we’ve already been the victim of identify theft, we keep are credit frozen. If some applies we’ll know.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Is this true? Android phones also help in locating AirTags? This is on my mind since my wife just lost her wallet with every single credit/debit/id/ssn card in it you can imagine. She’s organized, keeps things together. Also $200 in cash. She was taking cats to the vet and she thinks she put her wallet (with Prius key attached ) on the roof of the car while she loaded the cat carriers. She then got in the car and drove off with the wallet on the roof. The Prius allowed the card to be started even though the keys where not in the car. That’s the theory.

I tried duplicating the situation with the spare key and the Prius cannot detect the key and will not start with the key on the roof. So how the wallet was lost is only a theory, but it’s lost. A long way to say I wish we had an air tag.

So do they really use android phones too? Are Apple air tags still the best choice?

PS: Yes we are cancelling cards etc. Since we’ve already been the victim of identify theft, we keep are credit frozen. If some applies we’ll know.

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton
Is this true? Android phones also help in locating AirTags?
If I understand things correctly, Android phones are not part of the "Find My" network. and will not help locate AirTags, the way that iPhones, iPads, and Macs do. You won't see an updated AirTag location on a map simply because someone with an Android phone walked nearby.

https://www.apple.com/airtag/

What the MacRumors article seems to be saying is that if someone finds a "Lost Mode" AirTag and scans it with a NFC-capable Android phone, they'll get a notification that can take them to a Web site with information that might help identify the AirTag's owner.

The analogy would be someone using a chip reader to scan a stray cat – and discovering that the cat has an implanted microchip registered to so-and-so. An Android phone might be part of the means by which you get an AirTagged-item back, but the Android phone user will have to notice your AirTag and proactively scan it first.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212227

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
We bought 4 AirTags.

Before knowing how they work and not having done any investigating into it we thought that we could attach one to soemthing and the find My would retrieve the location for us rather quickly.

While that does seem to happen it isn’t quick at all.
My wife took one of our dogs to the vet with an AirTag attached to his collar.

If found them but took quite a while maybe 20-30 minutes.
then it didn’t update again for another 15-20 minutes.
We’re guessing this is normal behavior for one of these devices.

We are going to Vegas for 5 days next week amd reluctantly will be leaving out 2 14 year old dachshund Pom mix dogs at my 82 year old father house.

So we figured we would put AirTags on the dogs in case they escaped.

If we could give them each an iPhone (the dogs) that would have been great as find my location tracking works instantly.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Keep in mind AirTags need to be near other iOS devices to relay location. So if your dogs run away in the city, probably helpful. If they get lost in the woods, possibly useless.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I bought a single AirTag last year after I started traveling for work. It stays in my suitcase so I can track it if when the Airlines screw up and put my checked bag on the wrong flight going to a different city.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
I bought a single AirTag last year after I started traveling for work. It stays in my suitcase so I can track it if when the Airlines screw up and put my checked bag on the wrong flight going to a different city.

Our Current sitch
About to take off.
IMG_2107.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread