What's new

Airtags buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

So, you're saying that the white material around the edge and on one entire side of the Airtag is metal? Looks like plastic to me.

1619105034854.png

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
If these work and they’re successful as a search device...they’re going to go through substantial privacy and implementation revisions. People are already very worried about how these can be used by abusive people in abusive relationships.

Apple has clearly put some thought into this. But it’s clear the tech world is a small, homogenous, affluent population with experiences that are but a small slice of the greater word. They get important things very wrong on social interactions.

Could be an interesting development.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Curious if I can leave one in my car to make it easier to find in parking lots and parking garage. Current system works automatically with Bluetooth, so gets close but could be better with UWB.

Wonder if can be used for “where the heck are my friends / family in this theme park?”

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Thread...

That’s a blunt force, all-or-nothing option. Doesn’t provide any of the nuance ultimately needed for managing this stuff adequately.

We’re in the beginning step of “allow all alarms or mute phone completely”. Have to get to sophisticated, context-based muting of alarms while allowing emergency signals through, even during the theater.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Honestly, if there's enough need/demand for airtagging your camera bag, I'd think ThinkTank, et al will just design and/or market bags specifically w/ that in mind for likely better solution... and I'm guessing at least someone like Peak Design may even take the lead on that.

Plenty of good camera bags come w/ pretty good hiding places anyway -- some to a fault w/ way too many little (and/or hard to see) compartments, LOL...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Interested in what the real value of these will be, five years from now. They aren't going to be products that actively "delight" people. Ideally, they're tossed into a bag or clipped to keys, and never used again.

I view them as a $100 insurance policy that will never be used. There's been once in the past ten years this might have been useful to me, when my luggage got lost at an airport halfway to Europe. This presuambly could have shown me where the bag was and gotten my luggage to me before my trip was over.

But in nearly a decade of traveling significantly locally and nationally, I haven't lost my keys, luggage, dog, wallet, etc. in any way that these devices would have been at all useful.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Interested in what the real value of these will be, five years from now. They aren't going to be products that actively "delight" people. Ideally, they're tossed into a bag or clipped to keys, and never used again.

I view them as a $100 insurance policy that will never be used. There's been once in the past ten years this might have been useful to me, when my luggage got lost at an airport halfway to Europe. This presuambly could have shown me where the bag was and gotten my luggage to me before my trip was over.

But in nearly a decade of traveling significantly locally and nationally, I haven't lost my keys, luggage, dog, wallet, etc. in any way that these devices would have been at all useful.

It'll probably be just another part of a better case study on how marketing trumps reality (and form apparently sells better than actual function) -- and how Apple is the king at that even a decade after Steve Jobs' passing, LOL. ;) :laugh:

IF I had the dough to splurge, I'd probably spend the $100 to see for myself too...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'd buy the $100 pack if I were traveling. Insurance.

My wife has stated we will buy such things for next major vacation, at the latest.

But in terms of my daily life, no benefit to me; doubly in pandemic times.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'd buy the $100 pack if I were traveling. Insurance.

My wife has stated we will buy such things for next major vacation, at the latest.

But in terms of my daily life, no benefit to me; doubly in pandemic times.

I get that... though I'm not that much a believer in buying insurance. In most cases, I see as it unnecessary (though it's sometimes forced on us anyway)... unless I can splurge for the peace of mind and sometimes (but not often) extra convenience...

Often, better personal planning should eliminate the need, but yeah, we all have limited time and energy for that, so there can be need to strike some good balance so we can actually enjoy life too, haha...

_Man_

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don’t buy add-on insurance.

But $100 for risk reduction that covers dozens or hundreds of flights over several years? Sure, I’ll risk $100 on that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks