What's new

Airport Express (1 Viewer)

Tom Boucher

Second Unit
Real Name
Tom
Not sure if this was the right place, but I wanted to post my review of the new Airport Express that Apple relased that lets you 'push' your music to a stereo of your choice, or to powered speakers.

I've got it hooked up and I'm playing both 224KB AAC ripped CDs as well as 128KB iTunes Music Store CDs on it.

Thought I'd share my experiences so far.

Darryl

Stunt Coordinator
This is a cool idea, but the fact that I have to go upstairs to hit 'play' makes it lose its appeal to me.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
If there were some sort of remote control on this thing, I would have bought one in a hearbeat. As Darryl said, having to go upsatirs to run the PC kills it for me.

I am very eager to see what the user reports are for the Roku Soundbridge....once it finally ships....if it ever ships!

It looks to have native iTunes support, and a decent GUI that would appear to do exactly what I need.

BGL

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link to the review. I agree w/ Brian that the Soundbridge looks like a great device, and probably worth waiting for.

I continue to lobby for an area of HTF devoted to portable music devices, their associated hardware and software, encoding, etc.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I'm getting mine Wednesday. I'll post impressions. Didn't realize I needed a mini optical cable, but fortunately I have one that came with my MD player. Hopefully that will work fine.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The stars were totally out of alignment or something for this thing to work out. First, the package gets held up in Indianapolis a day, gets to town the next day but the FedEx driver doesn't bother to try another entrance for delivery, so I put a hold on the package so I can pick it up personally the following day. Last night I tried for about four hours (or more) to get the thing to work and finally called Apple and I'm getting a replacement. I also had another package scheduled to arrive yesterday but it got mis-sorted and sent to Seattle. :angry:

Okay...thanks for letting me rant.

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
This may be a stupid question, but I'm unclear on it and maybe someone will have the answer.

I've currently got a Netgear wireless router, and was interested in using the Airport Extreme as a repeater and for Airtunes.

Is this product compatible with any old wireless router?

I'm running OS X 10.3.4 if that makes any difference.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
In theory it should be able to connect. So far I haven't had any luck, but then I'm running a PC.

Craig F

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig
The repeater function (wireless bridging) is only compatible with another Airport Express or an Airport Extreme Base Station.

You can set up a roaming configuration, but each station will need to be on a different channel. Don't use adjacent channels, this causes interference. For two access points, channels 1 and 6 is a good choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks