What's new

Airport (CDG) store procedure (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
While waiting for my flight at the gate in Charles de Gaulle airport, I went browsing in the stores as I had a ton of Euros to kill. In addition to some last minute gifts for my nephews, I also went into a Virgin music store at the terminal and saw a CD I liked. Went to buy it and the guy asked for my boarding pass. What's up with that? I asked him why but he didn't seem to understand my question. Is this something to do with duty/tax purposes?

Jay

Kevin-M

Agent
I can't speak specifically for Virgin, but the Duty Free shops do the same so they can deliver your goods to you on the plane, rather than have you carry them on yourselves.

If there's a point to the practice though, I sure don't know what it is........

BrianB

Senior HTF Member
Is this something to do with duty/tax purposes?
Basically, yes. The whole point of Duty Free stores at European airports is to get around paying local duty. By providing your boarding pass, you're verifying that you're a legitimate customer at that price.

At certain European airports, they'll go as far as marking your boarding pass if you buy wine, spirits etc, because each passenger has a particular legal limit they can buy.

Here in Dallas, DFW doesnt' have a seperate international lounge, so you if you want dutyfree, you *must* provide your boarding pass as they hold onto all goods until you make your way onto the plane.

Devin U

Second Unit
Last time I was in Gatwick (LGW), they had like a duty free mini mall. You had to show your boarding pass before they let you in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation690
Recent bookmarks