What's new

Airpods Pro official - buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Erp. Can’t do spatial audio until i upgrade to 14. I forgot that requirement. Will check it out after I upgrade. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Has anyone experienced this with spatial audio? I’ve been trying out the past half hour with Atmos demos and YouTube clips. I get high quality fake 3D — like what I remember from 20 years ago the last time this was all the rage. But nothing like what’s described here. Getting up and walking away from my iPhone and the sound remains anchored to me, not to the phone across the room. I don’t know if this requires AppleTV+ content or Ted Lasso or if my brain doesnt do 3 D audio.

“AirPods Firmware Updated with Spatial Audio for Pro Models and Automatic Device Switching for All AirPods - MacStories”
As Ted Lasso played, I turned in my chair and got up, and walked around my office. With spatial audio turned on, which you can do by long-pressing the volume slider in Control Center in the iOS or iPadOS 14 betas, the source of the sound seemed to come directly from my iPad that was sitting on my desk. Next, I switched to watching on my iPhone and moved it as I walked around my office. The entire time the sound seemed to be coming directly from the iPhone.

While testing spatial audio, I moved around far more than I normally would when I watch a show. Even with exaggerated movement, though, the effect felt incredibly real as though the sound were coming from the speakers of the device playing the video. The effect is so well done that I expect in everyday use, like shifting your iPhone from one hand to the other or turning your head for a moment, I’ll forget spatial audio is even engaged.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My right airpod pro stopped charging today. This has happened previously, but cleaning the case resovled it. Today, it's just done.

Chatting with Apple Support, going to ship me a new one. I could go to a store and get it sooner, but getting to the nearest Apple Store is inconvenient on weekdays, so I'll gamble and hope it gets here faster than seven business days.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
There are a lot of sales regarding this product. I appreciate any recommendations as to what I should purchase accessory-wise as I'm seriously looking at the AirPods Pro. Does the Pro come with the following, no matter where you purchase it from like Target and Amazon?

• Wireless Charging Case
  • Silicone ear tips (three sizes)
  • Lightning to USB-C Cable

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
There are a lot of sales regarding this product. I appreciate any recommendations as to what I should purchase accessory-wise as I'm seriously looking at the AirPods Pro. Does the Pro come with the following, no matter where you purchase it from like Target and Amazon?

• Wireless Charging Case
  • Silicone ear tips (three sizes)
  • Lightning to USB-C Cable
If you find they don't stay in well, get these:

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I might need to check those out. When I turn my head sideways, I’ll often have one fly out.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I might need to check those out. When I turn my head sideways, I’ll often have one fly out.
They don't stay for me with any activity, even walking. Those silicon wings fixed it. You have to take them off to put the pods back in their charging case, But they're easy to slip on and off.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Crap, I failed to realize these air pods pro came with the new lightening cable and I don't have a way to charge it using that cable as I only have the old power adapter. Any suggestions? Will the following work? Edit: Anyhow, at least I can charge my airpods pro using my old lightening cable and power adapter.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Crap, I failed to realize these air pods pro came with the new lightening cable and I don't have a way to charge it using that cable as I only have the old power adapter. Any suggestions? Will the following work? Edit: Anyhow, at least I can charge my airpods pro using my old lightening cable and power adapter.

I just put the case on my wireless iPhone charger. Works fine.

Or use your current iPhone or iPad lightning cable. You don't have to use the cable that came with the airpods. If you use your airpods like me, you'll only need to charge the case every two to four days.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My left AirPod starting making a static noise a month ago. It only happened at the gym, in the locker room, and stopped when I got upstairs to the weight room. I thought it was a weird Bluetooth interference from the class room. Then after a couple weeks it started happening at home. And then it started persisting for longer durations, a few hours.

I ordered a new pair of Gen 2 APP.

Then, because why not, I googled AirPods Pro static noise. And found that this is the sound issues problem that Apple gave a three extended warranty service plan against. I contacted with Apple Support, did a quick chat, and scheduled a service appointment Saturday morning.

20 minutes at the Apple Store and I new (refurbished, presumably) pair of APP EarPods and new ear tips (using my original case). They tested both and said both were affected (even though I didn’t yet have any problems with the right ear), and replaced them free of charge.

Good time, I was 3 months short of the three mark and end of the free service program.

And my gen 2 arrive today, which I’ll return because I didn’t want to spend $200 on new APP just yet. Holding out for that rumored USB C charge port. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Gave my pros to my nephew as I just could never get used to them falling out of my ears no matter what I did. His old ones (regular Airpods) had broken and he actually uses them for hours a day so I was happy to pass them off. He LOVES the noise cancellation as he runs through a warehouse area collecting daily customer orders for a big box store.

So that leaves me without discreet headphones and just a variety of over ears. Was thinking I might get the powerbeats that clip on to your ears, has anyone compared the two?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Gave my pros to my nephew as I just could never get used to them falling out of my ears no matter what I did. His old ones (regular Airpods) had broken and he actually uses them for hours a day so I was happy to pass them off. He LOVES the noise cancellation as he runs through a warehouse area collecting daily customer orders for a big box store.

So that leaves me without discreet headphones and just a variety of over ears. Was thinking I might get the powerbeats that clip on to your ears, has anyone compared the two?

I had to buy these to keep them in during active use. (For passive use, around the home or walking, they stay in ok enough without.)
AhaStyle 3 Pairs AirPods Pro Ear Hooks Covers [Added Storage Pouch] Anti-Slip Ear Covers Accessories Compatible with Apple AirPods Pro (White)

My other set are the Sony XM5 headphones.

I’ve used Bose headphones and earbuds in the past and really liked them. But I killed my necklace versions (QC35, I think they were) using them for exercise — not sweat proof enough — which lead to the APP. But I haven’t used other earbuds to compare.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My left AirPod starting making a static noise a month ago. It only happened at the gym, in the locker room, and stopped when I got upstairs to the weight room. I thought it was a weird Bluetooth interference from the class room. Then after a couple weeks it started happening at home. And then it started persisting for longer durations, a few hours.

I ordered a new pair of Gen 2 APP.

Then, because why not, I googled AirPods Pro static noise. And found that this is the sound issues problem that Apple gave a three extended warranty service plan against. I contacted with Apple Support, did a quick chat, and scheduled a service appointment Saturday morning.

20 minutes at the Apple Store and I new (refurbished, presumably) pair of APP EarPods and new ear tips (using my original case). They tested both and said both were affected (even though I didn’t yet have any problems with the right ear), and replaced them free of charge.

Good time, I was 3 months short of the three mark and end of the free service program.

And my gen 2 arrive today, which I’ll return because I didn’t want to spend $200 on new APP just yet. Holding out for that rumored USB C charge port. :)
Back in the Apple Store this morning for noise issues. Left APP had major sound quality, charging problems and making ear-piercing squeaking noisies yesterday. Did a reset and re-pair which fixed charging and most noise static problems. But still making squeaky noises. Tech is running tests in back room. Will find out if this is my problem or Apples problem.

Hoping it’s Apples problem because I don’t want to buy replacements until they get USB-C charging.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And it's my problem.

The extended service for the audio problems is a one-time offer. So my replacement airpods having audio problems three months is my problem.

Out of warranty replacement is $180 for the ear buds -- still using my three year old case. That's a laughably bad offer when two days ago Gen 2 were on sale for $200.

They're ok enough for me to keep using them for now. I'll have to upgrade later this year, I guess.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I bought the Gen 2.5 AirPods Pro. My Gen 1 are 3 years old, the earpods replaced the beginning of the year under the Apple bad-sound program. And then three months later the replacements started having problems. Apple diagnosed them as also faulty and them told me to pound sound they don’t warranty replacements.

Also, I’ve been having erratic charging problems for a year. And EarPod will spontaneously discharge completely overnight inside the case. Or they will charge when dropped inside but then stop charging when the top closes. They were taking increasing babysitting and fussing and would inevitably be dead when I really needed them and didn’t have time to deal with it.

They were usable and overall worked fine. But I was ready for replacements.

So when the new ones hit $190 last week, I bought.

They are an improvement from the prior model. They are much better at canceling white noise. But I can’t tell if they’re any better at canceling background voices or music (such as in a public place like a gym). As they’re the same shape as the prior version, they don’t fit any better. I had to buy a new pair of silicone wings to keep them in for active use. As their fit for me is adequate to good, I am likely missing their best performance (as with my original pair) compared to those for whom these fit tightly always.

The original gen were unreliable, especially the past year, in auto-connecting to my iPhone or switching between devices. I often had to manually connect them. So far, these new ones are connecting quickly everytime to my iPhone. But I’ve not spent time using them with my iPad to see how they switch devices.

Conversation Mode I’ve had a very little experience with. It seems to work fast and effectively.

Adaptive Mode is the new Transparency, which reviewers are saying great things about. But I rarely used Transparency, and Adaptive is similarly not really a mode that matters to me. I can’t say how much better it is.

They have a USB-C port, which I waited for, and didn’t buy Gen 2 a month earlier. They still charge wirelessly on my charging pad, of course, which is my normal routIne.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Dang… I’m still rocking my original Gen 1 normal AirPods (not pro) that still last about an hour with a full charge just listening to music or a podcast. Never had an issue with them. I also have the gen 1 AirPod Max that I bought for air travel but have ended up using almost nightly at the hotel when I travel for work. Those will still go 3-4 nights between charges with heavy usage (4+ hours per night).

If my work ever slows down and I’m not traveling several weeks each month and can actually stay home and have a normal workout schedule, I’ll probably buy some AirPod Pros just because my regular AirPods are getting long in the tooth and I’ll need to replace them sooner or later.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys, since the pandemic hit, I haven’t used my first gen AirPods as the batteries in the AirPods themselves were dying. i just bought the AirPod Pro Second Generation. I’ve been meaning to do this sooner. They were on sale at Best Buy for $189.99.

I’ve been using them this morning and they do sound very good. I have a lot to learn about the settings for transparency and noise cancellation.

One feature I tried is to use the volume control on the AirPod Pro stem. I could not get it to work. Maybe I didn’t use a specific setting on the iPhone or my fingers didn’t do it right! :)

I’m using an iPhone 12 Pro with the latest iOS 17.1.2

Users who are viewing this thread