What's new

Airpods Pro official - buyers and owners thread (1 Viewer)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Noise Cancellation can be turned off, and from what I've read these also have a mode that allows outside sound IN when listening.
Are you saying you can go beyond transparency mode and turn it off altogether? Because from what my Gruber quote says, transparency is just to allow you to talk to people near you - it does not cut off noise cancellation - it is in fact still fully on, you are just using your microphone for nearby talk - that’s how I understand it

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Are you saying you can go beyond transparency mode and turn it off altogether? Because from what my Gruber quote says, transparency is just to allow you to talk to people near you - it does not cut off noise cancellation - it is in fact still fully on, you are just using your microphone for nearby talk - that’s how I understand it

You're correct, it does not turn off Noise Cancellation. However, from what I've read, Transparency Mode is designed primarily as a safety feature for runners, etc., so that they can hear outside sounds while listening to music. Wouldn't that be enough for your dog walks?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sorry, but I completely disagree. I adjust the volume with my Apple Watch
I don’t wear an Apple Watch. When traveling my iPhone is often in a satchel or pocket. At the gym it’s in a holder that makes the volume buttons hard to press.

So it’s great you don’t need volume adjustment on your earphones.

I do. :)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I was ready to hate these but they are 100% badass. The fit ootb is perfect for me, no Tupperware problem like other IEMs and the NC works great so far. Keepers

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
What part of hey Siri is objectionable to you?
Using it to change volume. Not shouting at headphones on an airplane and waiting for computational response to tweak volume — if it even works without network connection. Button is easier, faster, better — buttons pressed before “hey Siri” even spoken.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
You're correct, it does not turn off Noise Cancellation. However, from what I've read, Transparency Mode is designed primarily as a safety feature for runners, etc., so that they can hear outside sounds while listening to music. Wouldn't that be enough for your dog walks?
We are often talking about big distances - we do loops around the Great Lawn in Central Park in the morning, and the doggies have great freedom - they can be hundreds of feet away from me. If for instance some big dog fight erupts (as opposed to play wrestling) I can hear it at a distance (not my rascals, but I want to then be aware where they are to make sure they don't get involved)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I don't object to Siri for volume - but the watch gives me a visual indication of volume and makes it easier to quickly finagle up/down until I have a perfect volume.

Of course. But the question was not aimed at you. @DaveF has made it quite clear this is not a product he should not buy. He has categorically disregarded it without considering alternative modes of operation. Not every product is going to work for everyone. He's set in his ways and wants to do it his way. Apple's way is different so he shouldn't get all twisted trying to make it work and should simply move on.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’ve not categorically disregarded it. I’ve described its apparent positives and negatives. An obvious weakness is lack of physical volume control.

Clicking a button is self evidently easier than:
"Hey Siri, Raise the volume by 10 percent”
https://lifehacker.com/how-to-get-full-volume-control-on-your-airpods-with-sir-1828743142

Having alternate control options is good, to give everyone the best options for their usage needs.
But then eliminating a fundamental control feature is obviously divisive and limiting.

To suggest that anything but full throated praise means I hate and should never ever consider or discuss a product again is too narrow minded. I reject that view.

AirPods aren’t perfect. They’ve got compromises, some of which are common and some different to the compromises of other earphones. When it’s time to upgrade, I’ll have to decide which set of compromises are best for me.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The Bose and Etymotic earphones I’ve used have inline buttons.
My Etymotic corded in ear buds do not have any controls. I just adjust the volume on my Samsung phone (did the same when I had an iPod Nano before I ran it through the washing machine :wacko:). I could use the Google Assistant (same as Siri), but the hard volume buttons on the phone are easy enough for me.

I wouldn't mind switching to wireless buds, but would want something with a longer battery life and wireless charging. These have decent battery life, but corded charging - - but at least it's USB-C and not the older micro USB.

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Having alternate control options is good,

We've given you three alternate controls that don't require buttons and you keep noting why for your use case they are bad. It's the same as them removing floppys, removing headphone jacks and every other streamlining option that Apple has done over the years, it has driven people with hard coded use cases mad.

If you absolutely positively must have hard buttons these aren't going to work for you. That doesn't make them a bad product. It doesn't require full throated praise, it requires self awareness that your specific use cases and preferences make you a small minority that isn't well suited for a particular product.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
upload_2019-11-2_10-59-9.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member