What's new

Airplane Whooshing Sound (1 Viewer)

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I was sitting on a plane in Dallas on my way to Guadalajara, Mexico earlier in the week. Everything was going well and the pilot announced we would be taking off shortly. I was sitting near the back of the plane. All of a sudden there was a loud whooshing sound that I've never heard before, and I've flown for many years.

It was the emergency slide deploying. Apparently a workorder had been placed to have the lavatories cleaned. Unfortunately the maintenance guy showed up a bit late. The jet had already been buttoned up and the doors alarmed. He opened the door and deployed the slide.

That quickly led to a number of people standing outside with radios and bewildered looks on their faces. Pilot came on and announced that we had a little problem. We weren't going anywhere until it was fixed. Fortunately they had another in a hanger on airport grounds and it was about an hour and a half of sitting on the plane before slide was removed and new package installed. Finally got into Guad about 1 AM.

After that everything went fine, but after 25 or so years of flying that was a first. Maintenance guy wasn't hurt, but I suspect he may not be employed now.

Don Black

Screenwriter
I was amused when I got into a car accident on an airplane. Some (former) Delta employee thought it would be a good idea to bump into the landing gear with his car on the tarmac. They transferred us to another plane and the delay was only an hour or so. Not too bad...

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Those of us around NYC probably remember the Teterboro crash this past February, when a commuter jet overran the runway on takeoff and wind up slamming through a fence, going over Rt 46 (which is a busy busy busy highway!) and crashing into a brick warehouse on the other side:

http://www.hasbrouck-heights.com/news05/teb1_05.shtml

A couple of smashed cars and stunned faces!

As far as wooshing sound, I know the thrust reversers can really make a loud wooshing sound but that is obviously on a landing...

Jay

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks