What's new

Airplane! and The Naked Gun films on Blu...? (1 Viewer)

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
I'm not exactly waiting with baited breath but it would be awesome if these ever came to Blu-Ray. I just had a few thoughts after perusing the wish list thread at blu-ray.com:

-Airplane! and The Naked Gun both could use some work in the video department. I used to think Airplane! looked good (especially considering its age and budget) but after watching it again, yeah, it needs some work.

-The extras on the Airplane! SE DVD are very good but are only accessible if you watch the whole film. On Blu, it might be nice to be able to access all the segments from a separate menu.

-All of these films have deleted scenes which regularly show up during TV airings. The Airplane! SE includes three but I have a sneaking suspicion there are more. The trailer for Airplane II includes some footage that isn't in the film or the TV airings (and the trailer isn't on the DVD):

(Oddly, there's a photo of the guy asking about the travelers checks on the back cover of the Airplane II DVD [with the newer artwork] and I remember seeing that and asking, "Who the hell is this?")

-There's also a gag reel from the third Naked Gun film which played during the credits when the film premiered on network TV.

-There's a neat Cinemax making-of special for The Naked Gun 2 1/2:

And then there's Top Secret!, Police Squad, and Brain Donors (executive produced by Jerry and David Zucker).

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
My box set would be Kentucky Fried Movie Airplane All three Police Squad movies Both Hot Shots Top Secret is ok but pretty weak with the others and Airplane two is very funny but made by A different group. I love Airplane, I think it's the funniest movie ever made and watch it whenever I can.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Hot Shots Parts Un et Deux are at Fox (and I doubt Charlie Sheen movies are high on any executive's radar right now), and Kentucky Fried Movie is at Anchor Bay.

If Paramount does do a box set of all of these, I would like to see Top Secret included; the creators talk about the story problems on their commentary. It would probably be more likely that we'd see them grouped by film series.

A Naked Gun box set with the original Police Squad series, all in HD, would be Nirvana.

IIRC, ZAZ were promised they could do Airplane II but for some reason that didn't happen. They didn't say why in the commentary, only that they can't bring themselves to watch it. It'll probably get released separately.

Scott D S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Scott Saslow
Originally Posted by MatthewA

A Naked Gun box set with the original Police Squad series, all in HD, would be Nirvana.

IIRC, ZAZ were promised they could do Airplane II but for some reason that didn't happen. They didn't say why in the commentary, only that they can't bring themselves to watch it. It'll probably get released separately.

I like your boxset idea!

Re: Airplane II, I think the ZAZ team said that Paramount wanted them to do it but they declined. And it's too bad we'll probably never get Airplane II writer/director Ken Finkleman's thoughts on it but I doubt he cares about it or any of his other Hollywood work - he's better known for his TV work in Canada (most notably the dark satire The Newsroom which is very good).

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Originally Posted by MatthewA

Hot Shots Parts Un et Deux are at Fox (and I doubt Charlie Sheen movies are high on any executive's radar right now), and Kentucky Fried Movie is at Anchor Bay.

Huh? They should strike while the iron is hot! Charlie Sheen will never be more popular than he is right this minute. If I were at Fox, I'd ask him to make Hot Shots: Menage a' Trois right now!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks