What's new

Air Purifiers (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Can someone recommend me a good air purifier? How well does it help with allergies? How often do you have to change the filters?

~T

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
how much do you want to spend? I assume you want to purify the whole house?
I'd consider an electronic air cleaner installed on your furnace/AC if you have a forced air furnace and/or central AC. Honeywell makes the best IMO, they remove smoke, dust, pollen larger viruses (according to them anyway) they work somewhat similar to those ionic ripoff things sharper images sells, they charge the incoming particles then they stick to oppositely charged plates before the air leaves. The downside, they run probably $350-ish plus install, but they do work very well, you can leave your furnace fan on 24/7 and it should help with your alegies. They do need to be cleaned periodically, you can wash the cells in the dishwasher without detergent or just hose them off, they sell a seperate monitor that tells you when they need to be cleaned also (or did, it's been awhile since I've installed one)
here's a link
http://content.honeywell.com/yourhom...aners/f300.htm

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I think I will just start with my room. I tend to start sneezing and to have a runny nose a little bit after I wake up.

~T

David Susilo

Screenwriter
Considering a good hepa filter will coast around $100 (and about $50 in filter replacement each year), you might as well use the whole-house system for $350 and you don't need to replace the filter, just cleaning it.

I use the F300 system and never been happier. No allergies in the morning, no odour from cooking. Absolutely great.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I bought a Holmes air purifier for my room. Do I need to have this running 24/7? It gets a bit cold at night when I'm sleeping. I'd like to have it on high during the day and off at night.

~T

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Thi - quick question. Are you sleeping with your windows open??? If so, you will need to close them if you want the purifier to be effective at all.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I picked up a Honeywell a year or so ago. I leave it running 24/7, but turned it off recently as I need a new filter ($69 replacement...ugh) since it got a bit stinky.

It works great, though. My girlfriend used to sniffle her way to sleep at night and that's no longer a problem.

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
I've got two honeywells and they do a good job. They capture a lot of dust that comes in from the open windows and I noticed a whole lot less dust in my office on all my computer hardware.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Dennis, my window is closed. I could have used the air purifier during the hot summer nights.

~T

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone tried that Sharper Image filterless air cleaner. Before I shell out $300-400 I want to make sure it does the job. I rent a room in a house with cats and smokers and I wake up each morning with a head full of snot.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
Larry:

Don't bother with that one. It does nothing as far as air-borne allergens and bacteria and it's a pain to clean. Get a HEPA-approved/compliant purifier only.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I have a pair of Sharper Image Ionic-breeze Quadra's. they work great! Of course I am speaking as a smoker. They clean cigarette smoke up very well. You just have to wipe the stainless-steel "Rods" down to clean them, no filters to buy/replace.
Yes they are pricey, but I just saw a radio-Shak flier the other day that had RS brand air-cleaners for less than half the price:)
But they're kinda cool... They have no moving parts...But it you put your face right in front of one, they have a cooling breeze!
I'll buy a few more of the cheaper ones if they work as well.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
I tried one of the Sharper Image units for a while. I can't speak to its efficacy for smoke removal, but mine only worked as an electrostatic dust magnet which was not nearly as effective as my television.

I already had a Honeywell unit attached to my heating/cooling system. I'm additionally using an Austin HealthMate Jr. for the main floor of the house now. The jury's still out-I was hoping for a greater reduction in pet bird-related dust.

Don Black

Screenwriter
According to Consumer Reports, the Ionic Breeze rated dead last in their test of air filters. Basically, their review stated that it did nothing and did it expensively. :thumbsdown:

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
My neighbor who has a Pub in his basement picked up a Honeywell that a local Hospital was getting rid off. Normally the smoke haze is very very thick but with this Honewell it is amazing. I can breathe again when I visit.
I give the Honeywell a :emoji_thumbsup:

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
So no one minds the cool breeze while they're sleeping at night?

Has it given anyone a dry mouth? I've been occasionally getting one when I wake up in the middle of the night.

~T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks