Air mattresses

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ari, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

Can anyone recommend an online source for air mattresses?? What brands do you recommend?? I keep on seeing Coleman, Sevylor, Serta and Intex but have no idea what's a good buy (Aerobed is too expensive).

2. andrew markworthy

Can't recommend a brand, but I do have a cautionary tale. We've just moved into a new house and in the week before the furniture arrives we're using airbeds. I spent half an hour trying to inflate one until the sweat was pouring off me (literally) - I pumped and pumped but the bed never seemed to inflate all that much. Only then did it occur to me to check if there were two inlet valves, and yes there were - the one I was using and the other one left open. :b

3. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

I have a Coleman Queen sized airbed, been using it once in a while for the past 5 years. It has a footpump and takes about 10-15 minutes to be fully inflated. I only had to patch it once as one of my guest happened to stick it with a pen. Having one is actually a good thing. U never know when people come in to visit or when u have to visit someone who lives in a one bedroom apartment. The airbed is far better to sleep on than the carpet floor.

4. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

I've had 3 different kinds. The first two were Coleman and some other brand. Both developed slow leaks in less than 3 months. I bought an aerobed last year and it is great. Built in pump inflates it in 1 minute. It is worth the extra $$$ if someone is really going to sleep on it often enough.

5. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

6. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

Andrew; That's quite the sadly pathetic tale!

Thanks for making me smile!

AND shake my head[​IMG]

Brent

7. andrew markworthy

Brent, I should perhaps have added that we had borrowed the airbed and the person lending it to us had said 'just insert the pump here'. She'd forgotten to tell me about the other valve (which in fairness she thought was sealed).

Actually, getting back on topic, as an alternative, might I suggest a futon? We have two thin futons which are easily rolled up and stored. Individually they're fairly uncomfortable unless you like a *very* firm bed, but placed one on top of another they make a pretty comfortable bed.

8. Marc_Sulinski

Marc_Sulinski Supporting Actor

I would recommend an Aero bed. It has a built-in air compressor for quick, effortless inflation. The one that I have is about as thick as a standard mattress, but I have seen a newer model that has another chamber below the "mattress" portion to simulate a box spring. It is almost as tall as a standard bed.

9. Anthony F.

Anthony F. Stunt Coordinator

I'll second Aerobed. Check places like Overstock.com. Sometimes they're discounted well below the insane retail price.