Air mattress and 12v pump

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Jay H, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    I just bought a twin size Coleman air mattress (74"x40"x9.5" high) and looking at it last night, the valve to inflate it is quite wide,not the standard size of say a beachball. I'm wondering if it would be feasible due to the volume to use one of those 12v cigarette cigarette lighter air compressors to inflate something this large? I have a cheap one from Home Depot that says do not operate continuously for 20 minutes before letting it cool down. PLus, there's the fact that the nozzle is only made to inflate a small diameter valve and I would have to duct tape it or so. But I'm wondering if anybody knows how long would it take to inflate the mattress using this little car air compressor. At least to the point where it's fairly firm and I could use a hand pump to fill the rest up.

Jay

2. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

I have the same air mattress but I bought the Coleman battery powered air pump with the correct nozzle for around $15-$20 at walmart. Its handy for not only inflating the mattress but also to deflate it.

3. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Don't forget the car lighter compressor is assumed to be under a pressure load far greater than the common air mattress and maybe with the right adapter could easily pump it under the 20 minute suggestion (the little air rafts for swimming usually took no longer than a minute or two on mine).

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

You should be able to use a hairdrier to fill it up as well...at least if yours is similar to my coleman air mattress. I then just use a small foot pump to get it firm.

5. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    The hair dryer would shoot hot air into the mattress and the condensation would build up. But I just bought a $10 cig. lighter air pump from Target. The Coleman battery one was $20 and it was basically only for the coleman brand inflatables.

I wonder if I could use it for the sex do.. Oh I mean, life raft... yeah... life raft too? [​IMG]

Jay

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Mine has a button I can depress that shuts down the heater coils so it only blows cool air.

7. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Ahhhhhhhh, cool air. I have really short hair and don't use a hair dryer so I'm behind the times on hair dryers.

I tried out the $10 little 12v airpump and it works pretty good, the middle nozzle fits the coleman bag and it has 2 other sizes. Deflates and inflates pretty quick. And the twin size mattress fits PERFECT in the wagon bed of my outback. I'm all set!

Jay

8. Jim_F

Jim_F Screenwriter

I used a regular tire inflation compressor for a full sized air matress a few years ago. It took a long, long time, a couple of hours. I could have blown it up faster, and that's allowing for time spent passed out.