What's new

Air Force One (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Executive Decision is another one that can get the feelings going.
I think Executive Decision would be the film that would more strongly invoke those feelings. I think the situation in that film is more true to life and the danger that America faces than Air Force One. In E.D. we are dealing with Islamic militants who are plotting to crash a passenger plane full of deadly nerve gas right into Washington as opposed to Russians who want to hold the President hostage to demand the release of a comrade.

I think that E.D. is the type of film that critics like Roger Ebert wanted A.F.O. to be. Less of a "Die Hard on a Plane" film and more of a suspense thriller.

For what it was, I did find A.F.O. to be a perfectly acceptable.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
Really? I thought the crash was horrible when I first saw it in the theater. I haven't watched my DVD in a few years -- when I did, the neighbors complained because the volume was up too high :) it's a pretty good surround-sound movie -- but I imagine it would look worse now. In a few decades, it might look nostalgic.

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I expected and got a popcorn flick here. The only 2 parts that bugged me were:

1. The bad CGI.

2. Glenn Close as the VP.

OTherwise I enjoy it alot when I break it out for the yearly viewing.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
Executive Decision is another one that can get the feelings going.
I've always liked ED since seeing it theatrically and I think it to be a much superior film to Air Force One. The tension in ED is almost unbearable at times. The only downside is Steven Segal but thankfully he gets killed off pretty quick :)

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
I've thought about watching this film again but after 9/11 I find I conciously avoid it. I have enough terrorism to worry about without seeing it on-screen. It's just too close to home.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed AFO, the only part of AFO that really killed me was the -terrible- CGI of the plane hitting the water. The plane acted as though it was hitting a flat surface, not water, and there was no "give" the plane also rolled funny.. that moment almost killed the whole experience for me.

Otherwise, I enjoyed it.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I think they did that because they wanted to make it not look like hitting the water was nothing. Many movies make that out to be very minor and they probably wanted to make it a little more of an impact than that.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
I enjoy this movie, too. Sure, it's contrived, predictable, and even kinda silly in places. But it's kind of like comfort food; it's just fun.
Harrison Ford just has the ability to be convincing in just about anything, and Gary Oldman always makes a good villain. Wolfgang Petersen is also usually pretty good about keeping tension pretty high, even if it's not there in the script. And I always get a kick out of Goldsmith's score, too :D
The whole Xander Berkeley thing does bug me, though. It really makes no sense at all that he reveals himself at the end, unless he just really, really hates the President. "I trusted you!" "So will the next President." ???!! I don't think so, Tim. When you go over to the rescue ship instead of him, that's pretty much it for your career.
Anyway, I'll freely admit the movie's many flaws, but it's one that I still enjoy in spite of them.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
For anyone that cares, ABC is showing Air Force One tonight in HD (I'm assuming it's HD because ABC pretty much shows all their movies in HD, but don't know if it'll be hacked to 1.85 since I'm pretty sure its OAR is 2.35). I'll probably check out parts of it just to see how much better the video quality is over the DVD.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
And as I assumed one thing, ABC trips me up by showing Air Force One via P/S and not even with a tight transfer as it looks more like EDTV, not HDTV (720p).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Quote: "Play catch with this guy's eyeballs"!

I love to hear the way the Network or whoever redoes the dialog to replace the objectional language. Die Hard is another good one. I think I'll watch the DVD tonight.

Beau

Supporting Actor
I love to hear the way the Network or whoever redoes the dialog to replace the objectional language. Die Hard is another good one.
I'd like to nominate Die Hard 2 as the FUNNIEST movie edited for television.

"Tell me, what sets off the metal detectors first? The lead in your butt or the stuff in your brains? Fat head."

And who can forget "Yippe ki-yay Mista Falcon!!!!!!!

Bill Buklis

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bill Buklis
Ahh, Air Force One. This is a great flick. All I have to say is this president gets my vote!

I'm pretty sure the DVD is anamorphic. Although it was a pretty early release for DVD, so I'm not sure how the transfer holds up compared to more recent discs. Despite being a popcorn flick, this DVD has one of the better commentary tracks out there - great stuff from Wolfgang Petersen.

That pane crashing effect was pretty bad even by the standards of the time. It's the only major flaw in the film, but still not enough to detract from the fun.

As for Berkely, I believe there were more scenes that fleshed out his character more and described why he was a traitor. But for pacing and other reasons, they all ended up on the cutting room floor. Petersen talks about it during the commentary.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I watched it the other night. I had not seen it in awhile. I did not remember how dark the film was as well. At least more so than other films of this type. I think I'll get the DVD. I have avoided it because I was thinking that it was only a matter of time before Columbia revisited the film, but if the A/V quality and commentary are good, that's enough for me. I know that Circuit City sells it in a 2 pack with "In the Line of Fire" for like 20 bucks. That's a no brainer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks